Hello, Corner Windows Have Appeared... Sort Of....

dshall

Put in a window opening in a corner situation at interior of house....  looking good!

Put in a window opening in a corner situation at exterior of house....  looking good.......  almost perfect.....  at least much much better than before.

Thanks

post-50-0-53788600-1423762439_thumb.jpg

Scott,

Was this a lot easier than in prior versions?

What does the wall framing look like?

What happens if you include casings, sills, lintels?

I just did vid,  I will post when done.

Playing golf at RBI if interested.  11:30 tee time.  We have it for 2 people,  if you want to play,  give them a call and let them know you would like to join us.

.......Scott, my wife has an extra pass for the ATT tomorrow. What are you doing at work?

The West Coast,  Carmel,  Pebble Beach,   Golf......  what could be better......  Alan,  if I did not have so many trips planned this year, I would be up there in a heart beat,  thanks for the offer.  I must pass this year.  Ask you wife if she can get a pass for next year,  I will be there.

There are a couple of keys to the corner window:

1.  Set each window to have no frame.

2.  In the Framing Tab, set the trimmers to 0, set the RO gaps (or whatever their called) to 0

3.  Grab the window in Plan and slide away from the corner and then back to the corner firmly. Do with both windows.

4.  Set the Casings Off (both interior & Exterior

I think that's pretty much it.  I prefer to use a Pass Thru and then add a Molding Polyline (2 segments) with 3 moldings (one for bottom frame, one for top frame & one for glass).  Then I add a couple of solids for the vertical frame members.

If you save the Molding Polyline & Solids to the Library you won't have to define them again in the future.

As cool as the no-post look is at a corner, the build is an expensive one, and the window product is very high cost also.

My need for a window-tight-to-corner is to have a 4x4 corner post (actual 3.5" square) in 2x6 framing, and X7 still does not permit this.

You can do the slam and get a post of 2 and a fraction inches, but you cannot edit it to get a 3.5" frame post.

I agree with Gene, anything like this on the exterior of the house if there is no frame you have to use structural glass which is like Gene said will put a hole in your pocket. Even using a window frame it will have to be a structurally reinforced frame, because every corner in the house is carrying a roof load in one way or another.

They are done all the time and we really don't use structural glass ,we cantilever beams, done very simply in residences. I don't think the window frame has anything to do with it, if I understand you correctly.

Yeah,  just did it on a recent job.  Cantilever out headers and  put some temp glass in there...  I do not think the glass was "structural".

post-50-0-23116700-1424023453_thumb.jpg