index of refraction

decorators3

HI

I have been trying to determine exactly what INDEX OF REFRACTION means in exterior ray trace view.  I see various options for glass but not sure if this is something  I need to adjust or go with what the system has  default.  If the glass is adjusted does it make any difference to the window reflection

Thanks

Levina

(It's in the Material definition)

8 hours ago, decorators3 said:

I have been trying to determine exactly what INDEX OF REFRACTION means in exterior ray trace view.

IOR in Chief is a smidge misleading as it implies it only affects refraction, but it certainly controls reflection as well.

It's not really getting into the nitty gritty of real world optics, merely imitating it. in Chief, the IOR simply controls how much photons will interact with the material - so the larger the number, the more reflective and refractive the material will be.

reflective index of 2.4 should be VERY reflective -- but only in a Ray Trace view.

Default glass is 1.52

image.thumb.png.f88672c98b3f029329317acf1a4f07b9.png

2.4 is slightly less than that of a diamond:

image.thumb.png.551d8bbfeab745b42b3b8355b5247eb0.png

Keep in mind too that this is considering the old CPU ray tracer. The new RTRT engine is much better at this stuff

image.thumb.png.f43f3de87b76e0afcecc7b6dba0b1b79.pngimage.thumb.png.dfddf5cd5c65e3256be4c873f785c038.png

(crown glass vs diamond)