Bay Windows Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dennis_Gavin

Trying to get a real looking bay window and am having fits.  Did a search of the forums but nothing.

(may have to go to old forums) 

the help file mentions an option to connect outer casing but I cannot find it anywhere when I open the window dbx or for the individual windows.

I know this has been brought up in the past but can't find the posts.  (so what's new)

Any help appreciated. 

THIS ITEM NEEDS MAJOR WORK!

Yeah, the bay windows have been largely unchanged for a long time.

Anyway, here's an example of how I do them:

Bay Demo.plan

I checked "No trimmers for Components" and "No framing between components".

I think the 'join casing on the outside' function is gone, so I just created a new wall type out of a white material so it looks right.

Then I modified each of the windows manually then lowered the roof and raised the floor.

This is based on a real Andersen window, but I had to increase the projection about 2" so the flanking windows' casing didn't stick in the wall.

Unfortunately, you cant copy and paste bay windows, however I figured out that if you copy the wall that it's on, the bay will go with it!

Good luck.

I have installed many bay/bow/garden windows and I am really surprised at the lack of library options...I'm from the northeast. Maybe out west, these kinds of windows aren't so popular!

Just to get this straight, these types of windows I am referring to, like most other windows, are constructed by way of a "rough-in". Then depending on the manufacturer, install support brackets under what protrudes or cable to the rafters (or both).

Its a whole lot easier and lighter on the wallet to do it this way then what is suggested by default in CA (to extend out the floor and build walls where you rough-in for windows).

post-82-0-33286600-1423601294_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-05810000-1423601316_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-46346900-1423601339_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-00520300-1423601358_thumb.jpg

Mike G - I looked at your plan.  I was having problems getting the windows that tight together even though I selected no trimmers or framing.  Mine bounced back and would not stay that tight.  Don't know how you got it to work. DId you do it in X6 or X7?  I am using X7.

Mike - Hudson Valley - Yep!

I did it in X6, but I just tried again in X7 and it worked fine.

You might try using a thinner wall for the bay (I used a 4" wall) and I made the wall solid white to hide the fact that the windows didn't quite touch.

I also had to adjust the width of the flankers manually in elevation view.  When I opened the window and tried to adjust the width to 21 5/8", it would drop them to 19" all on it's own.  In elevation view I could get them to 21 1/2" (close enough I guess).

• 8 months later...

Hi,It’s renovation time :) and I am planning to replace windows of my living room and kitchen. I have searched for energy efficient windows in Toronto and found Landmark Home Solutions. I received quote for a single hung window and a double hung window installation from them. I have heard that double hung will be more comfortable and useful than single hung windows.

Need your suggestions. Thank you.

Stick build it... make up a thin white wall, set angle, width, height (rm ht), window dims and all that stuff then select one wall  and set to no room def..

then lower the windows to fit your white  framed walls. on that exterior wall place a fixed glass to show the interior. old school :rolleyes: