Revit Or Ca

dshall

So in another thread someone asked,  "I wonder what the big beefs  REVIT users have ?"

So me,  being a bit inquisitive,  and having a son who has been using REVIT for the past 5+ years,  decided to ask him,  

"Errrr  Dave,  what are your 3 big beefs with REVIT?"

Without hesitation he rattled off 3 beefs.....

1.   Terrains in CA are more user friendly

2.   Rooms in CA are predefined with moldings,  floor structures,  ceiling finishes,  heights etc.,  whereas in REVIT it takes more work

3.    Symbols.....  we have more symbols in CA than we know what to do with meanwhile he has to create....  "families".......  what the heck is a family?

So I ask Dave,  "Dave,  how do you know CA's terrains are more user friendly.....  and why do you recognize the advantage of CA's system of predefined room attributes.....  and how do you know that we have this great symbol library?"

His reply?

"Why Dad,  I watch your videos,  I learn from your videos,  I see how easy you guys have it and so I try to duplicate in REVIT what you guys already have"

(A shameless plug for CA)

One more shameless plug for CA.......  ( and believe me,  I am a member of the choir but I have no problems getting on their case),

I ask Dave how is the REVIT Forum......  he told me that back in 2012 it seemed to him the user forum dwindled,  however he has found a few REVIT users who provide videos that have been of value to him,  one REVIT video producer being "THE REVIT KID".  Bottom line,  we are fortunate to have a user base who is more than willing to give up some of their time to help out fellow CA users.   

The point of this post.......  yeah,  CA can definitely be improved,  but it may be the best option FOR WHAT I DO.  

So if you want to CA improve,  keep bashing them,  but at the same time realize that what we have ain't half bad,  and the program for all of it's shortcomings......  is pretty darn good.

BTW......  I think the Padres might be pretty good this year.....  I think we have 6 all stars on the roster...... World Series,,,,  here we come!!!

• Like 1

I think for residential work CA is hands down better than Revit.  However, the other main stream apps provide a direct level of control that CA doesn't provide much of.  Sure, if you setup the automation just right CA is lightening fast.  If you end up trying to constantly sort things out by inputting data fields for CA to interpolate your need, getting one hang-up that process makes you lose all the speed and benefit gained.

Here is an example of terrain inside Vectorworks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhPGRMPafuA

......Here is an example of terrain inside Vectorworks:

I watched the vid,  Vector Works used POINTS vs. LINES to set elevations.  That is what #1  Son complained about with Revit.   He liked we could use lines in lieu of points.  Frankly I am surprised  REVIT does not offer the lines...  they probably do.

I did like they plan symbols for the trees in VW.  It seemed like they came with some good color,  semi transparent fill and a shadow.  Looked good for presentations.

Until they become the Chino Padres and the Los Angeles Chargers.

Yeah,  I saw a press conference just the other day with The City,  the Mayor and The Charger rep..  I think the  City of San Diego is going out of their way to run the Chargers out of town.  I don't get it. Why wouldn't they do just about anything to keep the team in town?

LA has not had a team for 20 years.  That is unbelievable,  yet our fearless leaders are doing their best to chase our team out of SD.  Perry,  I bet you guys have a team in a year or two at our expense.

I did like they plan symbols for the trees in VW.  It seemed like they came with some good color,  semi transparent fill and a shadow.  Looked good for presentations.

Not to mention that lines are antialiased, which makes everything look crisp, clear and professional.

"Not to mention that lines are antialiased, which makes everything look crisp, clear and professional."

I have never been bothered by this.  Mostly because I never do screen shots of plan views so I don't care what the screen looks like.  I either print them or send them to pdfs where the antialiasing is not needed as long as your print resolution is good.

I think Chief's terrain tools are probably pretty good but I much much prefer Vector Work's ability to create stunning presentations with trees symbols that look - er stunning. For my business presentations are everything and I work very hard with Chief's OOB tools to achieve nice looking results. Would be nice to have more VW type tools.

...... but I much much prefer Vector Work's ability to create stunning presentations with trees symbols that look - er stunning. .......

Larry,  are you referring to plan presentations or 3d presentations?

Hey Larry,  when are we going to meet for lunch?  ....  Let's do it sometime....  if you are in RB,  let me know and lunch or after work drinks are on me.

I do a ton of different presentations and some landscape design as well and the plan presentations are not so good. 3D stuff is very good for my uses and clients are always wowed. For example just love those trees that VW can do.

Making me hungry..Yeah we should meet for lunch and I play really bad golf too. Been to Twin Oaks quite a few times. Stupid busy right now and will work through the weekend to try and catch up but let's make some time.

I watched the vid,  Vector Works used POINTS vs. LINES to set elevations.  That is what #1  Son complained about with Revit.   He liked we could use lines in lieu of points.  Frankly I am surprised  REVIT does not offer the lines...  they probably do.

I think thats done this way since the points are really how topos are made from the surveyor (as I know you know)....or this is how you would go get data on the topo if you shot point in yourself.  The fact CA doesn't have points (its fine to have both) is the disconnect between how its really done vs CA automation.  I suppose you could do both.

I think if you scan in a topo drawing the points are easier as well (IMO).

What was really neat about the VW video,  IS THE POINTS SHOWED THE ELEVATION........  isn't that a no brainer,  if I put in a line or a point to define the elevation,  don't you think I want to know what the defined elevation is at a quick glance?  Of course.....  hey CA,  get on this will you,  thank you,  thank you very much. 

Heading out the door but will post later. Hope I do not get my head chopped off.

Transitioning to Revit.

Used Chief since '97.

Biggest upfront differences: Revit costs $6,000 and is a harder to learn.

Jeff

Whatever works best for you Jeff. I would be hard pressed to spend $6000 on any software package and very very hesitant no matter the perceived upgrade.

I don't think we can evaluate Revit based on your son's experience or lack there of - I know for a fact Revit is an amazing and powerful program - The problem with Revit and with all Autodesk products is that they are not suited for residential design - Specially the Revit "families" (Native objects, content, blocks, etc) are not geared towards our industry. The hardest thing for anyone switching to Revit is creating the necessary content to be productive (make money fast enough, Revit is very expensive and the subscription is 3 or 4x what Chief is) which in some cases can take you 1 to 3 months, but once you get it setup it works very well!
CG Visions has a "residential" package for Revit: http://www.cgvisions.com/bim-toolkits.aspx
The great thing about Chief is that you can hit the ground running from DAY ONE - pretty awesome.......I will have to be patient with CA, I know it will get better with time

What was really neat about the VW video,  IS THE POINTS SHOWED THE ELEVATION........  isn't that a no brainer,  if I put in a line or a point to define the elevation,  don't you think I want to know what the defined elevation is at a quick glance?  Of course.....  hey CA,  get on this will you,  thank you,  thank you very much. 

This is one is on my wishlist for terrain with ability to show contours in vector or rendered views.

One thing I do like about Revit terrains is the phasing so you can duplicate the existing topography, assign one to existing and lock it then manipulate the second for proposed levels. Handy for elevation views also to demonstrate the amount of cut/fill