Add Disclaimer To Material List

William

One more Schedule I'd like to see is a plan note Schedule. Place a number and add a note, it will clean up the plan a little. I now use the plant schedule converted to a plan note schedule using an invisible plant to get the labels I need. Thanks to Joe for that.

These type comments have always puzzled me? Chief already have the capability to use and import tables created in WORD with the ability to be  filled in, edited, formatted,  and save/reuse in Chief. I know you are aware of this -- just wondering why the phantom plant method is preferable? Seems like it would just "junk up" the plan?

Gerry,

This concept allows a small symbol to be placed at the location in the Plan where you want a "Callout".  That minimizes the need for a lot of notes on the Plan - particularly when the notes could be repetitive.  IOW, a callout (square for example) with the note number is what's shown in the Plan, referring to the corresponding note in the schedule.

Gerry,

Please explain how you can add a "keyed note" to a plan and have it automatically be added to the table.  This is exactly what the "Note Schedule" provides.  You add one of the "invisible plants" and edit the Name to the contents of the note.  That automatically is added to the Schedule.

Mick:

plant schedules are " live" only for plants which are only place holders in this application. No direct correlation at all here but sounds good.You may want to try out Chief's capabilities?

As noted I just heard this tip 1 hr ago , so have not tried it yet , to see if it works as expected , I was planning on doing a Forum search about it to get more info actually.

M.

Gerry,

Please explain how you can add a "keyed note" to a plan and have it automatically be added to the table.  This is exactly what the "Note Schedule" provides.  You add one of the "invisible plants" and edit the Name to the contents of the note.  That automatically is added to the Schedule.

I guess I don't understand why adding and editing a plant label is more straight forward than just directly editing a table which is why I suggested a video which you said you were into now. Always looking for faster better?

Gerry,

Here's an example:

The thing about this is that you can open the "Note Callout" and edit the Text right there.  The note number on the Plan and the Note in the Schedule are automatically coordinated.  Doing this with Tables doesn't provide the same automatic coordination.  You could have the wrong number which would refer to a different note - not at all what was intended.

post-47-0-64751600-1425414824_thumb.jpg

Joe: sounds  like you're describing "keyed notes" which is relatively easy and more direct using macros and tables. Maybe I'm missing something. Still puzzled as to why so many prefer the complex/limited over? Video?

It automatically numbers the notes using the phantom plant method, very fast and easy. you can also copy any number for the same note elsewheree on the plan

I'll do a video if anyone is interested, Joe invented a great thing here, I just have it in my template plan and it's ready to go instantly. love it a lot until Chief adds this to the Schedules

PS I started another thread with the video .and  plan

Can we ask why? The materials list is accurate to what is in the model. The numbers may not make much sense, but they are correct.

To clarify my question, I'm referring to a disclaimer like the one that is shown on page 1225 of the Chief Architect X6 Reference Manual:

"The Materials List is based on certain 

assumptions that may not match your
building style. Chief Architect makes no representation
as to the accuracy or reliability of the
Materials List generated by Chief Architect.
Always compare the Materials List with a manual
take-off before providing a quote or ordering
materials for a job." 

I'll do a video if anyone is interested, Joe invented a great thing here, I just have it in my template plan and it's ready to go instantly. love it a lot until Chief adds this to the Schedules

I guess you knew I'd say YES Please , perhaps we should start a new thread about this though , so other can find it in the future easily?

That way William may get his Answer finally too. 

M.

M.

I just took some time to try Joey's suggested method for isolating remodel material from existing material in post 21 above, and Joe's elaboration of the method in post 46.

It works to a degree.

I'm able to isolate many things including walls, windows, doors, cabinets, etc; but the area that this system falls apart is with floors and ceilings as they are part of the room definition .  I can't isolate the new from the existing; there is no way to put new and existing rooms  on a separate layers.  In other words, anything that is associated with the room DBX including molding cannot be isolated.

This forces me to revert to either deleting everything not in the scope of the remodel, or using a marquee select for the material list of the remodel area.  Both of these methods are not very precise, and it still leaves me with the problem of defining new and existing  floor and ceiling in the area of the model that must remain.

I've also experimented with using walls with no room definition to eliminate the floor and ceiling which eliminates the unwanted elements; but then the model is no longer correct.

There is some benefit to following Joey and Joe's method, but it's a lot of trouble for very little gain.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting thread. Has anybody found or put together a workshop for a Chief Materials list? 

I have been using X5 for a couple years now but have put off learning the materials list. I have been doing lumber lists manually, but I would love to learn to use CA materials lists because it might save a bunch of time. So far, I have come up with two questions right away:

1. How can I tell chief to build my exterior walls @ 24" o.c. and my interior walls @ 16" o.c.?

2. The builder I work for uses 2x10 lumber for all window and door headers. We use 2 boards if the opening is 4' or less and 3 if it is more than 4'. Is there a way to tell Chief to do this? I see that you can set the header depth based on the span, but I don't see that you can set the amount of boards based on the span.

Thanks, and please share if anybody knows of a good workshop or webinar on Materials Lists

Lee

No Workshop I am aware of yet.........

1. Set the materials for the walls via the wall definition tab as needed , the material+spacing are in the Library and make sure "Use Wall Framing Material" is checked.

2. you can specify the Header materials in the Framing Defaults or Build Framing DBX>Headers/Openings   , set all to 2x10 as needed. Not sure it can do 2 or 3 pieces based on width though?

M.

post-315-0-31842300-1426704693_thumb.jpg

I love using the material list been using chief since 6 came out.  I have had a lot of carpenter experience and commercial project management experience, you should never rely on the material list exclusively, you should have your own template or estimating list on what materials that need taking off.  I draw the plans just so I can get the chief material list as a guide and use my own estimating program with a template set up, and yes each job is a little different and needs tweaking. that why its called estimating.  I know longer use or have not used the lumber yards or supplier's in a long time to do Estimate, because their where never close to begin with.  I can also turn my estimate around faster to the customer.

Chief still could use help though

I just drew a work shed for a client today and put in a 2x6 framed floor, on the material list the subfloor came up but not the 2x6 joist

On a house plan click on a room. then get material list just for that room. and you will get the sheetrock for ceiling but not the walls  what's up with that. now if you select the area around the room you will get the sheetrock on the walls after a little experience you know what to look for.  someday I might get my flat soffits without have to draw them. 

its not perfect nothing is just use a template for materials list and get what you can out of chief and add the rest if need be its still a fast and accurate way to do it.

My 2 cents worth anyhow

by the way I am not a English Major just a sliver picker

Thanks

Pete Nistler

Pete's Cabin Care and Remodel

1. How can I tell chief to build my exterior walls @ 24" o.c. and my interior walls @ 16" o.c.?

Define one wall type for the interior walls and another wall type for the exterior walls.

You can nominate any stud spacing you want by creating a Framing Material Type and in the Define Material dbx, change the Spacing OC to whatever you want. 

Thanks all, that helps. I fixed the stud spacing so it is defined by the wall type. Still don't think it's possible to define the amount of header boards based on span. I will just have to learn the rest through trial and error. I sure wish there was a step-by-step tutorial. Does anybody know how to tell Cheif not to frame the gable walls? We use trusses and they come with framed-in gables wall trusses on the ends, so I don't need lumber for that part. Thanks again.

Lee,

Set up your header defaults for your typical windows. If a window differs in header count, size, or material; it can be adjusted in the window framing DBX, and will report the change to the material list.

The window defaults will also allow editing of size of the header based on span. You can customize this DBX based on your load requirements.

Use a wall type with no framing for the gable walls.

Of course that is an option,  however I find that if you put in a gable end truss and rebuild framing,  the studs will not rebuild.  You must put the END TRUSS in and then REBUILD WALL FRAMING.  

Lee,

Set up your header defaults for your typical windows. If a window differs in header count, size, or material; it can be adjusted in the window framing DBX, and will report the change to the material list.

The window defaults will also allow editing of size of the header based on span. You can customize this DBX based on your load requirements.

I am struggling to find a window framing dbx. Is it different than the window specification dbx? I can't find where you can specify a header for a specific window.

Of course that is an option,  however I find that if you put in a gable end truss and rebuild framing,  the studs will not rebuild.  You must put the END TRUSS in and then REBUILD WALL FRAMING.  

Thanks Dshall, adding end trusses worked really well. Speaking of trusses, how can a build a truss where the bottom chord extends all the way to the fascia and creates a flat soffit?