Picture in Picture Frame

DougDM

Is there a way to put a picture in a frame and have it show in 3D views?

I made some custom picture frames using solids, polylines to solids, molding polylines etc.,etc.  I made them in wall Elevation camera views.  I want to insert personal JPGS into picture frames. Tried it but didn't seem to work, The pictures imported correctly and I was able to size them to fit pictures as long as I was in that particular view.    Made a Photo layer, placed them on that layer. However, If I change to a perspective view or full camera view with layer Photos on, pictures don't appear. I tried moving them using X,Y,Z coords to no avail.   I realize it's a 2D object with no depth, probably why they don't show up in 3D,,,so what's the trick / workaround,  I'm thinking using a Material Region or the like, as if I we're putting up wall paper.

Thanks for any input

Open the picture frame and look for the material being used for the photo. 

Whatever the material is, copy it and name it Photo 1, Photo 2,  or whatever. A way to keep track. 

Browse for the new texture. 

Meaning... use the saved image file as the new "texture". (The images are obviously saved in a folder somewhere).

Take a camera view in 3D. The image should now be replacing default 3D solid material. 

Tap on the photo texture with the rainbow tool, and set the texture as "stretch to fit".  

This will help stretch the texture file across the canvas. 

It's a neat touch for the renderings. Art work, TV's signs, etc.

Hope this makes sense. I'm much better at drawing than explaining. 

Snip20230430_3.png

Snip20230430_4.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DougDM said:

Is there a way to put a picture in a frame and have it show in 3D views?

I made some custom picture frames using solids, polylines to solids, molding polylines etc.,etc.  I made them in wall Elevation camera views.  I want to insert personal JPGS into picture frames. Tried it but didn't seem to work, The pictures imported correctly and I was able to size them to fit pictures as long as I was in that particular view.    Made a Photo layer, placed them on that layer. However, If I change to a perspective view or full camera view with layer Photos on, pictures don't appear. I tried moving them using X,Y,Z coords to no avail.   I realize it's a 2D object with no depth, probably why they don't show up in 3D,,,so what's the trick / workaround,  I'm thinking using a Material Region or the like, as if I we're putting up wall paper.

Thanks for any input

Doug,

I think I understand what you are after and this is how I would approach it:

• Your custom frame needs a backing in the middle of it, like a real picture frame would have.  Draw it inside your custom frame using a 3d solid.
  • Select the frame and the 3d solid and block them.
  • Save the block as a symbol to your user library in a folder you create, called "Picture Frames".
  • Then import your jpgs into your user library as a material and save them into another folder you create called "Photos".
  • Place one of your custom frames on your wall.  Open your "Photos" folder and spray paint one of your jpgs into the middle of the frame.
  • Your jpgs will only show up in a 3d view, not in an elevation view.  3d views see texture (your jpg) and 2d views see pattern. 

Susan

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SusanC said:

Your jpgs will only show up in a 3d view, not in an elevation view.  3d views see texture (your jpg) and 2d views see pattern.

Not quite correct.

Rendered views show textures, vector views show pattern.

You can have a 3D vector view which will not show textures and you can have a 2D rendered view which will show textures.

ie, the camera type is independent of the view type.

3D Vector view:                              2D Rendered view:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 9.48.30 am.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thank you Susan, Worked just fine, I should have thought about it a bit more than I did.  So, I took it one step further being I wanted them to show in both Wall Elevations and 3D views. After placing frames, while in wall elevation view I imported the JPEG's, sized and placed in frame,   saved in plan.opened the JPEGs and copied files path,  Then in User library, >right click New, Material> Texture, paste path into Source...Stretch to Fit.  To Photos folder etc.,. etc..material painter to frame. Viola, now I have it in Elevation views and 3d views. BTW, prior to doing the above,  I copied all the photos from original location to the job folder along with plans/layout etc. so they travel with plan file when I the move the job folder off C drive to a flash drive enabling me to open on other computer should I need. Re linking them may be needed but I'll have them should I need.

Again thank you.

Doug

Pictures on Walls 2023-05-01_7-51-21.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DougDM said:

Thank you Susan, Worked just fine, I should have thought about it a bit more than I did.  So, I took it one step further being I wanted them to show in both Wall Elevations and 3D views. After placing frames, while in wall elevation view I imported the JPEG's, sized and placed in frame,   saved in plan.opened the JPEGs and copied files path,  Then in User library, >right click New, Material> Texture, paste path into Source...Stretch to Fit.  To Photos folder etc.,. etc..material painter to frame. Viola, now I have it in Elevation views and 3d views. BTW, prior to doing the above,  I copied all the photos from original location to the job folder along with plans/layout etc. so they travel with plan file when I the move the job folder off C drive to a flash drive enabling me to open on other computer should I need. Re linking them may be needed but I'll have them should I need.

Again thank you.

Doug

Pictures on Walls 2023-05-01_7-51-21.jpg

Hi Doug,

Glad that helped and I'm just curious, what view are you are using for your elevation view?  I'm so used to using "Vector View" for my elevations that I forgot that it's also possible to select "Standard View" or "Watercolor View" when in Elevation and the photos (or other textures) will show up in either of those views.  

Susan

On 5/1/2023 at 11:05 AM, SusanC said:

Hi Doug,

Glad that helped and I'm just curious, what view are you are using for your elevation view?  I'm so used to using "Vector View" for my elevations that I forgot that it's also possible to select "Standard View" or "Watercolor View" when in Elevation and the photos (or other textures) will show up in either of those views.  

Susan

Just a Vector View. This was a simple project for my niece. One reason I didn't use Standard view is that there wasn't enough contrast between the wall color and trim, they seemed to meld together with less definition. 

1 hour ago, DougDM said:

Just a Vector View. This was a simple project for my niece. One reason I didn't use Standard view is that there wasn't enough contrast between the wall color and trim, they seemed to meld together with less definition. 

I agree, the Standard View doesn't have enough definition and Vector View is better for construction documents, but if you really did need to see your jpgs in elevation view, using the Standard View and selecting "Hand Drawn Lines" as an option, but adjusting them down so the lines are more straight than hand drawn would get you some definition.  

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 9.08.34 AM.png

Images in Vector view are handy not just for paintings and TV's, but for signage.

I usually place them into the CD's as well as the renderings. It's a nice touch. 

For a minute there Susan, I thought that there was an option which I may have overlooked.

Thanks for your contribution! 

Snip20230503_1.thumb.png.bc3c4a1d67098c7ce4af1e26f515c08e.png

23 hours ago, SusanC said:

I agree, the Standard View doesn't have enough definition and Vector View is better for construction documents, but if you really did need to see your jpgs in elevation view, using the Standard View and selecting "Hand Drawn Lines" as an option, but adjusting them down so the lines are more straight than hand drawn would get you some definition.  

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 9.08.34 AM.png

Yeah thanks, I''m aware of all our options.  I don't typically use JPEGS for con docs, I keep everything live so to speak, just in case of changes. which we all know happens all to often.

This was just a simple project to give my niece some ideas, the opposite wall and shower area is where things are mostly happening so to speak. The photo's I used are actually ones I took of her and my grand kids at her wedding and some everyday pics I took. Just something on the walls.   A DIY project she has going on up in Minn..  If it were local to me in NJ, pretty sure I'd be doing the job.  Thankfully it's not. 45 yrs as a GC,/ New Home & Cabinet builder, enough is enough.  Been doing CAD since 1982 when AutoCAD came out till present. CA for I think about 20 yrs.  Another few years and it'll be time to retire. HAH!..where have I heard that before. Been saying that for a few years.  In our blood, we love what we do.  

If this were for my con docs & permits, I typically use either Technical views or Hand drawn lines all set to zero for elevations.  Building depts.don't care or really need pretty pictures as much as my clients and / or my subs contractors do. Even renderings, I'll just use a Standard rendering and post process in Photoshop. Twin Motions if I really need to go to a more extreme.  Anyway, enough of my rambling. Again I appreciate you help and input.

Thank you.

Doug

23 hours ago, VHampton said:

Images in Vector view are handy not just for paintings and TV's, but for signage.

I usually place them into the CD's as well as the renderings. It's a nice touch. 

For a minute there Susan, I thought that there was an option to that I may have been missing.

Thanks for your contribution! 

Snip20230503_1.thumb.png.bc3c4a1d67098c7ce4af1e26f515c08e.png

VHampton, Pretty much what I do or how I present my elevations in my Construction docs. Nice touch with the color, I do that with my Photography, B&W with one object in color. Ole technique called "Selective Color" but I love it. Well done.

23 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Not to hijack...but...

I love to sneak pics of my kids into my renders. This one looks like a football game on the TV, it's actually a pic my wife took a few years ago of one of our boys playing QB in a high school game.

2022056378_LivingSketch.thumb.png.5b64b055c66c9d3828edee657291a2ec.png

Nice touch Joe, I may steal the idea when I'm remodeling my daughter's house. Throw in my grand kids, playing PlayStation or Xbox. LOL.

Thank you Doug.

The results are simply the program at work. Likewise my compliments on yours... Joey's as well.

It's always interesting to see how folks make optimal use of the software. 

On 5/3/2023 at 8:51 AM, joey_martin said:

I love to sneak pics of my kids into my renders. This one looks like a football game on the TV, it's actually a pic my wife took a few years ago of one of our boys playing QB in a high school game.

I love this!  Good stuff in here, nice work everyone.