Chief File Won't Open

mecacarl

Not sure why my Chief file will not open any more. Originally I created the design on my Mac....I recently purchased a PC and then "Activated" chief on the PC, and opened that same file on The PC.

Once I started using The Mac again, the file stopped opening on both The Mac & The PC.....I need help!....What went wrong?.....-----> This is the message I'm getting...... "File being read is terminated early"...........When I click on (Show Details) This is what it saids-------->/Users/autobuild/p4sync/dev/releases/16/chief/source/Document.cpp(2036): Warning #272004602

"File being read is terminated early."

02/22/2015 11:57:11 PM

Build: 16.4.1.20OSX

PLEASE HELP.......IT'S ALOT OF WORK TO HAVE TO DO AGAIN!..... Oh...... ( Chief Architect X6) New to Chief I attached the file

Often this is caused by using a USB stick and not properly ejecting it. Some USB sticks are very slow at writing so you need to make sure that if you are transfering a file in this manner that you always wait for it to finish writing by telling the OS to safely eject the device.

There may be other causes as well, such as some sort of network failure or disk corruption.

I have worked with end users who work from USB storage devices or even from Google Drive or Dropbox. Such storage locations and devices are for transport and storage of tiles not for use as a location to actively work on a plan or layout file. Send a copy of your file to Tech Support for evaluation. In the mean time if you have been actively using a USB or other secondary location for your files being actively worked other than your physical hard drive, knock that off. Chief automatically makes back up copies of files as you work (on a PC they are stored in an "Archive folder" located in "My Documents - Chief Architect X6 (or whatever you are using) Data". I wish you some luck, as you will need some now in such a situation.

DJP

Sherry, I am glad you have not been negatively impacted, I am saying that I have worked with several end users who were negatively impacted using Dropbox, USB dives etc, I have never done so, so neither have I been hurt. Just because you dodged a bullet does not mean you are bullet proof.

DJP

I have Dropbox files that are on the hard drive and synced with cloud storage. I can work on my current drawings when the Internet is down. I have never had a problem with it.

Ditto,  I have never had a problem with it.  The greatest thing since the Yellow golf ball.......  kind of tough to lose a yellow golf ball.

I had my first corrupted plan file EVER (using some variant of CA for 22yrs) this morning in X7 Beta.  Thank goodness for archive files.  I will send the file to CA on Monday...er, hey...it's Monday already, so I guess I'll send it over now.

As for using Cloud services w/CA.  Not a problem as you work on a local live file (it's the way these services are configured).  The issues are with folks who turn on file locking within CA and have live (vs. batch) updates enabled on their cloud service.

DJP--USB problems?  A USB drive is an SSD drive by another name.  Now, if your customers are using files set to live or live incremental backups to a USB NAS device...  well, there will be issues.

jon