Layout Pages Still Not Updating X7

nicknz

Worked.

Just ran into it (X7 Beta).   Remember seeing a thread and came back to read for a solution.   I did not want to show "invisible walls" in layout but had already sent the plan.   No matter what I did, they still showed up.   Even closing files...closing the floor plan and reopening it by double clicking the layout...etc.   I tried re-linking the file....nothing.

Opening the DBX in layout and closing it updated it!!!

Thanks!!!

Seems like that method might lead the CA tech guys toward a solution. Hopefully.

Seems like that method might lead the CA tech guys toward a solution. Hopefully.

Just ran into it again with 'architectural blocks"

Again, opening up the DBX in layout view and then closing by clicking "ok" updated it.  (no changes made in box).   I did not just try to hit cancel or "x" it out....I just tried "ok" and it worked fine.

• 2 months later...

I've also encountered the issue, and I did save both my plan and layout to a new place, but can't remember whether this was before or after I ran into problems.

However, assuming I did, it is interesting what happens once you do this. Layout is now saved to a new place together with the plan, which typically looks for layout in the same folder first, but is the link still looking in the old place?

Out testing team has been able to determine one cause of this problem.  We think this is the case that most people are running into.  We should have a fix for this in the 17.2 update that should be available some time in the near future.

Dermot,

I have just had a similar issue occur when sending a plan view to layout with referenced display set on. This was for a subfloor view however it shows up on my other layer sets roof, floor plane etc. When I open the plan view from layout and turn the reference display view off the layout does not update, and when I go back to the plan view from layout again the reference display view is back on again. This is a plan I have been working on for a few weeks with no issues, I have not added any additional external references nor moved plan or layout.       

Perhaps a solution to this would be a tighter relationship between Plan and Layout.

My policy is to open the Layout and to use it as a navigation tool to the Plan(s).  I understand that opening a Layout "automatically" opens the Plan file(s) ....... but those Plan files don't appear in the Project Browser unless you specifically open them.  Consequently I do open them specifically.

Opening a Plan File without opening the Layout File obviously can result in changes not getting updated to the Layout.  Perhaps a solution would be to have an Open Project function that would open the Layout File and all associated Plan Files, adding them to the Project Browser.  It would also be nice if there was a New Project function that would create a file structure (folder & sub-folders) utilizing Layout and Plan Templates and guiding the user thru the Project Data, etc.

The current file access system is IMO too loose and results in the kind of problems being reported here.

Also, as Perry indicated - the "Save As" of a Plan File doesn't create a new Layout File so there will be a disconnect.  This function really need to ask if the Layout File should be copied to the new name as well - with an explanation of the ramifications.

In the long term, having a "Project Structure" that includes the Layout File, Plan File, Project Data, Images, Correspondence, etc would be a better solution.  Chief has a video showing some of this organization (can't remember where off-hand) that was the basis for how I have my projects organized.  A more automatic method of doing this would be appreciated.

+1  great idea

a Chief video on Layout and the Project Browser http://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=project+Broswer

Is there a reason , (for example performance) , that CA doesn't automatically create a Layout file from your default Layout Template in the same folder, when you save the Plan for the 1st time ? or would that be a bad idea for some reason? 

My policy is to open the Layout and to use it as a navigation tool to the Plan(s).  I understand that opening a Layout "automatically" opens the Plan file(s) ....... but those Plan files don't appear in the Project Browser unless you specifically open them.  Consequently I do open them specifically.

I've noticed that if I open a CAD detail from Layout, the plan it belongs to doesn't show up in the browser. As soon as I open a floor plan it does.

I like Joe's suggestions about a 'project' umbrella keeping track of plans and layouts, but I'm not sure about how it actually works today. A Layout always knows what is linked to it, but does a plan know where it has been sent? I know it asks it I want update the layout when I close a plan, but I believe that only happens if a layout is open as well so it could be functionality on the layout side.

Either way, my workflow is based around layout and the 'Referenced files' command has so far been helpful.

To answer your question about the Plan knowing what Layout - it doesn't.  this is because any Plan could be sent to multiple Layouts.  You can have only one Layout open at a time (at least in a single session of Chief) and that Layout File knows what Plan each Layout Box came from.  OTOH, there is nothing in the Plan File to indicate a connection to any Layout other than the one that's currently open.

I've been told that all the Plan Files linked to a Layout are automatically opened when the Layout is opened - but they don't actually show in the Project Browser.  I think they should.  Currently, you have to specifically open the Plan Files in order for them to be displayed in the Project Browser.

Yes, I assumed it worked that way. However, I occasionally work with more than two plans in the same layout so not sure if I would like them all to show up in the project browser, but it would admittedly give a better overview. Well worth considering.

Of course, the best solution would be if Chief somehow allowed a way to handle as-is and multiple design options in the same plan, so we wouldn't have to link more than one plan in general. At that point the plan and layout files could be merged to a single file format like Revit's.

I think one reason that people sometimes don't get the "automatic update" of the Layout is that the Layout was not open when the Plan was modified.  In Theory, opening the Layout File should open the Plan Files and update.  I'm not convince that will work - but when I open the Layout and the associated Plans then any changes made in the Plan get updated.  There are of course the "Elevations that won't get updated" when a Plan is modified which has to do with how the Cameras are linked only to their View Windows and not to the Layout directly.

IAE, opening the Layout and the Plans before making any changes to the Plan is a much more reliable way to get the Layout to update.

I've not delved into the PB and it use in my WF yet but plan to soon. I do use a boat load of ANNOSETS ( Thank you DSH) and love the flexibility they, and their specific Layer and Ref sets, other. I like to send the plan view to Layout with the REF set on and have the flexibility later to turn it off if I choose to do so but I cannot. Is this an issue, bug, lack of functionality or operator error (I'm suspect the latter) but thought I would ask.

Thanks GUYS!

I may have missed the concept behind this process and thus am not taking full advantage of the feature.

The REF layer can me displayed by opening the object in layout and selecting "Plan View" option. Nice feature but I would just a well control it from the plan like some many other items. Logic here? 

post-5149-0-80645000-1432067321_thumb.jpg