Default Settings

Pam-millstrong

Would the "Import Default Settings" tool not work for that, as far as importing default settings from a different plan?

File --> Import --> Import Default Settings...

I haven't used it, but it seems like that's what that tool would do. Templates are the way to go though.

As far as I know, there is no way to import the general cabinet defaults.  I'm not really sure why but it doesn't seem like a big deal because there are only a few settings.

Even if you could import these settings, I don't see how this would be very helpful in your case.  You want new plans to have a different default shelf spacing, right?  Then just change it in your default template plan and be done with it.  If you are working on a plan that was already started, you could change it there too but I still think it is easier to just change a single setting rather than go through and import settings.  

In fact, you might want to setup all of things that you don't want to do every time you start a new plan in your template because this could save you lots of work.  Here is a tech article that might help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00463/creating-and-using-a-plan-template.html

19 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Edit the defaults in your plan TEMPLATE and save the TEMPLATE. 

New projects will then have that default.

9 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

You want new plans to have a different default shelf spacing, right?  Then just change it in your default template plan and be done with it.

Doesn't work for Minimum Shelf Spacing.

4 minutes ago, Pam-millstrong said:

@DBCooper My default shelf spacing when I start any new plan is 11" I would like to make it 8". 

This does seem like "incorrect functionality." If you want it addressed, send it in to technical support.

Wow, I suppose I should have tried it first.  Apparently, this has nothing to do with templates.  If you change the setting and save the plan, it's reset back to 11" when you open the plan back up.  Sure seems like a bug to me.  I went ahead and filed a bug report so hopefully, this is something that they can fix.