Automatic Foundation

builtright3

• 1 month later...

Gee, I am a happy camper right now

Have 7 loaded - using it to design a strucutre and had made a mistake on adjusting the foundation wall. Since I had designed multiple rooms in the basement (foundation) and had turned off AutoFoundation to create a Safe Room under the front porch, I foolishly realized my error on the foundation and turned on AutoFoundation to re-create the walls that I had messed up.

Like majic - I now have a nice pristine foundation, no rooms, no Safe Room, nothing. AND I had saved after the AutoFoundation reconstruct as I was discussing with the client so now I have lost several hours of work.

Very nice Chief. Your program is a real design aid.

Lesson - DON'T EVER USE AUTOFOUNDATION if you do anything in or around the foundation... Use it only once and don't make any errors after that or you will pay a terrible price. And oh - there is NO WAY to tell it how to create things like Safe Rooms (a small need in areas that have tornados) so your on your your own after the one shot. Save me 10 minutes to cost me hours later...

Great feature there - your program team wins over your customers... If I ran my business that way I would not be here.

Yes - I do not understand how Chief works because I do not work that way. I would not delete everything in the foundation (basement) but then I am sensitive to things more than your team is.

BTW - I was looking around to see how to create a Safe Room in the forums and unless someone calls them by some other name (a concrete porch or ???), I guess such a thing is a rarity to Chief users. My builders would not understand asking for an enclosed concrete room.

Ralph

Yes, basement level 1, foundation level 0. Just draw the basement at level 1 and the ground floor is level 2 ,2nd floor is level 3. You can put anything on any level you want. Some people don't like to work this way, but I feel it works out better if you need a separate foundation plan.

That I know, Joe, But Perry said he is making the basement level 1, not level 0. The basement is where the foundation (level) is. No?

NO!

The Foundation is Level 0.  The Basement - if there is one should be on Level 1.  It's inevitably going to have a Floor Slab, Interior Walls, Exterior Walls (which may even be partially above adjacent grade as in a Walk-Out). 

I like to think of it this way:

If it's usable space of any kind - it goes on Level 1 or above.

If it's structural support in contact with the ground - it's the Foundation and Chief builds it on Level 0.

Just because the Basement Walls are Concrete or Masonry doesn't mean they are the Foundation.

"The Foundation is Level 0.  The Basement - if there is one should be on Level 1".

That is the problem Joe and Perry. I am on the East Coast (New England), and so the basement is generally the below grade, "usable" living space encompassed or defined by a full (structural) foundation of concrete (although it can be of other materials, as well). We generally don't talk about a basement as being "above the foundation" (sounds rather odd!), except, I suppose, in the case of frost foundation walls being under the walk-out portion of a "basement". That is what through me for a loop.

I was also interested to learn how you could get Chief to change the way it designates the various levels, and that question was answered.

Mickey,

I understand the terminology and how the builder thinks of the Foundation/Basement relationship.

That's just not the terminology that works with Chief.  In order to get the best results with Chief and not run into the problem that Elder_Designer had you just need to follow the practice of doing all "Basement" development on Level 1.  Chief doesn't know it's a "Basement".  Maybe sometime in the future we will have an option to add a "Basement Level" similar to how we have an "Attic Level" - but for now we have to live with the fact that there isn't one.

"The Foundation is Level 0.  The Basement - if there is one should be on Level 1".

That is the problem Joe and Perry. I am on the East Coast (New England), and so the basement is generally the below grade, "usable" living space encompassed or defined by a full (structural) foundation of concrete (although it can be of other materials, as well). We generally don't talk about a basement as being "above the foundation" (sounds rather odd!), except, I suppose, in the case of frost foundation walls being under the walk-out portion of a "basement". That is what through me for a loop.

I was also interested to learn how you could get Chief to change the way it designates the various levels, and that question was answered.

Assuming you do not use auto foundations,  and I do not.....  there is nothing that says foundation need to be on level zero. 

I did a vid on this so....  listen to this.....  if you are  not doing auto foundations,  (and maybe if you are),  there is nothing magic  (in my mind) with foundations being on level zero.  Try putting the foundation on  level 15,  or 16 or 17.  Who cares,  it is not important.

What I am saying is,  try to learn what is truly important.  

What Joe and Perry are saying,  and I agree with them,  have the basements on the first floor and if needed,  you can always have a level below on level zero to build a mono slab.

You must learn to "own" CA and make it do what you want it to do.  I say that you can have your lowest floor on level 17 and then built a foundation on level 16,  who cares?  It gives you the flexibility to quickly and easily add additional levels.

It is akin to my advocation of having more levels than I have floors.  If I am building a 3 story house,  so what if I have 13 different levels to my model.  I can use or not use all 13 levels.

Learn to "own" CA and make it work for you.

It all comes to terminology, Foundation is LEVEL 0, basement then LEVEL 1, first floor LEVEL 2.

CA uses levels which do not necesarily also mean floor.

Maybe to clear up confusion CA should call level 0 "foundation" and not have a level 0 ??

They should also probably have a level "basement" that doesn't necessarily need to be used. 

Gee, I am a happy camper right now

Have 7 loaded - using it to design a strucutre and had made a mistake on adjusting the foundation wall. Since I had designed multiple rooms in the basement (foundation) and had turned off AutoFoundation to create a Safe Room under the front porch, I foolishly realized my error on the foundation and turned on AutoFoundation to re-create the walls that I had messed up.

Like majic - I now have a nice pristine foundation, no rooms, no Safe Room, nothing. AND I had saved after the AutoFoundation reconstruct as I was discussing with the client so now I have lost several hours of work.

Very nice Chief. Your program is a real design aid.

Lesson - DON'T EVER USE AUTOFOUNDATION if you do anything in or around the foundation... Use it only once and don't make any errors after that or you will pay a terrible price. And oh - there is NO WAY to tell it how to create things like Safe Rooms (a small need in areas that have tornados) so your on your your own after the one shot. Save me 10 minutes to cost me hours later...

Great feature there - your program team wins over your customers... If I ran my business that way I would not be here.

Yes - I do not understand how Chief works because I do not work that way. I would not delete everything in the foundation (basement) but then I am sensitive to things more than your team is.

BTW - I was looking around to see how to create a Safe Room in the forums and unless someone calls them by some other name (a concrete porch or ???), I guess such a thing is a rarity to Chief users. My builders would not understand asking for an enclosed concrete room.

Ralph

Ralph,

I think if that 'safe room' had been defined as a room with a floor height that corresponded to the height you wanted for the room, auto build foundation would have recreated the foundation around that room.

And PLEASE do no think I'm apologizing for Chief's many land mines and pitfalls. I've been caught out so so many times it's crazy but another approach to your dilemma might be to post what you want to accomplish and get some help here.

Safe rooms are underground correct? It seems like an underground 'room' could be created quite easily but I haven't really tried.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.screencast.com/t/2NHcdWo96AB

I did a vid on this so....  listen to this.....  if you are  not doing auto foundations,  (and maybe if you are),  there is nothing magic  (in my mind) with foundations being on level zero.  Try putting the foundation on  level 15,  or 16 or 17.  Who cares,  it is not important.

Ah this might help with the problem I have with "jumpy" foundation walls. More control means a better model. Curse that automation! Is there a way to change the units in the DBX to be feet and inches instead of inches? If so, I will place my next house up in the air at 100'-0" elevation. Thanks Scott for the insight.