Alignment of Deck Support Posts with Deck Column Posts

buddy21

1411300701_ScreenShot2023-05-13at11_18_10AM.thumb.png.af4c03f772cf1261dd54702233b56e2e.png

Does anyone know the best way to align the deck support posts with the deck columns supporting the porch roof.  Also, I would like to continue the gray brick design down to the ground.  Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

On 5/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, buddy21 said:

1411300701_ScreenShot2023-05-13at11_18_10AM.thumb.png.af4c03f772cf1261dd54702233b56e2e.png

Does anyone know the best way to align the deck support posts with the deck columns supporting the porch roof.  Also, I would like to continue the gray brick design down to the ground.  Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

As Perry mentions:

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

you have to place the posts and beams manually.

for the brick you are best to remove the column you used above and set a molding poly line at the base of the lower posts and give it the brick/stone material texture.

btw your engineer is going to love designing how that roof beams are landing right in the middle of the windows on the lower level.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, buddy21 said:

Any advice is much appreciated!

You need to tell us what Software you are using to get specific advise and if it's one of the "Home Designer Titles" you should ask over on HomeTalk , not Chieftalk as you may need to use techniques applicable to your title.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

It's also an Idea to do your Forum Signature ( see other in the posts above ) so you don't need to type the info like the version used  each time you post a question. 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

Kbird1 - Thanks for the tip regarding "Signature".  Just getting started with Chief Architect software and trying to find my way.

Perry H - I found where I could align the support posts manually to the ends of the beam but haven't found the setting that will move the beam and support posts away from the house (to align with roof support posts in plan view).  Thank you for your help!

Ryan - Thank you for the suggestion of using a molding poly line...I will give that a try.  Also appreciate you pointing out my structural deficiency regarding 1st floor windows...will relocate windows accordingly once I get the 2nd story deck finalized.  This is my 1st building design so still learning.

Thank you all all taking the time to lend some advice!

2 hours ago, buddy21 said:

Kbird1 - Thanks for the tip regarding "Signature".  Just getting started with Chief Architect software and trying to find my way.

No problem , there's lots of good people here to help Other's get over the "hump" when needed but also make sure to download the Full PDF Manual  (See Help on Top toolbar ) and also Check out the KnowledgeBase (FAQs) which has hundreds of short Tutorials that can even be downloaded as PDFs ( see Green Button TOOLS on Right) as a lot of the Issues you may run into may already have a KB Article here :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/database.html

Mick.

20 hours ago, buddy21 said:

haven't found the setting that will move the beam and support posts away from the house

As Perry said, you have to adjust them manually. There is no "setting" as of now. Has been requested multiple times.

20 hours ago, buddy21 said:

structural deficiency

There is no structural deficiency inherent in placing a beam over a window. It just has to be designed/engineered properly.

948243771_ScreenShot2023-05-19at7_39_59AM.thumb.png.abd8874761341d6400a3678438e01566.png

I have opted for a simpler design that won't incur the expense of brick columns. I also changed the roof design so I wouldn't have that small strip of siding around top of roof.  The next issue I've run into:  When I design a lower deck that extends beyond the support posts of the upper deck, the support posts from the upper deck disappear.

Mick - Thanks for the link.  I will check that information as I run into further issues...sounds very helpful!  I've tried searching ChiefTalk for my same issues but haven't been successful in finding what I'm looking for.

Chris - Understood about the structural integrity. I will make sure wall framing will support deck once I get to the framing. This design is intended to be our retirement home.  Will have to get an architect to "bless" the design once it's finished.  I have a mechanical engineering background and have completed many home repairs over the years...just don't have any experience designing an entire home or using ChiefArchitect.

Thank you both for the helpful input!  I appreciate you taking the time to help out a "rookie". :)

Kind regards,

Steve

5 hours ago, buddy21 said:

Chris - Understood about the structural integrity. I will make sure wall framing will support deck once I get to the framing

You're welcome! I see you adjusted the windows and that's fine too, my point was that the original design will work with proper engineering.

In your latest picture, I would design that with the beam at the outer edge of the deck, flush with the top of the joists (using joist hangers), with the support posts at the corners directly under the posts for the deck roof.

102057693_ScreenShot2023-05-19at1_14_22PM.thumb.png.a928b1cea650ec0fb21c02a05ecf2ba9.png

131729687_ScreenShot2023-05-19at1_15_08PM.thumb.png.b5d8680643c6c9ecefd07666be825528.png

Again, you'll have to manually locate the beam and posts in order to do this.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, Chrisb222 said:

There is no structural deficiency inherent in placing a beam over a window. It just has to be designed/engineered properly.

Did you look at the pic?  Large beams all bearing directly over windows that are in a large continuous run.  Is it possible yes.  Will it probably require a steel beam across the entire rear span of the house over those windows most likely.

On 5/14/2023 at 1:39 PM, rgardner said:

btw your engineer is going to love designing how that roof beams are landing right in the middle of the windows on the lower level.

^

I

I

Just now, Chrisb222 said:

Of course.

That's what I said.

22 minutes ago, rgardner said:

^

I

I

What!? I didn't even address your post directly. The OP said;

On 5/16/2023 at 6:58 PM, buddy21 said:

my structural deficiency regarding 1st floor windows

Then, to help a novice understand, I simply said;

On 5/17/2023 at 3:26 PM, Chrisb222 said:

Now you seem to be agreeing with what I said, but also taking issue with it? I'm confused...

On 5/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, Chrisb222 said:

You're welcome! I see you adjusted the windows and that's fine too, my point was that the original design will work with proper engineering.

In your latest picture, I would design that with the beam at the outer edge of the deck, flush with the top of the joists (using joist hangers), with the support posts at the corners directly under the posts for the deck roof.

102057693_ScreenShot2023-05-19at1_14_22PM.thumb.png.a928b1cea650ec0fb21c02a05ecf2ba9.png

131729687_ScreenShot2023-05-19at1_15_08PM.thumb.png.b5d8680643c6c9ecefd07666be825528.png

Again, you'll have to manually locate the beam and posts in order to do this.

Thanks Chris!  I will manually locate the beam and posts as you suggested.  I thought maybe there was a way to do this within the deck tools, but I guess not.  Thank you, sir.