X7 Performance-Crashes?

MarkMc

Agree - if X6 works fine & X7 shows a lag then it is most likely something related to X7. The challenge is now to isolate it down asap so a fix can be implemented. I too have experienced some significant lags, the most noticeable occurs randomly when I switch from an active Raytrace tab to any other tab. The tab bar will replicated it's self (display a duplicate set of tabs underneath) and take maybe 5-10 secs before the active tab closes and the other tab opens with the tab bar displayed normal.

Not a programmer expert by any means but I'm wondering if the new capability to assign cores to Raytrace and how that is actually managed whether it is interfering with how process interrupts are being dealt with. Had something similar before where my system was randomly very slow. Used some process monitoring programs and found that for some reason the windows search (file indexing) thing was running 80 - 100% all the time. Had to stop the process then restart it to get it to behave as normal, does it's thing and then suspends. It was however interesting to see that even if it would not suspend that as long as the % processor level was less than about 70% the lag was not noticeable, obviously there was still sufficient headroom to handle a request.

I have a quad core processor of which I assign three cores to the Raytrace. Could it be that the left over headroom (1 core) is just not enough to handle tab switching. In the past with core management being handled by windows then if needed windows could suspend the entire Raytrace process and dedicate everything to the tab switching request and then once finished it would resume the Raytrace.

Just my thoughts,

Graham

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a bit of testing yesterday late afternoon related to processor core assignment in Chief. Found the results to be interesting, not what I was expecting. Here's the Post that describes my findings.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4962-processor-core-usage-in-chief/

I know some forum members really like this stuff. Wonder if they see similar results in their system. Just need to monitor core cpu usage through the task manager while running a Raytrace.

Graham