Keeping Aspect Ratio of Camera View in Layout

kwhitt

I have several camera views using the standard renderer that I want to send to layout.  The aspect ratio as seen in Chief when the view is open in its own window is 1685 x 1177 (first image).  This aspect ratio is 1685 x 1177 when the library, active layer display, and project browsers are all closed.  When I send the view to layout, adjust the size of the layout box to my liking, and refresh the view, everything seems fine (second image).  When I close the camera view or the entire file for that matter, the aspect ratio in layout changes (third image) upon refreshing or reopening.

How is it possible make the layout box consistently match the camera view?

As an alternative without using layout, is there a way to batch print all camera views?  All of my interior jobs have anywhere from 12 to 30 camera shots.  It is cumbersome to open each view individually, wait for the render to finish, and export the file.  It would be nice if there was a batch printing feature.

Thanks,

Kevin

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

a somewhat related question, are you printing(save to PDF) to ARCH D. I ask because if I print to ARCH D vs Tabloid, it takes probably 10 times as long (each PBR camera takes awhile), and if printing to tabloid, the PBR cameras are not crispy on the PDF.

so wondering how long it takes you to print 10 to 30 caemra shots? or are they all standard and no PBR?

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

is there a way to batch print all camera views?

Twinmotion exports all selected media using a single function. And for 30 views it would be much faster. It would mean that you would need to export the model and setup all your camera views in Twinmotion.

Chief really needs to adopt this functionality. I have suggested to them that the aspect ratio should be able to be defined per camera, without affecting the main drawing window size.

3 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

a somewhat related question, are you printing(save to PDF) to ARCH D. I ask because if I print to ARCH D vs Tabloid, it takes probably 10 times as long (each PBR camera takes awhile), and if printing to tabloid, the PBR cameras are not crispy on the PDF.

so wondering how long it takes you to print 10 to 30 caemra shots? or are they all standard and no PBR?

Thanks for the reply.  I am printing the camera images on ANSI A to PDF and I've never done it this way before so can't comment on the length of time.  I've never included camera views in my larger ARCH D plan sets.  All of the images for this particular job are using the standard renderer.  I won't use PBR within Chief until they get it fixed (e.g. - glass behind glass issues).  I am running into antialiasing issues in layout as well.  I'm not sure why it's not working they way I though it should.  I am having to open each camera view in the viewport and hit refresh each time I want to print.  It was easier and much quicker when I was just printing the raw images without layout even though I had to open each one individually.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Twinmotion exports all selected media using a single function. And for 30 views it would be much faster. It would mean that you would need to export the model and setup all your camera views in Twinmotion.

Chief really needs to adopt this functionality. I have suggested to them that the aspect ratio should be able to be defined per camera, without affecting the main drawing window size.

Yes, that's a nice feature of TM.  AutoCAD has batch printing too which is why I am asking.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the ever changing window size based on whether I have the browsers open or not.  Like I said above, it's quicker for me to open each image individually and export as a JPG or similar.

Why print them at all? Why not save them using a jpg format? It's much quicker. If you save the images at the active window size, the export is essentially instant for a standard render technique. Yes, you'll still need to export them one at a time...

I usually open all images (in Chief) to be exported at once (group select in project browser), then simply move through the export process 1 at a time. After the first images is saved to the correct folder, the same folder always re-opens so saving is super quick. 

19 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I usually open all images (in Chief) to be exported at once (group select in project browser), then simply move through the export process 1 at a time. After the first images is saved to the correct folder, the same folder always re-opens so saving is super quick. 

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing now. I was hoping there was an even faster way. Therefore, my attempt at printing them through layout which would make future revisions much easier.

12 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing now. I was hoping there was an even faster way. Therefore, my attempt at printing them through layout which would make future revisions much easier.

Have you tried using live views in layout? Personally, I would NEVER touch a live view with a 10 foot pole mouse, cursor...?!

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Have you tried using live views in layout? Personally, I would NEVER touch a live view with a 10 foot pole mouse, cursor...?!

I use them all the time for my cabinetry elevations.  It saves a lot of time with all the revisions I have to make due to indecisive clients!  For house plans, not so much.

On 5/16/2023 at 2:24 PM, kwhitt said:

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing now

What do you do after you export them?

I read in anothe post that someone was using the same jpg filenames between projects, so they could link the files back to layout easily..

or are you using some third party program to print the jpeg files? how does that work in terms of describing what the picture is?

I'm more or less happy with the PBR box in layout, but annoyed that I have to print ARCH D pdf size in order to get a decent resolution. I think it is faster to export images and link them to layout, but jeez, kind of defeats the purpose of sending the camera to layout..so I have been holding out doing it (i.e. too lazy, happier to watch the paint dry while printing to pdf)  

2 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

What do you do after you export them?

I read in anothe post that someone was using the same jpg filenames between projects, so they could link the files back to layout easily..

or are you using some third party program to print the jpeg files? how does that work in terms of describing what the picture is?

I'm more or less happy with the PBR box in layout, but annoyed that I have to print ARCH D pdf size in order to get a decent resolution. I think it is faster to export images and link them to layout, but jeez, kind of defeats the purpose of sending the camera to layout..so I have been holding out doing it (i.e. too lazy, happier to watch the paint dry while printing to pdf)  

I've just been compiling them in a PDF and sending to clients.  I was hoping to automate the process by using layout so that future changes to the design would update within the layout box; however, the aspect ratio keeps changing although the layout box stays the same size.  I guess the only way for now is to print them to file and insert into a layout box which defeats the purpose.

22 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I guess the only way for now is to print them to file and insert into a layout box which defeats the purpose.

For a Long time now , mostly due to the Speed Issues with Live Cameras, I have just keep Camera's Saved in the PB with "Don't Move" in the Name, which I just open and resend to layout ( as an Image) before Sending a New PDF Set out to Clients. 

It's a pity these camera's can't be Auto Linked like the Live Cameras which would be Ideal for me at least.

M.

@SHCanada2

@Kbird1

@robdyck

As promised here is an update.  I just got a call from Nigel in Tech Support.  They are aware of the limitations with exporting camera views to layout.  They are working on a way to batch print multiple camera views and/or send camera views to layout with a predefined aspect ratio.  They felt both should be a feature within Chief although could not comment on a time frame.  For now, the best way to go about it is to do what Rob and I have been doing by exporting each camera view individually to a file and then linking this image file to a layout within the plan set (if required).  

• Like 1

thanks for the update, I did some checking on layouts, and do not see it change the apsect ratio for me. It keeps to the same size window filled  that I sized using the 'X' key.

is it only happening when you do this? :

On 5/16/2023 at 10:20 AM, kwhitt said:

when the library, active layer display, and project browsers are all closed

if so that would explain why i do not see it

On 5/24/2023 at 2:19 AM, SHCanada2 said:

thanks for the update, I did some checking on layouts, and do not see it change the apsect ratio for me. It keeps to the same size window filled  that I sized using the 'X' key.

is it only happening when you do this? :

if so that would explain why i do not see it

Jason - What is the "X" key?  Some type of shortcut?

Another potential reason for the problem on my system is that I have a wide screen 34" monitor that I split in half among two applications.

well, let me preface by saying what i am trying to do and so I am always on the lookout to see how people do it.

I want to be able to send the cameras to layout and then not touch the cameras or do anything more with the layout. Because I want to change things in the plan, such as cabinets, fridge location etc, and just have the change show up in layout so i can pdf them to send to the client, or even for me to review.

So i first tried sending the camera to layout but it showed up as a medium sized layout box (see the second image below), and when I went to pull the corner to make it larger, the layout box would not expand correctly(third image). So then I went to sending "screen as image" to layout and constantly resizing the image and constantly resending to layout whever something changed. Then someone told me the layout box will expand concentrically if I hold down the X key while dragging a corner, I then crop it to how I want...which results in the aspect ratio I want.Which is why when I saw your issue, I was wondering if you are doing the same as me, because I do not have the same issue, and I essentially choose the aspect ratio by cropping.

I have these two on layout and I dont have to resend or export images. they update with the plan

image.thumb.png.078a31dbf45593af29a917664cdaa63c.png

The only "remaining" problem I have is that to get the crispness of the image, I need to pdf the layout as ARCH D, if I pdf it as tabloid, is is not as sharp, presumably because CA is maxing the out the DPI at 300 (CA indicated such), and by having the larger sheet, i get more dots in my image. But that is just a guess. The only problem with this is that a full page ARCH D PBR RTRT camera takes minutes to pdf, while tabloid takes seconds.

Send "screen" to layout:

image.thumb.png.ae6136678d472c8373701ba33c21fc99.png

dragging the corner:

image.thumb.png.a4545a521dc7675f0f3aec98ddda1067.png

uisng the X key while dragging:

image.thumb.png.b39f531f709ae2fabd8f0685696b093e.png

cropped:

per first screnshot above

Now other people have said they export the camera to image, and the layout is linked to that image. Its just a PITA in my opinion to constantly be exporting images.

I asked CA to be abe to specify a DPI per camera. If they did that I think one could get as good an image as one wants through configuration, and pay whatever price one wants with relation to file size. And with the existing cropping ability one can get whatver aspect ratio one wants. which is why i was intrigued by your issue

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

What is the "X" key?  Some type of shortcut?

It's the  "Concentric Resize"  Shortcut , they gave us about 4-5 versions ago when they change how Live Cameras work....

M.

3 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

well, let me preface by saying what i am trying to do and so I am always on the lookout to see how people do it.

I want to be able to send the cameras to layout and then not touch the cameras or do anything more with the layout. Because I want to change things in the plan, such as cabinets, fridge location etc, and just have the change show up in layout so i can pdf them to send to the client, or even for me to review.

So i first tried sending the camera to layout but it showed up as a medium sized layout box (see the second image below), and when I went to pull the corner to make it larger, the layout box would not expand correctly(third image). So then I went to sending "screen as image" to layout and constantly resizing the image and constantly resending to layout whever something changed. Then someone told me the layout box will expand concentrically if I hold down the X key while dragging a corner, I then crop it to how I want...which results in the aspect ratio I want.Which is why when I saw your issue, I was wondering if you are doing the same as me, because I do not have the same issue, and I essentially choose the aspect ratio by cropping.

I have these two on layout and I dont have to resend or export images. they update with the plan

image.thumb.png.078a31dbf45593af29a917664cdaa63c.png

The only "remaining" problem I have is that to get the crispness of the image, I need to pdf the layout as ARCH D, if I pdf it as tabloid, is is not as sharp, presumably because CA is maxing the out the DPI at 300 (CA indicated such), and by having the larger sheet, i get more dots in my image. But that is just a guess. The only problem with this is that a full page ARCH D PBR RTRT camera takes minutes to pdf, while tabloid takes seconds.

Send "screen" to layout:

image.thumb.png.ae6136678d472c8373701ba33c21fc99.png

dragging the corner:

image.thumb.png.a4545a521dc7675f0f3aec98ddda1067.png

uisng the X key while dragging:

image.thumb.png.b39f531f709ae2fabd8f0685696b093e.png

cropped:

per first screnshot above

Now other people have said they export the camera to image, and the layout is linked to that image. Its just a PITA in my opinion to constantly be exporting images.

I asked CA to be abe to specify a DPI per camera. If they did that I think one could get as good an image as one wants through configuration, and pay whatever price one wants with relation to file size. And with the existing cropping ability one can get whatver aspect ratio one wants. which is why i was intrigued by your issue

My intended reasoning and process are exactly as you describe above.  The aspect ratio keeps changing within the layout box (even when resizing concentrically) and this is a known issue by tech support.  Further, the images do not automatically refresh leaving jagged edges even when idle.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It's the  "Concentric Resize"  Shortcut , they gave us about 4-5 versions ago when they change how Live Cameras work....

M.

Got it.  Thanks.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:13 PM, Kbird1 said:

It's the  "Concentric Resize"  Shortcut

I believe this is officially the 'c' key . The 'x' key is to resize the object. The 'Alt' key allows resizing from a corner and the 'z' key allows movement of the object.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I believe this is officially the 'c' key but 'x' works the same. The 'Alt' key allows resizing from a corner and the 'z' key allows movement of the box from a corner.

I have to be honest and say I am not sure if they work exactly the same?, I use C for Concentric resize, in combination with the Concentric Jump for CAD Objects and have always used X for retaining the Aspect Ratio since they made that change.

M.

• Like 1