Symbols

behrsdgh1

Hi

I can create symbols and save them in user library. I like to know if there is any way to explode a symbol after it is saved in library in-order to modify it and save it again. For example  i created a special cabinet  with two shelves and save it as symbol. If i want to make the cabinet with three shelves  i need to create a new unit.i like to avoid this by exploding the prior cabinet with two shelves and add third shelve in the plan view

thanks.

The short answer is "not easily".  You can't really explode a symbol but there are a number of things you could do to make a new symbol using the original one.  I would consider these more advanced techniques though.

The real question though, is why would you need to use a symbol to make a cabinet with 2 or 3 shelves?  This can be done very easily with the normal cabinet tools.  No need to convert it to a symbol at all.  You can save cabinets directly into the library without converting them into symbols which will allow you to reuse it.  If you need to change it, you can just place it into a new plan and make changes (without having to explode anything).

I gave the cabinet example as simple demonstration. I want to be able to modify the symbols without creating new ones.please let me know what are the advance method are. I am trying to create units for closet system. The closet systems do not have back, but the cabinet tool  comes with back. i can create a  double hanging unit with modifying the base unit, but in-order two delete the back and installing hanging rod i can not modify the cabinets so i need to create symbols by building the unit from scratch.

Hi

I have already  created individual plan file for each symbol category , but every time to go trough the procedure is very  time consuming and my user library becomes  become very large and cumbersome to navigate through.

Make Folders & Sub-Folders in your User Library.  Then put things in those Folders for navigation purposes.