Door Schedules

DougDM

X15  

I just did a Door schedule and what a mess it was. (I don't typically use them but make my own via Excel )    With every room named, it took me 2 hours to fix it. Under Room Name, see attached... it would give the (Bath/Living or Closet/Bedroom) I imagine cause bath is off Living room, Closet opens into Bedroom.... I can deal with that, but if there was two closets in one bedroom, one would read closet/ bedroom and the other would read bedroom/ closet. With no way to actually edit Text in a CA generated schedule without converting schedule to text. The problem converting to text you lose the door tags in floor plan. I had to make two schedules, convert one to text and edit it and sent that to plan, the original was kept in the same cad detail so as not to lose the tags. All could have been so easy if we could edit the text within the schedule without converting to text. If I'm doing something wrong, please enlighten me. Cause having to edit the entire schedule, including the order of which it was generated, was complete BS.   BTW, Same with window schedule with a twist, I had a dining room and living room separated by an invisible wall, (different floor finishes) I had a window placed about a foot into Living room (living room side of invisible wall) yet in the schedule it kept saying under Room name it was in the dining room. Both room were named accordingly.  I had to convert the schedule to text and edit.  Again the tags in plan view changed back to window size.  Thankfully job is out the door, But if I have to go thru this ^%$^^ every time I need to use a Window/Door schedule..."yishe" I hate to think what a complicated schedule will look like.

Thanks for any advice...

DOOR SCHEDULE 2023-04-26_6-49-10.jpg

Doug,

Personally, I would

• separate the Door Schedule into one for each floor and title them accordingly.
  • eliminate the "Floor" column
  • maybe eliminate the "Room" column ---- or at least make sure each room had a unique name so there was no confusion.

IAE, I don't convert schedules to text.

• Upvote 1

You can create a custom FIELD for the room name in the schedule but you will have to manually fill in  the room name.

This way the schedule is live, not a text object.

This example is a shower door schedule & the %room.name% only works because the shower has no room definition.

Door Sch.JPG

if there was two closets in one bedroom, one would read closet/ bedroom and the other would read bedroom/ closet.

I think this is controlled by the direction you drew the walls.   All walls have a start/end and the schedule looks like it always lists the room on the left side first.  So all you need to do is reverse the wall to control which room name is first.  BTW, this also controls which side of the door is called the "exterior" which matters if you ever want to change the trim or materials on each side of an interior door.

I had a dining room and living room separated by an invisible wall, (different floor finishes) I had a window placed about a foot into Living room (living room side of invisible wall) yet in the schedule it kept saying under Room name it was in the dining room.

I think the schedule will always display the room name based on where the center of the door or window is.  If the center is right on the middle of the invisible wall, you might need to move it over just a smidge.

Converting a live schedule to text is like converting a view to a cad detail, I only use it as a last resort.

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

I think this is controlled by the direction you drew the walls.   All walls have a start/end and the schedule looks like it always lists the room on the left side first.  So all you need to do is reverse the wall to control which room name is first....

It should be noted that this solution doesn't work if your wall doesn't isn't a symmetrical wall type since the tool reverses wall layers.  It can also leave you chasing your tail if you want different doors reporting to opposite sides on a single wall.

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

I think the schedule will always display the room name based on where the center of the door or window is.  If the center is right on the middle of the invisible wall, you might need to move it over just a smidge.

I assume you mean the invisible wall and not the window?  If so, yes, I agree.

I suppose you could define two asymmetrical wall types that are mirrored to solve that problem.  Seems a bit extreme just to get the room names to show in the right order though.  It seems like a better solution would be to have some way to designate the "owner" room for a door and then get rid of the double room names (which might make Doug a bit happier).  But that would probably be something Chief would have to add in unless someone was clever enough to create a macro that could do this.

Moving either the wall or the window should fix the schedule.  Which is more appropriate may depend on the design because either way you are changing some dimensions.  Personally, I think I would avoid having a window spanning two rooms.  If all you really want is a different floor material, you could also just use a floor material region.  Probably other solutions as well but these are what popped into mind.

...including the order of which it was generated...

Just as another FYI, I see that X15 now has the ability to sort schedules by columns.  This means that if you want the schedule sorted by something like floor number that you should be able to just click on the sort button (looks like a triangle) in the floor column and maybe you won't have to manually drag things around so much.  I haven't played with this too much yet though.

11 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

It seems like a better solution would be to have some way to designate the "owner" room for a door and then get rid of the double room names (which might make Doug a bit happier).

It wouldn't be just Doug who'd be happier :)  I stopped using the Room Column due to the double name problem and use a custom field when needed. 

Normally the Door would be named for the Room on it INTERIOR side eg a Bedroom off a Hall , but that doesn't work in all cases so perhaps a Checkbox under the Label Tab for Room Name for Interior and Exterior would work or something similar?

M.