Glass Shower Walls

MaryAnne

I keep attempting to make a glass shower walls but when I view them with the camera, they come up as a drywall, a thin wall as I have selected a glass wall but it  is a hit and miss. What am I doing wrong?

I also makes breaks in my wall to attempt the tile from engulfing all the walls and this work either. Any help would be appreciated.

Mary Anne :angry:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Don't make walls, instead create a "partition", size it accordingly, position in front of opening, change "material" to glass and set the transparency for the desired effect.

For the tile work within the shower do the same and clad the walls with partitions, set thickness to represent tile/adhesive thickness and then change the "material" to the desired tile. If the tile work requires for say a horizontal decorative inset then use three partitions stacked on top of each other sized height wise accordingly. You can now control the tile independently within each section. Just a note that dependent upon the partitions width to height ratio the tile orientation may not be correct, where this occurs just change the material orientation to suit, will need to make a copy of the material if the orientation for the same material varies between panels. If the default orientation is 0 degrees then set the copy to 90 degrees, apply the default or copy to the appropriate panel so the orientation is the same. 

Graham

Basically don't use the wall covering DBX b/c it paints all the walls in a room, use the "wall material region" tool instead,for the tile only, or just break the walls and create a new wall with tile on them. Also don't paint walls.

I completelly disagree.  I do not use wall material region and never have issues with glass shower walls.

I must do a vid.

Don't make walls, instead create a "partition", size it accordingly, position in front of opening, change "material" to glass and set the transparency for the desired effect.......

Very confusing,  I must REMAKE my shower vid.  Many many ways to skin a cat,  I think I have the best way to skin this cat......  but I am open to other methods.

I'm one that prefers to make showers with cabinets (not unlike Scott making exterior columns from cab.'s). Now that we can split the cab. vertically this method is really sweet. Cab's easily accept hardware.

Here's a wee plan using cab's for Glass walls.

(Note that the crown molding is funky on the exterior walls. This is what happens when one changes the wall definition to include tile, and serves to illustrate why to NOT use this for the tile walls.)

EDIT: just realized that the plan wasn't attached

post-72-0-01889100-1425506534_thumb.jpg

Shower from Cabs.zip

Scott, if you use the wall covering from the room DBX, in a shower it will also cover the glass walls from the inside, looks ok from the outside but some angles don't look correct. For me it happens every time, look from the inside of the  shower room

Cheryl,

I used to do this with Cabinets.  However, since X6 provided Material Regions and a Glass Wall Type, I've switched my method to use those items.  Note that whatever settings you create for those items (as well as the door) can be saved in the Library.  It's really easy to put together a Shower now - much faster than before and almost nothing to remember.

Very confusing,  I must REMAKE my shower vid.  Many many ways to skin a cat,  I think I have the best way to skin this cat......  but I am open to other methods.

I will checkout your shower vid, always open to alternative methods, that's the real power of Chief Architect as there are numerous ways to meet ones end objective.

Here's my philosophy. The glass shower surround and tile work are finishing elements that are applied (installed) after the walls are framed & clad. For the tile work the application will protrude beyond the wall substrate equivalent to the thickness of the tile & adhesive (thinset). Cladding the walls with a partition (or whatever does the trick) set to this thickness will accurately reflect this. One can then zoom in to address how the exposed tile edge is to be treated. Same for the glass, I can now see and adjust how the glass panel will intersect with the tile work, will the tiles extend beyond the glass or terminate against the glass inside the shower. Obviously everything depends upon the needs of the user and the required level of control and analysis one requires. For myself, I need to generate a visual of a design but also require a design that reflects as close as possible the construction process in order to anticipate potential issues & problems. Much better to resolve these in advance than on-site.

Graham

This vid ain't happening until I say it is happening or until I do it again or until the computer gods shine their light on me....  sorry guys.... something is amiss.....  I will let you know when it is up.

I've watched just about every video in the sidebar while waiting....

Sorry Moakster,  I bet that was painful....  third trying to upload,  at 82%....  we will see if it works this time....  for some reason this is  long vid....   what a surprise....

Help!  I am a mediocre CA user (beta X7) that knows just enough to get herself into trouble.  When I design shower walls, they always turn the wall color or tile material, depending on what I use.  There is some back and forth on this chain on how to avoid it but I'm not sure I fully understand anyone's answer.  I also am having lots of trouble with detailed tile on shower walls.  I can add two tiles by using the pony wall/upper and lower wall specifications, but I can't figure out how to have more than 2 tiles.  Can someone help?

Backup plan.zip

post-1467-0-86099000-1425580724_thumb.png

1.  Do not "Paint" the walls (almost inevitably you will "Paint" the room instead of a single wall and the glass shower walls will get the same paint as the rest of the walls of the room.

2.  Instead, use "Wall Material Regions" which you can fully control the extents of.  The edges of such regions can even be "broken" and manipulated to be other than simple rectangles.