How To Draw 3 Five Foot Long Walls?

HumbleChief

22 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Maybe I should just get them close and over ride the dims for the plans? Has to be a way!

Try drawing the walls in the opposite direction.  

Also check the wall definition to see what layer is the main layer and what layer is the dimension to.

I watched your video but apparently no matter how loud I yelled at it you still couldn't hear me.  So here are some things that might help...

You will have better luck if you draw your walls going around clockwise.  I can just draw out those walls using the temp dimensions and they will be exactly 5'.

If you need to adjust the lengths, you will have better luck if you start with the first wall on the left and then go around clockwise to the last one on the right.

You need to pay attention to which direction the walls move when you type in dimensions.  When you click on a wall dimension you should see some tools popup that will show you which end will move.  If you select a wall and change the end on the left, then this will also affect the wall connected on the left.  If you then go the wall on the left and change the end on the right, you are basically chasing your tail and will never get the walls the length you want.  This is what you were showing in the video.

walls.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

In addition to the tips @Joe_Carrick and @DBCooper already gave, I would also suggest you consider:

1. That your Temporary Dimensions may not be measuring to the main layer and that your walls may not be the dimension that you're seeing.  So, when you hit tab and enter 5' and see that the wall is 5'-2", you may be seeing the dimension of the wall's main layer and both the interior and exterior surfaces wrapping around the ends.
  2. That when you hit tab and enter a dimension, it's also important that you make sure the angle is correct.  You might have entered 5' or 60", but if the angle wasn't 45 degrees then 5' could result in any number of different wall lengths.
  3. Going to your Default Settings>Walls>General Wall and changing your Resize About setting to be able to control which layer of your wall you're using to define the wall length while you're dragging out your walls.
  4. That the Lock settings inside your Wall Specification dialog aren't affecting anything once you close that dialog down.  The only work for changes to affect changes made inside that dialog.

If you want to set up a private training session, let me know.  I think I could help you become a lot more proficient with some of the tools you're struggling with. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

I'll make sure the dims are close and the printed dims are overridden to show the proper dimensions

Oof, my soul aches. You should never have to override dimensions. :o

So many good suggestions in this thread. Draw walls clockwise so they draw in the right way, use Tab(Enter Coordinates), don't fight the Move Left/Right controls when changing length of a wall...

22 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

1. That your Temporary Dimensions may not be measuring to the main layer...

More importantly: just don't put all your trust in Temp Dimensions. They're there to help but they're not 100% accurate. Draw walls in, run some manual dimensions, adjust from there.

23 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

2. ...hit tab and enter a dimension...

I feel like Enter Coordinates is the answer to this whole post. Just stop fighting the dimensions. Draw out a wall, slap tab, type 5', enter, repeat. Bam all 5' walls. (Yes, of course this is based around the Resize About setting, but since its default Main Layer it's rarely a problem)

7 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

I can't seem to get (3) 5 ft. long walls at 45 degree angles. Oh and I'd like the walls to be measured from the outside not the inside.

My Take..........

1. Draw 3 CAD lines 60" Long at the required Angles  ( open Line DBX and check angle and set length as you go )

image.thumb.png.c8a1f8ae5b69484b44b548807bafd2c8.png

2. Hit Alt-Q on your Keyboard  ( General Wall Defaults )   Choose Outside Surface 

3. Draw the 3 Walls Clockwise , (starting on left) , they will snap to the CAD Lines with the outer surface.

*** initially they may appear the wrong length but as mentioned above you are seeing the wrap around on the ends.

image.thumb.png.cc8b0ea05ac4d71c419c2dead32d3be6.png

image.thumb.png.dc8f27b4b5c334123039bae0176bad9b.png

Mick.

Larry 45° Wall Plan_X15.plan

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

I have never needed cad lines to draw accurate walls like this.  Seems like extra work.

Not really, it took longer to make the post than to do it....... it's just a handy tip to have up ones' sleeve, when walls won't behave or are on unknown/non-standard angles, though admittedly it's not something I do every day or even on every project .....

M. 

well since the party is started, i'll throw my two cents in. I would just draw the walls wihtout concern for length, close them in, hit the auto eterior dimensions, then follow dbcooper with the correct selection of the 3 buttons when selecting the dim to change the wall length

I am really late to this party, but thought the following may be of some use.

It amazes me just how many ways there are to do this and here is another that I don't think has been mentioned.

I am not saying it is the best way - just another way.

You can set your grid snap to the wall length you want and the walls will snap to that grid length.

You can get some very helpful snaps for the walls that do not necessarily land on the grid but follow the grid snap interval.

This snap interval is used even if the display of grid snaps is toggled off.

The grid snap also work for wall lengths that start off grid - the wall will still snap to the grid snap setting even though it is off grid and even if the wall is at an angle to the grid.

In this picture the grid snaps are set at 1800.

The left hand wall was snapped to the end of the line that was placed randomly off grid.

As the wall was dragged at 45deg it snapped to 1800 long - off grid.

The horizontal wall was dragged out and it snapped to 1800 long - off grid.

Same for the hi-lilted wall on the right.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 10.33.48 am.jpg

Okay, if we're talking about ridiculously convoluted and inefficient methods here's one for the pile:

1. Click on the Polygon Shaped Deck tool.
  2. Set it to Define by: Sides, Number of Sides: 8, and Side Length: 60"
  3. Click on a blank area in your plan
  4. Select 3 of the walls and Point to Point Move where you want them on your plan.
  5. Open the walls up, uncheck Railing, uncheck No Locate, and change to your desired Wall Type.

4 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Actually, the Polygon Shaped Room tool would get rid of step 5.  :)

That would make sense if the goal wasn't convolution.  Once we head down the path to saving steps, we're back to just drawing with walls in the proper manner. 

Oh, if the goal is convolution, then I would have to start with drawing all of the walls just using cad tools and then use the cad to walls tool.  Maybe even throw in a view to cad detail somewhere in the mix.  :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Oh, if the goal is convolution, then I would have to start with drawing all of the walls just using cad tools and then use the cad to walls tool. 

Hahaha.  That was actually what I was originally thinking of suggesting. The CAD tools had already been introduced to the conversation though so it seemed like that would ONLY be adding extra steps.  Figured I'd throw something new out there : )