Roof Over Front Porch Issues

bobditch

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

I'm just starting to become comfortable with manual roofs, but a roof over a front entry porch has me stymied.

I'm using a Slab & footing for the front porch and added "attic" walls for the gable; however, I have several issues:

1. I can't show a roof return, which is selected in the dialogue box
  2. the frieze boarded does not show on the portion over the room but does over the porch
  3. no ceiling in the porch

Initially I tried creating a deck but that posed other issues.

Can someone please point me in the correct direction for creating a covered entry.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

post-3450-0-46608400-1423939872_thumb.jpg

post-3450-0-20932300-1423939915_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Bob,

There is no ceiling because you haven't drawn one and you don't have a room defined for an auto ceiling - a slab and footing doesn't create a room..

The roof return won't build because you don't have a gable wall defined at the front of the porch.

Not sure about the frieze board at this stage.

I reckon it would be much easier to build an auto roof on a house like that.

Anyway...

Build the porch from invisible walls.

Define the front wall as a full gable wall and give it a roof return - that will fix the ceiling and roof return problems.

Chief Architect as mentioned before so many times (and I'm still practicing with this concept) is a room based program. When you create a room there are so many other options available like floors, moldings, roofs, ceilings,  roof returns, etc., etc.

When you go outside of this method, and create slabs from P-solids, for example, it creates more work (more manual drafting), not to mention undesirable issues, just to get to the final look/design.

So doing as Glenn first wrote, I was able to include some of these features along with what I wrote above to correct the frieze board.

Hope its in alignment to your final look/design.

BTW, I did not have available the same stone you used...an easy fix.

post-82-0-26425900-1424016290_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-67680100-1424016306_thumb.jpg