Elevation Region - Generating new Countour Lines

GMcGee

Hello,

I am putting in an elevation region over contour lines I have put in the site.  When I add the elevation region, CA adds new contour lines around my elevation region.  Does anyone have any suggestion on why this is doing this and how to fix?

For context, the triangle is the building setback area, which we want to make level for the structures.

After

image.thumb.png.041d32a46ff81bbf9d1c97571a4a868f.png 

Before

image.thumb.png.693649dea632c581c6367f79a3ed7804.png

DAVIS.plan

An elevation region says that everything in that region is the same elevation. 

An elevation line says that everything along that line is the same elevation.

Since your lines go through your region, the program can't create terrain at both heights and will give you strange results.

If you convert the elevation region into a flat region, you will get better results.  Probably still not ideal though because it won't do a great job with the cut and fill.  To get better results, you will have to add/remove elevation data to taper off the edges how you would like them (as suggested by Chopsaw).

2 hours ago, GMcGee said:

Any further thoughts?

Don’t use Chief to sculpt terrain. 

edit:

Downvote me all you want, but this post will show that there is no solution to what OP is looking for. 
The fact is we have limited ability to properly and predictably sculpt terrain in Chief, for the moment. 
Instead of downvoting, prove me wrong.

Best way to shut me up, I wont even mind. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Don't use so many elevation lines.  If none of the elevation lines intersect the elevation region edge Chief will smooth out the terrain.

I would at a minimum delete elevation lines 5,6,7 & 8 and modify the triangular elevation region so it's a trapazoid (cut off a bit of the top point.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GMcGee said:

So I cleared the terrain, cut the terrain lines and re-built.  Still getting some weird edge effects.  Any further thoughts?

looks good so far just pull the elevation lines back away from the edge of the region maybe 2-4' and see how that is.  Maybe more.

• Upvote 2

So I cleared the terrain, cut the terrain lines and re-built.  Still getting some weird edge effects.  Any further thoughts?

So the reason that you are having problems at the edges is because you still have two different elevations at the same point.  Your elevation region is one height and the ends of your elevation lines are at a different height and they are right on the edge of the elevation region.  Try Chopsaw's suggestion of pulling the elevation lines back from the region.  Then the terrain can adjust from one elevation to the next one more smoothly.  

Don’t use Chief to sculpt terrain. 

edit:

Downvote me all you want, but this post will show that there is no solution to what OP is looking for. 
The fact is we have limited ability to properly and predictably sculpt terrain in Chief, for the moment. 
Instead of downvoting, prove me wrong.

Best way to shut me up, I wont even mind. 

@Michael_GiaSo I gave you one of the down votes because, first, you are completely wrong because there is no problem modeling what he wants in Chief, and second, which is probably even more important, your post does nothing to actually help GMcGee solve his problems.  

18 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

@Michael_GiaSo I gave you one of the down votes because, first, you are completely wrong because there is no problem modeling what he wants in Chief, and second, which is probably even more important, your post does nothing to actually help GMcGee solve his problems.  

Chief’s terrain tools have not improved or changed since X6 or X7, when I first started paying for SSA. 

We’re at X15 now. 

You’re good with this?

Chief’s terrain tools have not improved or changed since X6 or X7, when I first started paying for SSA. 

We’re at X15 now. 

You’re good with this?

Do I think Chief should improve their terrain tools?  Absolutely.  I'm 100% in favor of that.

But again, how does that help GMcGee's solve his problems?