Keeping Aspect Ratio of Camera View in Layout

kwhitt

On 5/25/2023 at 5:05 PM, kwhitt said:

My intended reasoning and process are exactly as you describe above.  The aspect ratio keeps changing within the layout box (even when resizing concentrically) and this is a known issue by tech support.

I think though, because you and I seem to be doing the same thing, if you send it to layout then crop the box, as long as CA does not reduce the camera width or height by more than the amount you crop, you would be okay/

Or put another way, if your camera was larger(width and or height) that what you really wanted, you then send that to layout and then resize using the X, then crop to what you wanted, you should be okay

...at least that is how I do it, I dont care that the camera is perfect width or height, as long as it is larger than what I want because I will enlarge and crop in layout

11 hours ago, robdyck said:

I believe this is officially the 'c' key . The 'x' key is to resize the object. The 'Alt' key allows resizing from a corner and the 'z' key allows movement of the object.

they look to behave differetnly. below are both with the top right corner dragged. notice with the C key the extra buffer to the label

c key:

image.thumb.png.cdfb60d76e5f394c19da561e12543443.png

x key:

image.thumb.png.6a0b3432c4bbb0d0cb43e6f5090123b1.png

12 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

I think though, because you and I seem to be doing the same thing, if you send it to layout then crop the box, as long as CA does not reduce the camera width or height by more than the amount you crop, you would be okay/

Or put another way, if your camera was larger(width and or height) that what you really wanted, you then send that to layout and then resize using the X, then crop to what you wanted, you should be okay

...at least that is how I do it, I dont care that the camera is perfect width or height, as long as it is larger than what I want because I will enlarge and crop in layout

Jason - I think what you're saying is if I make the layout box much larger than I really need, the image would show up with the correct aspect ratio.  That is not what I am seeing.  Further this makes it difficult to keep any consistency between each page.  I am showing one camera view on each page of an 11" x 17" layout and would like all the camera views in alignment from page to page.  Copying and pasting the layout box to a new page provides unreliable results and there is no function to relink a new camera view, so I would have to set up each new layout box from scratch and hope I get it close to the format on the previous page.  As this would be so much work, I might as well export each camera out to an image file and use those within the layout box.