Making a mess with everything

marlem2000

Hi, everybody:)

This question is not exactly related to technical issues about Chef Architect but I don’t know what to do.:unsure: Let’s see… how can I explain this?

I’m really bad designing my own furniture so I usually download stuff from pages like 3D Warehouse. I save everything in the User Catalog. I try to keep everything in order and in different folders but, as you can guess, working with so many things is a mess.:wacko:

I try to clean these folders regularly removing furniture I don’t use anymore but my hard disk is a disaster. I’ve been updating the software and now I don’t know where all the libraries are (including the stuff I downloaded). I’m scared of deleting the wrong "Chief Architect Premier X Data" folder.

Then, another strange thing that happens while working with downloaded symbols is that, after adding them to my catalog, their textures are lost. Doesn’t Chief Architect keep them?

I don’t know if I’m missing anything… How can I “clean” the software? Many thanks!:)

1.JPG

1st going forward when importing symbols from 3D warehouse most of the textures that are used have an equivalent in Chief. When importing I always change just about all of them to Chief textures.

2- Open an explorer window for your x15 Data\textures\my textures. Open another explorer window for X12 data\textures\my textures. Sort them both by name and compare. If they look like some are missing from X15 then in the X12 folder select all, right click and while holding the right button down drag them over to the X15 window and select "copy here". A DBX should pop up asking what to do with files with the same name, select "skip these files".

When done compare the two. If all is well move on to the next old data folder.

IF something looks wrong hit ctrl + z to undo. It will only undo the last action.

Next compare the Material Data folders. If different do the same procedure with them.

Do the same for each old version. Now all of your imported textures ought to be there.

Note  When installing a new version let it migrate the library should prevent this in the future.

Finally DO NOT delete the old Data files. I you are trying to save space and no longer need the old version then uninstall them. You can use Windows to  do that or you can use something like RevoUninstaller which has a free and paid versions. (I use the latter but there are some advanced features that you might not know how to safely use so stick with the freebie.

21 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

How can I “clean” the software? Many thanks!

Well , these days extra Storage space is fairly Cheap,  if a Clean up is due to needing more space on C:\  , ie you could add an extra 2TB or 4TB internal Drive for a D:\ or add an external 4TB or perhaps 8TB USB3 Hard Drive, so you can Archive Chief Data Folders etc ( and uninstall the old versions of the Program. You only need X15 now)

This would also be a good location for your Chief Libraries Downloads, which would normally be downloaded, on Win 10 to the Default Windows Download Folder, most Browsers are set to use this Folder Automatically, if you didn't specify a specific Folder for Chief Library Downloads?

Some Models from 3D Warehouse may not come with Textures , this is usually a sign that they were batch converted by a Corporation to say time and money,

and Users are expected to open them in SU and apply there own "Finishes".

Make sure this Preference is set for your downloaded Models and Material's you make Textures, to be saved to the Chief Textures Folder.

image.thumb.png.ab6a4e26f6c038fc4b3fa20dcc3a8b8e.png

Mark's advice to copy / paste  all files in the older versions Textures Folder to the latest Version is good advice especially if you didn't migrate the Textures when you installed the latest version ( currently X15 ) as it is the 2nd place Chief looks for Textures  ( the 1st being the Folder the Plan is in ).

Mick.

20 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Note  When installing a new version let it migrate the library should prevent this in the future.

I always migrate the texture when I upload the software but, honestly, I don’t know if this option is working.:unsure:

41 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Make sure this Preference is set for your downloaded Models and Material's you make Textures, to be saved to the Chief Textures Folder.

image.thumb.png.ab6a4e26f6c038fc4b3fa20dcc3a8b8e.png

This is new for me! If I mark this option, will I need to do anything else in the Data folders?:D

In my laptop (I use two computers) it seems all files are the same way in the X14 Data folder and in the X15 one. Is it possible to copy the textures and materials from X14 to X15 and, finally, remove the Chief Architect Premier X14 Data folder?

Another strange thing is, while using the program, I deleted some materials from the User Catalog to keep everything cleaner but I’m seeing they are still in the Data folder.:wacko: Do I have to remove manually these files from the Data folder?

material.JPG

textures.JPG

2 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

This is new for me! If I mark this option, will I need to do anything else in the Data folders?:D

Yes. it won't transfer the Textures from the old folders for you  (follow Mark's advice for that) , it will only add New Textures from the point you enable the Preference.

5 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Another strange thing is, while using the program, I deleted some materials from the User Catalog to keep everything cleaner but I’m seeing they are still in the Data folder.:wacko: Do I have to remove manually these files from the Data folder?

As far as I know yes , deleting the Material in the User Library does not also delete the Texture in the Textures folder ( in case you want to remake it I suppose?)

6 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

In my laptop (I use two computers) it seems all files are the same way in the X14 Data folder and in the X15 one. Is it possible to copy the textures and materials from X14 to X15 and, finally, remove the Chief Architect Premier X14 Data folder?

It should be fine to delete the X14 Folder , especially if you dont use the Chief folder to Store Client Data etc , but once the Textures Folder is empty , I think the Library will be pretty small. The Other folder you may want to back up is the database libraries folder which is where Chief keeps your User Library , but you can also ( before deleting any textures) Right Click on the User Library and Export it as a Backup to a safe location e.g. an external Drive.

M.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:02 PM, Kbird1 said:

It should be fine to delete the X14 Folder , especially if you dont use the Chief folder to Store Client Data etc , but once the Textures Folder is empty , I think the Library will be pretty small. The Other folder you may want to back up is the database libraries folder which is where Chief keeps your User Library , but you can also ( before deleting any textures) Right Click on the User Library and Export it as a Backup to a safe location e.g. an external Drive.

M.

Many thanks for the info, Mick.:) I think I have a hard work until getting the data folders clean. I haven't moved anything since X12 version and now I'm seeing that there are materials and textures that should not be there. Despite I have organized my own stuff in folders, there are copies of library's materials and so. I don't want to fill my hardisk with things I don't use either. ^_^

Many thanks for the help again :D