rendering tile in elevations and 3-d views

ArtsyG

I am struggling with a couple of things and would appreciate some help.  

1. I am trying to render 12x24 tile in a staggered joint configuration. I can't find any symbols in the materials libraries that have this type of symbol. I know that I can enlarge a 3x6 subway tile and use this, but are there any other options?

2. When I try to render a floor (and sometimes a wall) patterned material - such as tile or wood plank flooring - in the vector or line drawing view, it will NOT render in the direction that I tell it to. Even if I've changed the direction of the material in the "select material, edit", to 90 degrees, when I go to a 3-d view, it changes it back to the default. HELP!

3. If I put a tile on a wall, it gives me a sliver of tile at the top and side, and doesn't fill up the area with full tiles, even if the area is sized for full tiles. 

Thank you

23 hours ago, ArtsyG said:

I am struggling with a couple of things and would appreciate some help.  

1. I am trying to render 12x24 tile in a staggered joint configuration. I can't find any symbols in the materials libraries that have this type of symbol. I know that I can enlarge a 3x6 subway tile and use this, but are there any other options?

2. When I try to render a floor (and sometimes a wall) patterned material - such as tile or wood plank flooring - in the vector or line drawing view, it will NOT render in the direction that I tell it to. Even if I've changed the direction of the material in the "select material, edit", to 90 degrees, when I go to a 3-d view, it changes it back to the default. HELP!

3. If I put a tile on a wall, it gives me a sliver of tile at the top and side, and doesn't fill up the area with full tiles, even if the area is sized for full tiles. 

Thank you

You'd be best to post a sample Plan, as there is no way to tell what is wrong with your Materials otherwise.

You could also have a look at this Post of mine on making Tile ( 12x24 with 1/3 offset actually)  pretty simply just using Window's Built in "Paint" Program.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/24813-how-to-make-a-screen-grab-of-a-tile-into-a-tile-material-in-chief /?tab=comments#comment-200824

M.

1.  a picture of what you want would help.

2. there are separate angle controls for the pattern and texture.  you probably need to make them the same.

3. the program won't necessarily align the material with the sides the way that you would when you layout tile.  you can offset the texture (and pattern!) and sometimes get the layout you want but it's a bit of a pain and sometimes you need to use different materials for different objects or even different parts of an object.  

Interestingly enough I came here searching the same issue. 

12 x 24 tiles do not represent well. I have tried so many ways. 

Today I downloaded Substance Player and made my own however you are not really choosing the size of the tile, just the ratio. 

So when I applied the Maps the size are smaller than the tiles on the floor. 

The grout is a light gray so its tough to see. 

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 4.44.24 PM.png

1 hour ago, MBAmberleaf said:

Second bathroom with 12 x 24 Tiles but it will not offset no matter how much I change the settings. 

Surprised this is an issue. But I have had no luck 

Would love to sort this out. 

Not quite sure what the Issue is but if the Texture is not Offset , then you won't see an Offset in 3D Cameras.......

See the link in the 2nd post, if what you have is a single Tile Image, to make your own Offset Tile Image....

Mick.

44 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Not quite sure what the Issue is but if the Texture is not Offset , then you won't see an Offset in 3D Cameras.......

See the link in the 2nd post, if what you have is a single Tile Image, to make your own Offset Tile Image....

Mick.

Hi, the issue is texture Is offset, but it does not change in the rendered view. 

7 minutes ago, MBAmberleaf said:

Hi, the issue is texture Is offset, but it does not change in the rendered view. 

Add the texture to your post above please..... I am curious and also export the material out of Chief and add the .calibz file too.

M.