Printing Problem In X7 - Windows 8.1

mscpbd

Go to solution Solved by mscpbd,

Hello everyone,

I am having issues with printing anything from X7 in Windows 8.1.  I have a dino of a printer Xerox 8830 and I have been using the Xerox 510 drivers - 64-bit - with no problem, until this last version of Chief.  I can print an older (pre X7) and the print file came out as a .plt file.  Everytime I print "to file" in Chief using the Xerox 510 drivers - HPGL/2 it wants to save them as .prn files.  ALL I get when I send those to the printer are 8.5 wide portion of the plan, perfect scale.  I have checked ALL the settings in the printer, driver and Chief and I find nothing that would cause this... help.  I can't "save as" a .plt file and have them work either.   I tried Chiefs Tech. support dept and gave up after sitting on hold for a good while.

Debra

I have been having the same trouble with X7. Im using windows 8.1 and an HP design jet 500. I was using X6 and it all worked good. Now with X7 it tells me that the printer is set to 0 DPI and wont print. The  printer box that pops up shows the DPI at 0 but its greyed out so I cant change it. I went to HP website to check for newer driver and they no longer support my printer. I just tried printing to PDF and then printing it and that works but the scale is off a bit.

Any ideas? Is there a trusted web site for drivers other than HP?

When printing from PDF make sure you uncheck the option to scale the PDF to fit the paper when you print. I'm not sure about the HP printer issue. If it worked in X6 it should work in X7. Please work with our support team to make sure they have the exact specs for the driver you are using so that we can reproduce the problem.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

I'll try your suggestion about printing from PDF. But it would be nice to be able to print direct again. I have talked to a computer guru and he is going to come help me with printer drivers and see if we can get it going.

I'll let you know what we figure out.

I have been having the same trouble with X7. Im using windows 8.1 and an HP design jet 500. I was using X6 and it all worked good. Now with X7 it tells me that the printer is set to 0 DPI and wont print. The  printer box that pops up shows the DPI at 0 but its greyed out so I cant change it. I went to HP website to check for newer driver and they no longer support my printer. I just tried printing to PDF and then printing it and that works but the scale is off a bit.

Any ideas? Is there a trusted web site for drivers other than HP?

I've had some success with selecting the 'Save as PDF' option and then switching to my HP print.  It then seems to hold that dpi, although I have a different HP printer (same problem). I was able to resolve that issue with a new driver.

That said I continue to have a very difficult time printing directly to my HP 110 with X7 and Windows 8.1.  It's quirky enough that it's better to go to PDF first--too many bad prints (cut off portions of page, drop outs).

The file extension is not important when using print to file. .plt, .prn either way it works the same. The data that is sent to the printer is placed into the file to be replayed when it is opened and sent to the actual printer.

What is important is that both you and the person who is using the file have the exact same printer driver.

If you have windows 8 and they have windows 7 that may not be possible.

Here is a link to a windows article on the subject:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/print-to-file#1TC=windows-7

As mentioned earlier, the better solution when taking a file to another computer for printing is to use a PDF file.

As far as the HP 500 and other printing issues; make sure to work with our technical support to try to find a solution.

• 2 months later...

I just downloaded X7 yesterday and am now having trouble with printing to a PDF - It works, I am just losing my color in my images, everything is coming out black and white (and yes I have checked the "display in color when possible" dbx box.  I am frustrated to tears - I was supposed to have this submitted two hours ago and have been trying to figure this out the whole time.

Sandi,

You need to make sure that "color" is selected both in Chief's printing DBX, as well as the PDF printer driver, unless you are using Chief's "Save as PDF." If you are using separate PDF software rather than Chief's internal PDF creator, then color needs to be checked in both places. Also, you might open the individual images, and make sure that you don't have anything checked under "Display Options."

Thank you for responding, Richard.  If I select "color" then all of my wall layer colors, dimension line colors, etc come through.  I want everything in black and white except my imported jpegs.  I would absolutely love to be able to use Chief's "Save as PDF" but all of my Jpegs are black and white as well.  The weird thing is, in the preview print panel, it is showing it correctly, but it does not "print" correctly.

I have tried the same process with 6 different PDF printers.  I got one to work correctly (the "PaperPort Image Printer") the only problem with that one is the highest DPI for it is 600.  No good.  This will be going on a large screen in front of the city historical commission, so the DPI has to be much greater.

Sandi,

I don't know any way to get a mixture of B&W plans with colored images on the same page, unless you have chosen a B&W layer set for the plans. In other words, everything has to be color or everything B&W in the layout. If everything in layout is color, to get the images correct, then the B&W plans need to have B&W as their "color." A few minutes with layer sets to create ones that are B&W only, and you should be good. Maybe someone else know a way around this.

Clearly, every page has color. That means the individual views will have color, too. (You can't switch off colors in individual views,  although could "switch off" color in individual images by changing them to grayscale.) So, in your example, the plan and CAD views had to have been sent to Layout with a B&W layer set. Obviously you have those already, so just pick the views while in Layout and change to the correct layer set using the Layer Display Options that pops up in the Edit Toolbar when you pick a view.

• 1 month later...

x17.2.0.69 on win7 64bit

or

x17.3.1.1.0 64bit on win8

now both wont print from .layout file iso A1 1:100 to my HP 2500 without cutting off the print about 1/4 way thru printing.

these are .plan files started in x6 and opened in x7 to continue development.

never had a problem in the past.

tried plenty of options and printer settings for 2 hours, to no avail.

HOWEVER

when I print to pdf (using cutepdf writer) and then print the pdf to the printer, all is well.

x6 was working fine on win7 at least.

this proves to me there is a problem with the printer driver in CA x7.

this happens currently on HP T2500 at (at least iso A1) paper sizes and is 100% repeatable.

anyone else?

the other thing that happens in x7 (and I think x6) is when I print direct from a .plan file to the printer

say a floorplan layerset with text (rich text? will have to check) it inverts all the text 180 degrees to that text's origin in the drawing!!

go figure...

this happens on multiple printers at different paper sizes (eg iso A3) and is 100% repeatable.

anyone else?

cheers,

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I feel your pain.

I posted this issue a few months back:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4415-x7-printing-issues/?hl=%2Bprinting+%2Bissues

We ended up having to change the way we operate...we have to send everything to PDF's before we print.

I talked to Chief, and I posted it here, and basically that's what came of it.