How to draw a new bearing wall in front of an existing one

CanadaChristine

Hi.  I'm working on a renovation which requires a new bearing wall to be framed immediately outside of an existing exterior wall which currently has a 4" brick veneer on it.  The brick will be removed and a 2x4 wall framed up an inch or so away from the original stud wall, which remains in place.  A new stone veneer will then be placed in front of the new 2x4 wall, finishing the outside off again.

Any ideas on how best to handle this in Chief?

23 hours ago, CanadaChristine said:

Any ideas on how best to handle this in Chief?

Rob's Method should work, but Furred Walls, especially on a Full House, can be problematic due to the way they join at intersections and Corners, so depending on the situation? I'd probably copy the existing Ext. Wall Definition and then add the new Layers to it and define the layers etc so the Existing Wall stays where it is if need ( ie. inner Framing location remains the same.)

Mick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Rob's Method should work, but Furred Walls, especially on a Full House, can be problematic due to the way they join at intersections and Corners

I agree. Rob's method will work but is more problematic when working outside of exterior walls due to foundation walls, corners, and especially at three way intersections of interior walls.  I would probably adjust the wall definition in this case as well due to those issues although I generally do the furred wall on interiors such as basements.