changing stair style at landing

VisualDandD

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

Hate to ask what might be a 'dumb' question....    I have done work arounds in the past but wondering if I missed something or a better way to do it.

Currently running x14 (have not taken time to install X15 yet ;)

My basic question is:

Is there an easy way to alter individual stair component run styles/properties of a stair composed of multiple sections?

Eg: In my specific example, I want the #1 run of stair to NOT be open underneath.
Then I want the #2 set to be open riser w/ one center stringer.

I am wondering if I missed an easy way to this that may have been introduced in recent years.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.3d5f09fcb93e8c74f74b81056f6a594c.png

My ways of doing it would be to elim the 'landing' and replace with a solid at same ht so sections dont recognize it as a connection point and then manually place 2 stair sections in.

But I would probably just fudge is and do as below and then use a solid to fill in stringer/riser area of run 1

image.thumb.png.55b1ab1a23608ac63c98f74c0cd1f23c.png

• Solution

6 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Is there an easy way to alter individual stair component run styles/properties of a stair composed of multiple sections?

Yup, Shift+Click a stair section to select only that one section, then you can modify it independent of the auto-group thing it does.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeaTime said:

Yup, Shift+Click a stair section to select only that one section, then you can modify it independent of the auto-group thing it does.

WOW....how did I miss that one!    Now I have to sheepishly ask how long we have had that feature ;)

As long as I have been using Chief, I realize there is so much that I dont yet know it can do!

THANK YOU!

19 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

WOW....how did I miss that one!    Now I have to sheepishly ask how long we have had that feature ;)

I think it would serve us all well to remember to use the Help Files.  This tip (regarding stair selection modes) for example is right at the top of the page if you select a set of stairs and then either click Launch Help or hit the F1 key.  I still use the Help files all the time.

• Like 1

I used to 'back in day' when chief came with a printed 2+" manual in the box, sit down from time to time with the manual to explore ways to use the program.  It would do me good to continue the habit in the electronic form.   I am 'learn by doing' guy and only called tech support one time (back in 1999).  I drew a home that exceeded Chiefs ability to move from model to line drawings when sending to layout.

I remember when one of the guys from Chief explained that you can use CAD boxes (altered to any shape) along with the "Edit Area" function.

This is now part of my 'go to' items I use ALL the time when making revisions.  Such a simple little thing that saves SO much time making edits.

Some day, I need to make it to one of the user group gathering.  I am sure that even after 20 years there are some of the most simple functions I have missed over the years!   

Thank you @TeaTime for the help!