STAIR ISSUE

BruceKC

I can't figure out how to do stairs so that they show correctly on each floor.  The basement is no problem, but when I get to the main floor, the stairs will actually widen to sit in the proper spot (see pictures).  I can do that, and in 3D it's just fine, but in plan view if I do that, the main floor shows the stair going to the 2nd floor as wide and not showing the actual stairs on the main floor descending between walls to the basement.  It's driving me crazy trying to figure this out (that's a short drive for me.).  I'm sure this isn't very well put and maybe not explaining the situation correctly.

STAIR FL00.jpg

STAIR FL01.jpg

6 hours ago, BruceKC said:

I'm sure this isn't very well put and maybe not explaining the situation correctly.

I'm not sure what the issue(s) is to be honest and my guess is so is everyone else since many have viewed the Thread but there are no answers....

Are you using the Breakline Tab to see Stacked Stair Cases?

M.

I'm with Mick here in that I got lost in your description of what the problem is.  As a general rule, stairs will look the same on the floor above as they do on the floor below as long as they are in an open below room (other than the up arrow will show as a down arrow).  f this is not working for you, then post your plan and I bet someone can figure out why.  If you actually want it to look different, I'm not sure why but you need to explain it a little bit different.  You can change the settings for how they look on different floors when you are using stair breaklines but I don't think this is what you are trying to do.

Hi Bruce,

It seems that the problem that you are seeing, from what I can figure out from your post, is the handrail changes where there is wall adjacent and where there isn't a wall adjacent.

image.thumb.png.7f250ea49cfe0427c77afd24751eb5e9.png

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.  It was a very difficult issue to express, and I'm afraid I did a very poor job.  I was familiar with the "break tool", but only as a symbol and really never used it.  But now I realize that it will allow me to show the stairs below at some point and that was the issue I was trying to figure out.  Again, Thanks to everyone.

1 hour ago, BruceKC said:

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.  It was a very difficult issue to express, and I'm afraid I did a very poor job.  I was familiar with the "break tool", but only as a symbol and really never used it.  But now I realize that it will allow me to show the stairs below at some point and that was the issue I was trying to figure out.  Again, Thanks to everyone.

sometimes it is hard to explain a problem to someone else when you can so clearly see what is wrong yourself.  I get it.  Hopefully the answers here helped.  One thing that usually helps is to post the actual plan file as well although in this case, I don't think it would have made any difference. 

On 5/23/2023 at 1:08 PM, BruceKC said:

I can't figure out how to do stairs so that they show correctly on each floor

I think what you have to keep in mind with stairs, is that there should be a "breakline".  Anything above the breakline is dashed, or whatever you please.

Where's the breakling, you ask?

Well, if you look at your floor plan and can see an opening where the doors are then the "cut-view" is a little below your door headers.

So if you have 80" doors then you are probably looking at a plan view that has a breakling/cutline at around 78".

If you really want to see the effect of this and see exactly how your stairs should appear, then take a perspective floor overview and select a top view.

Then use the cross section slider and set it to 78".

This is what your floor plan is showing you in 2D.  Try to match that with your stairs, as well.

An orthographic floor overview would be better but for some crazy reason Chief won't allow us to use the cross section slider in this view for some strange reason.

Too bad, because we could overlay the 2D floor plan over this in a layout and get a true annotated dollhouse view.

Maybe X16?