Showing Fascia

chief58

A question I always wondered about but never asked, when do my framing plan I have a 5 1/2" fascia but when I build framing and do a framing view it does not show the fascia, what am I doing wrong or what am I not selecting in the layer display options

A question I always wondered about but never asked, when do my framing plan I have a 5 1/2" fascia but when I build framing and do a framing view it does not show the fascia, what am I doing wrong or what am I not selecting in the layer display options

Good question,  if you do a framing overview,  I think you will see the SUBFASCIA,  but I do not think it shows the FASCIA,  the fascia shows if roof planes are on.

So do  a framing overview,  you will not see fascia,  now turn on the ROOF PLANE layer,  and you will now see fascia.

Chief,  Chief,  Chief........  in the first pic there is no fascia,  you might see the sub fascia,  but you do not see the fascia.

In the second pic you are seeing WHITE FASCIA.  The reason the rafters and the fascia are not the same material is because YOU HAVE A SOFFIT.  If you have a soffit,  the rafters take on the material of the framing.  If you do not have a soffit,  then the rafters take on the material of the fascia.

Think about it....  if you have no soffit,  don't you want the fascia and the EXPOSED RAFTER TAILS to match?

Try this,  eliminate the soffit on one of your roof planes,  I bet you will find that the rafters for that  particular roof plane uses the FASCIA MATERIAL.

Scott, Scott, Scott,

Why should the Fascia, Rafters & Soffit materials be intertwined?  Why can't they all be separate materials?  This is the same sort of thinking that caused us to have the same material for Toe Kicks and the Base Cabinet.  Finally X7 gives us a separate material for the Toe Kick.

Stairs, Doors & Windows have similar problems with materials not being separated. 

Can you imagine your wife putting up with being forced to wear the same color lipstick as the color of her purse?  :rolleyes:

Maybe this whole material coordination bit is just an Idaho thing ;)

• Upvote 1

Joe,  Joe,  Joe,  mi Amigo,  The soffit can have it's own material.  The fascia can have it's own material.  The  rafter material can be defined by you the user.  

The only  time you lose control over specifying each material differently is when you DO NOT have a soffit.... and what happens then is the rafters match the fascia material which is how it works with 99% of the houses out there.

Should I be able to give the fascia a different material than the rafters if I have no  soffit?  Yes,  but it has not been an issue yet.

Scott, Scott, Scott when I was building I always put my wood fascia on before I put my soffit or fascia color on the house so that is the way I want to show my framing in my FRAMING PLAN with a wood fascia and rafters before I do the finish, I show the studs before I put the sheathing, house wrap and siding on, so why can't I do that with my framing plan, please chief give me the option to show my fascia in my framing plan.

Perry in the first pic I have framing rafters turned on but don't have the fascia could you post what you have.

and I agree with Joe I want to be able to inter mingle  ;)

Scott,

My point really is just that Chief should have separate materials for everything.

Stair Stringers shouldn't have to be the same as Risers.or the same as the Skirtboard.

In my house the Stair Stringers are actually concealed within a drywall soffit but they are just unfinished wood framing,  Th Risers are Travertine Tile and the Base Skirt is White and the Treads are Dark Brown.

Scott, Scott, Scott when I was building I always put my wood fascia on before I put my soffit or fascia color on the house so that is the way I want to show my framing in my FRAMING PLAN with a wood fascia and rafters before I do the finish, I show the studs before I put the sheathing, house wrap and siding on, so why can't I do that with my framing plan, please chief give me the option to show my fascia in my framing plan.

Perry in the first pic I have framing rafters turned on but don't have the fascia could you post what you have.

and I agree with Joe I want to be able to inter mingle  ;)

her it is . Look at the bottom left about what is highlighted

post-113-0-20366800-1424222990_thumb.png

Perry I see what you are talking about on the floor plan if you look at my pictures again they are in an elevation view that is where I want to see the fascia on my framing elevation view which it doesn't show in the first picture and when I did what Scott suggested I got the finished fascia with a white material on it not a framing fascia before the finish is put on, my comments were for elevation views to send to a layout which I give a framing view with all of my plans

Mike thanks I drew a small one like you and the fascia does show up, I rebuilt framing on the plan I was working on and no fascia showing when all framing is selected in floor plan or elevation I have rebuilt and all not sure why it is not showing in the plan I am working on

EDIT: Ray, my direction below in green, not so good :wacko: . After taking a second look this morning, the tool to easily solve your problem is the "Edit All Roof Planes"!

Open it, go to the Framing tab, check the "Eave Sub Fascia", then check "Build Roof Framing" and that's it!

It doesn't "appear" to change anything else in the model but that!

(Please disregard below)

I got it, but with no magical setting (as far as I can tell).

As it turned out, I needed to rebuild "roof planes" and "roof framing" to get the sub fascia to appear, but at the cost of manually re-aligning some (not all) of the roof planes and deleting others that popped up.

I kept the sub fascia at the norm (1 1/2" x 5 1/2"), and set the fascia at 1/4" thickness just to get some white on it (I'm assuming you are wrapping it)

One thing to note, as it sets now, you CAN go back into the roof dbx and further adjust the sub fascia and fascia by just "rebuilding roof planes" (don't initiate "rebuild roof framing!")

(see attached for settings)

(Doing this, in your model, you do get two additional roof planes that pop up at the rear of the house, but can be deleted with no harm.)

OR

You can pick a roof plane and change the fascia spec and you do not need to check "rebuild roof framing" just click "OK" (doing it this way does not introduce undesirable roof planes)

You can not, however, change the spec on the "sub fascia" on a roof-plane by roof-plane bases (it can be done, however, in a 3-D view by singling them out)

Well, that's what I know at this point...good luck!

post-82-0-56345700-1424307712_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-45988900-1424307739_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-72844900-1424307764_thumb.jpg

SZYMASZEK 2.17.15 _Mod.plan

post-82-0-04197000-1424309496_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Ray, my direction below in green, not so good :wacko: . After taking a second look this morning, the tool to easily solve your problem is the "Edit All Roof Planes"!

Open it, go to the Framing tab, check the "Eave Sub Fascia", then check "Build Roof Framing" and that's it!

It doesn't "appear" to change anything else in the model but that!

Mike just got back from plowing thanks for taking the time to look at it I will see if I can get it to work know that I am back