Looking for Suggestions on the Best Printer for Printing to Ledger - Epson or Brother

Roxi0112

I’m looking for your experience and suggestions for the Best Printer. Any feedback would be appreciated. I’ve heard Epson Supertanks are amazing and at the moment my supplier has Brother Inkvestment in stock. should I wait for the Epson or go for the Brother? 

When I went out on my own got an Epson a Work For e model. Was ok but the ink would time out requiring replacing. Got a Brother multi function on sale, very happy with it. I get the XXL cartridges. Still fine 11 yrs later.

13 hours ago, Roxi0112 said:

I’m looking for your experience and suggestions for the Best Printer. Any feedback would be appreciated. I’ve heard Epson Supertanks are amazing and at the moment my supplier has Brother Inkvestment in stock. should I wait for the Epson or go for the Brother? 

I just threw out an Epson eco tank.  Lots of ink but crap output. 

I ordered a Brother MFCJ6955DW.  I should get it this week.  

thank you both for your feedback. the printer that I’m getting rid of is a brother from 2003 and I’ve been very happy with it. All this hype about the ECO tank had me torn so this helps me solidify my decision. thanks very much and have yourselves a great day! 

12 hours ago, MarkMc said:

When I went out on my own got an Epson a Work For e model. Was ok but the ink would time out requiring replacing. Got a Brother multi function on sale, very happy with it. I get the XXL cartridges. Still fine 11 yrs later.

thank you both for your feedback. the printer that I’m getting rid of is a brother from 2003 and I’ve been very happy with it. All this hype about the ECO tank had me torn so this helps me solidify my decision. thanks very much and have yourselves a great day! 

I bought a used XEROX 7800 DN phaser color printer for 11x17.

ink is pricey, but I dont think I will ever need it, as the ink goes for 1000s of prints

best $200 printer investment i ever made.

it sits in my basement hooked to my network as it is not small

• Like 1

I have an all-in-one Epson WorkForce WF-7710 and have been pretty happy with it.  The printer I had before this was also a WorkForce, but an older model.

The thing about this Epson model is it can print one paper size larger than 11x17 ledger, i.e. 13x19 "Super B."  The benefit is it allows me to print my usual 24"x36" sheet size at true 50% scale if needed.  So, my usual 1/4" architectural plans at 1/8" = 1'-0" scale.  Ledger size does not work for this.

The printer has been reliable.  It accepts 3rd party ink, although you'll get a "are you sure you want to do this" warning from the software...

It can scan up to 11x17 ledger size.  I use the scanner a fair bit.

I feel the Epson (PC) software is fairly outdated and somewhat clunky, but it's functional.

I just looked at the Epson website and they have them on sale at discount.  You might take a look.  I think I bought mine as a refurbished item from Epson if I recall.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is the all-in-one I bought and recommend. This is my 3rd or fourth generation of this line. They have been very good. Also, I used cheap remanufactured ink in all of them and have had no problems.

I got 5% off. I think by giving Brother my email. Also, free shipping. Best deal I found.

297974476_BrotherPrinter2023.thumb.png.1e613b4f3715415a089c4623cbbfe1e3.png
Regards,
Charles

• Like 1

I ordered my brother today after the first few comments. I thought at such a reasonable price I really can’t lose. 

Also, they have an offer right now that extends warranty for an extra 6 months.

I ordered the ink cartridges from them and it’s my understanding that if I recycle and send them back I’ll get 15% off my next order. 

I have both, Epson and Brother.  I recommend the Brother.  Far easier to use, better control panel, excellent print quality.

The Epson does seem to have an advantage when printing photos, but I rarely do that.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:37 PM, Roxi0112 said:

I ordered my brother today after the first few comments. I thought at such a reasonable price I really can’t lose. 

Also, they have an offer right now that extends warranty for an extra 6 months.

I ordered the ink cartridges from them and it’s my understanding that if I recycle and send them back I’ll get 15% off my next order. 

I got mine from Office Depot as a refurbished printer.  It was about 1/3rd the price of a new one, and I have never had a problem with it.
For the ink, I get refilled cartridges through Amazon and have never had any problem with those either.

I think you will be very pleased with your decision.

I have had an Epson ET- 16500 for many years. I rarely have to buy ink for the super tank, and it's inexpensive. I have my computer run a batch file once a week to do a color print to keep the heads from clogging. I do the same with my wide-format printer.

The Epson may be more expensive upfront, but you don't have to by the expensive cartridges.

The person that said it has crap output likely doesn't keep it clean by having the system run a color print every week.

Anyway, I see you bought the Brother. That should do fine as well. I would still have my computer run a batch file once a week to do a color print to keep the heads from clogging.

Happy printing

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So you're on the hunt for a top-notch printer for those big ledger-sized prints, and you're stuck between Epson and Brother, huh? Totally get it – choosing the right printer is like picking the right tool for the job. Now, if you're looking for some insights before you make the call, you might want to check out sticker mule customer service by link. It's always good to know how others have experienced different brands