Obscure Glass

coffcons

I have looked from time to time for methods of getting obscured glass. There might be better options for this, but I found a method for making an obscured glass with a multitude of polyline solids. They are 1/2" wide by 1" deep and have a 1/4" space between each one. The result is something that works marginally well in both 2D and 3D perspectives.

post-3167-0-82879900-1423606381_thumb.jpgpost-3167-0-37326200-1423606417_thumb.jpg

What I was attempting to do was to get something to work for both 2D and 3D views. My version (9.5) doesn't allow me to change the lite materials so this won't work, Arthur. As to the responses with the texture solutions, these will only work for 3D perspectives.

I'm on X6, so I don't know the capabilities of 9.5, but you can achieve decent results in all views with a texture that uses a pattern for vector view:

post-95-0-73866400-1423667340_thumb.png

...and a texture with transparency for standard view:

post-95-0-69925000-1423667384_thumb.png

...and ray traces as well. If you need a particular style of obscure glass, just play with the pattern and texture.

Thanks, I downloaded your pattern and image file (I didn't have those). It looks like your texture files are what my image files are. I have PNG files in my "image" folder in Chief while my "texture" folder holds THM files. Maybe they changed this. You don't have any THM files?

The short answer is that I couldn't get your solution to work. I can get the pattern to work on one side of the glass (as long as it's the outside) in what's called "perspective view" in my version. In what's called 3D view in mine, I get nothing.

Coffcons,

In 9.5 do you have

3D...3D View Defaults...Options Panel...Vector View Options...Opaque Glass and General Options...Auto Adjust Default Glass Properties?

Glen, the X6 Reference Manual says: "When Auto Adjust Default Glass Properties is checked, the program automatically adjusts the behavior of window, door, and electrical fixture glass in Standard rendered and ray trace views in response to interior and exterior lighting conditions." But, the Manual doesn't clarify the nature of the adjustments. Do you know? I'd appreciate any info, because I'm very curious.

Thank you.

Ok, from memory.

I think 9.5 automatically adjusts the glass properties for windows and doors - there was no choice.

BUT it only did do for the Default glass material.

Check your window glass material to see if it is the Default glass material.

If so, do not use this Default glass material.

Select another glass material and play with it's properties to get what you want.

Chief shouldn't automatically adjust the properties of the non Default material.