Roof line

geirrosset

Go to solution Solved by Rich_Winsor,

So I can't figure out how to do this... I have a garage (6x4m) with the two shorter walls being gable walls. I am planning to extend a new section out from one of the long walls with a gable wall which means it will come into the old roof at a 90 degree angle. How do I make sure that the tops of the two roofs is at the same hight? I can't seem to set a different angle for the two directions (A and B).

Geir

post-735-0-60175900-1395054380_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I was gonna ask just that. It looked like it deconstructed the roof and made it look like just two roof planes leaning up against each other. Joining them might fix the ridge where the texture doesn't wrap. Can't help thinking that this should have been easier. Using dbxes to do something this simple seems unnecessary. Why isn't it possible to click select the ridge line itself and move it up and down vertically, thus changing the roof angle on both sides... Or one could have used align on the two ridge lines...

Geir

I believe you're new, so welcome to the forum. It's all part of learning a new program, which I assume you're doing. There are many ways to "skin a cat" (sorry cat lovers). It's whatever you get use to. As you begin to learn/work this program "some" things start to make more sense on why it is done in a certain way and then there are things I still don't understand why it's done a certain way. :wacko:   By the way, if you are going to be on the forum, it's nice to have a signature with your name, program version and your setup. Have a great day. 

So here it is finally. Thanks for your help. Still need to tweak the terrain to get a correct slope. But otherwise this should be adequate to apply for a building permit. New section in red. Red cube is just a placeholder for our house.

Any suggestions as to improvements are welcome.

Geir

post-735-0-80742700-1395660645_thumb.jpg

Now I remembered another couple of question I was struggling with. First of all the gutters. They look like they are a square box type. Does Chief have round ones in the standard library? And where do I find the downpipes? Can't see any in any sample drawings. Do I have to just make them out of a cylinder? And secondly the roof. I would like to use something like this: http://www.icopal.no/Produkter/Skraa%20tak/Decra/Elegance.aspx It's a clay/concrete tile roof (you also get metal panels which look like this) and It's what our house has atm and our garage will have the same thing. Not sure what to look for in the library. I guess it would have to be a "model" as it is a 3D shape, rather than just a texture. Can't see any sample images/models with anything but asphalt shingles...

Geir

Hi Ho Geir, I'm going to tell you everything I know about gutters and downspouts in Chief Architect. I too searched the sample drawings in vain looking for just one example where downspouts were used. I even started a thread in the HomeTalk forum before I upgraded to Chief. Here is that link:

http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware.com/showthread.php?18992-The-Great-Missing-Downspout-Conspiracy&highlight=downspout

Chief does have an assortment of gutter styles in the Core Catalogs under the Architectural/Exteriors/Exterior Attachments section. As for downspouts the only ones I have found are located in the Chief Architect 3D library under the "Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing" section. You will have to download the "Water Supply and Drainage" package. This package contains some very rudimentary bent and straight sections of downspout. Be forewarned that getting these parts to line up to form a decent representation of a downspout is an exercise in aggravation. Just to show you it can be done I have attached the image of the one and up to this point only downspout I ever created with HDP'14.

As for your roof tile you will probably want to explore the various manufacturers offerings in the "Materials and Surfaces" section of the 3D Library.

post-126-0-06071300-1395729623_thumb.png

post-126-0-81019700-1395729644_thumb.png

Here is a stretchable downpipe that I have been using for years.

It may be of some use.

You can add more stretch planes if you need them.

I think this was an older Chief symbol that I added stretch planes to.

If you use it and stretch it, you can regenerate the 2D block. 

Thank you both! I find it a bit odd that it isn't a more accessible part of CA. Have the tech team just decided that this is one the very few things on a house that is not important? The software is so advanced in almost every other aspect. I have never seen a house without them. The fact that a client might not ask to see them is, I think, irrelevant. The final image just looks better and more real when they are included.

Planning how and where the water runs off not only the roofs, but the property itself, is a big deal. Our neighbor didn't take it into account when building his house in the early nineties and the mud around his house almost caved his cellar in as it was saturated with water running down slope under ground towards his house from where our house sits. I'm not saying that it's the job of someone doing 3D visualization to plan for all this, but as most houses have downspouts I think it would be nice to be able to include them in the final rendering and maybe even to be able to show simple pipes under ground to indicate where the water will be led off to just to show a client that you have thought about it. The actual solution need more engineering and knowledge of the terrain.

• Solution

Thank you both! I find it a bit odd that it isn't a more accessible part of CA. Have the tech team just decided that this is one the very few things on a house that is not important? The software is so advanced in almost every other aspect. I have never seen a house without them. The fact that a client might not ask to see them is, I think, irrelevant. The final image just looks better and more real when they are included.

Planning how and where the water runs off not only the roofs, but the property itself, is a big deal. Our neighbor didn't take it into account when building his house in the early nineties and the mud around his house almost caved his cellar in as it was saturated with water running down slope under ground towards his house from where our house sits. I'm not saying that it's the job of someone doing 3D visualization to plan for all this, but as most houses have downspouts I think it would be nice to be able to include them in the final rendering and maybe even to be able to show simple pipes under ground to indicate where the water will be led off to just to show a client that you have thought about it. The actual solution need more engineering and knowledge of the terrain.

You're preaching to the choir here, Geir. From the basic layout of the lot terrain 

to the final aesthetic of the building façade, gutters and downspouts play an integral

part in how a design unfolds. Hard to believe they are given such short shrift here.