Still Struggling With 'Clipped' Views

HumbleChief

Which makes me wonder why the 'feature' is even included for elevations as it will send all of the data that's on the page pretty much no matter whether or not the 'Clip Elevation' box is checked or not and no matter where the clipped lines are located. I don't think this is intended behavior.

I would like to see the clipped lines box be honored and send only the info in that box to Layout. I sent it in to tech.

12 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Which makes me wonder why the 'feature' is even included for elevations as it will send all of the data that's on the page pretty much no matter whether or not the 'Clip Elevation' box is checked or not and no matter where the clipped lines are located. I don't think this is intended behavior.

I think its entirely intended.  It's sending everything that's being displayed in your view.  This gives us the ability to create a clipped view and then annotate or otherwise dress up the view with CAD/Text objects that extend outside the clipped area.  If you don't want the various CAD in your view I would argue that it probably shouldn't be there at all.  If you need to leave it there and would like only the clipped area to send to layout, maybe try turning the unwanted layers off before sending or group selecting and cutting the objects to your clipboard before sending.  Then when you're done sending the view, Paste Hold Position.

12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think its entirely intended.  It's sending everything that's being displayed in your view.  This gives us the ability to create a clipped view and then annotate or otherwise dress up the view with CAD/Text objects that extend outside the clipped area.  If you don't want the various CAD in your view I would argue that it probably shouldn't be there at all.  If you need to leave it there and would like only the clipped area to send to layout, maybe try turning the unwanted layers off before sending or group selecting and cutting the objects to your clipboard before sending.  Then when you're done sending the view, Paste Hold Position.

Thanks Michael and perhaps you're right but I think a Clipped View>Clip Elevation should be 'Clipped' and limited to the data inside the clipped box and NOT send "everything that's being displayed in your view" as if the clipped box has no real relevance as to the data/info being sent to Layout. One man's opinion and easy to deal with once the behavior is understood.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

When sending an elevation I just zoom in on what I want to send and hit Current Screen. Usually have to adjust only one side.

The 'feature' works really well once understood, and once understood, none of that is needed but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so will thrash through.....

32 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The 'feature'

You seem to be suggesting that this tool is somehow broken or doing something its not supposed to do but its working exactly as intended.  Its designed to clip the camera view, period.  Its not a layout tool.  What you seem to want is a different tool entirely.  In fact, the thing you seem to be looking for is exactly the thing we already have in layout.  You can already simply clip your layout box. Clipping camera views allows for removing unwanted 3D information while still allowing for CAD whereas clipping the layout box removes everything.  2 different tools for 2 different purposes.  It sounds like you want 2 different clipping tools available in Plan so that you can not only clip your camera views but also clip your layout box ahead of time.  Would that really be better though...you have to adjust the box either way.

19 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You seem to be suggesting that this tool is somehow broken or doing something its not supposed to do but its working exactly as intended.  Its designed to clip the camera view, period.  Its not a layout tool.  What you seem to want is a different tool entirely.  In fact, the thing you seem to be looking for is exactly the thing we already have in layout.  You can already simply clip your layout box. Clipping camera views allows for removing unwanted 3D information while still allowing for CAD whereas clipping the layout box removes everything.  2 different tools for 2 different purposes.  It sounds like you want 2 different clipping tools available in Plan so that you can not only clip your camera views but also clip your layout box ahead of time.  Would that really be better though...you have to adjust the box either way.

I'm simply looking at the tool through different eyes and it seems to me a clipping tool should clip the view according to the clip lines presented in the elevation view. That's all. Is it the wrong way to look at things? Is it working "exactly as intended", as if anyone on this forum could possess such knowledge of that intention? Perhaps, but the question is entirely moot as I now understand the tool and how it works, intended or not, and hopefully your explanation and the information provided in this thread will help someone understand the function just a little bit better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

'm simply looking at the tool through different eyes and it seems to me a clipping tool should clip the view according to the clip lines presented in the elevation view.

You are absolutely right!  Don’t adjust your vision or glasses. 

A clipping tool should be exactly that, it should “clip”.

Unfortunately, many people on this forum have only ever used Chief and are unaware of what a clipping tool should be. 
It’s not a novel concept. I think Chief has a half baked tool and hopefully will correct it soon.
…And not as a new feature in X16 but as a fix for X15. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

You are absolutely right!  Don’t adjust your vision or glasses. 

A clipping tool should be exactly that, it should “clip”.

Unfortunately, many people on this forum have only ever used Chief and are unaware of what a clipping tool should be. 
It’s not a novel concept. I think Chief has a half baked tool and hopefully will correct it soon.
…And not as a new feature in X16 but as a fix for X15. 

Not everything is subjective.  We're talking about objective functionality here.  The issue being discussed can only be "corrected" as you guys seem to be proposing by breaking the existing and purposeful function.  Let me give you some examples of what we can currently do:

Send a view to layout without any clipping...

981552276_NoClipping.thumb.jpg.0de62fa4b4a440007db8bd227e1f9714.jpg

Send a view to layout and clip the layout box...

1686722025_ClippedLayoutBox.thumb.jpg.a93e3cc20b8f73ff7311662370fd1a4c.jpg

Clip the camera and then send that view to layout...

933448890_ClippedCamera.thumb.jpg.116727c6de9b60bb3bd61e8469d13b0f.jpg

2 different clipping tools for 2 entirely different purposes.  Just use the right one for the right job.  If you are suggesting that camera clipping should clip what gets sent to layout then you're literally just moving the layout box clipping tool to the plan file and removing the function of camera clipping...or at least making it so that the clipped camera views that are sent to layout need to have the layout box expanded.  No, I hold that you guys just need to request a different tool.  I'm still curious why you feel its inherently better to clip in plan then it is to simply clip in layout. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

If you are suggesting that camera clipping should clip what gets sent to layout then you're literally just moving the layout box clipping tool to the plan file and removing the function of camera clipping

I think you’re starting to understand how this tool should work. 

It’s not subjective. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 5/17/2023 at 3:50 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm still curious why you feel its inherently better to clip in plan then it is to simply clip in layout

When you change the layout box width or height it moves the label with it,  so the label is constantly getting moved

The underlining problem for me is the terrain. I would like to clip to 6 feet of terrain. But I need the terrain beyond 6 feet for the pbr camera