Revit Or Ca

dshall

Thanks mthd97 - in fact, I did submit my application with background/references....so I guess we'll see.

I realize i've been an out-spoken critic of CA in certain areas, but I also acknowledge is superiority in many ways.  Regardless of who they pick, it will be great to have users talking directly with the programers and directors etc in that capacity.

• 4 weeks later...

One could interpret Wendy's fewer visits here as Chief's user base 'falling off' but I believe she is actually running a thriving Design business based on Chief architect. I think she has 12 seats from a recent post. So if there's an implication that some older (not older that way Wendy) users are not posting here much any more it's far from accurate to say that therefore Chief's user base is 'falling off'.

What if it were just the opposite? The fewer posters here the more busy that user is and the more successful Chief is actually becoming? Heck maybe some day I'll be so busy and have so little leisure time I won't be able to post here at all, because I just bought 4 more seats (hypothetical) for my thriving Chief design business.

And I too would like to thank all the users who help on this forum. It's one of the main reasons I check the forums often. First I check to see what I can learn, second I check to see if I can help anyone myself. It's rare that I can but it feels good to help after receiving so much.

Yep - what he said.  One arm paper hangers have more spare time than I!

But also, I think there's a trajectory.  You start off as a newbie coming here for help.  Then you get to where you can answer some questions yourself and that actually feels pretty good.  Well balanced humanoids enjoy being helpful.  Then at some point the next group who were less skilled have actually paid attention and learned from all those helpful answers - and start being able to answer questions themselves.  They even get there before you do.  It's kinda cool to see people who were utterly helpless once become experts.  So they become the new experts and you make room.  The whole post-count competition thing is, imnsho, a bit silly. 

And sometimes you even grow to where you have staff and you not only always have more demands on your time, but you're not necessarily doing every part of the software every day.  So some of those newbie questions - where you could answer without even thinking once, you'd have to stop and see where that setting is!  In my office it's called "I don't know ask Holly" (or Allison or Rachel or Cody or Heather or Allen... and soon people named Fred and Savy will know faster than I also on questions to do with cad or CD's!)

So I think its kind of the natural progression of things that people come and go.  When it feels right and you can be truly helpful - then do it.  If it's a distraction from earning the money to pay your staff, let somebody else take a turn.  My ADD had a chat with me and told me my Chief addiction was an "issue"!

Hi Wendy, its nice to see your name on the panel, congratulations.

Have you got time to express your opion on the "Story Pole" post that Doug made in suggestions?

I am a bit OCD about editing room module's in 3d with CA, how do you go about it?

Does anyone know how they edit 3d rooms in Revit?

• 4 years later...

I know, right.  Super useful.     Revit or Archicad has Demo Tools, and phasing, which is also really useful.   Chief relies on making two separate files, unless you have a handle on defining separate wall types and layers for demo versus new  versus existing.    It's pretty cumbersome by comparison since it relies on the user to customize in this functionality.  My question is why this can't be "baked in" to the program considering how integral it is to many of the projects people use it for.    I think this is my biggest gripe among the other things that the typical coordination that BIM programs provide.   The gripes aside however, I enjoy working in CA, with the interface, and the quick 3D, rooms with molding, and defaults for room types, etc.  It works well on small typical Residential projects, like kitchen and bath remodels.    I like the large library  baked in.