Remove Roof over Buildout

Regandoc

Hey,

I am trying to figure out how to place a beam in between the 2 walls so that the roof over hang will not jut out like this.

I am assuming i need to put a beam in here and then the roof will continue on the same plane as the rest of the roof?? but i can't figure out how to do this. Room divider does not work..

image.thumb.png.bf0fb7782294774324645ba9219d7931.pngimage.thumb.png.af4d99dc03fbe625220e4882d18af4fd.png

Yeah didn't work for me as well.

i have found this way that i can do it, but the problem is it creates separate rooms and hard to make it look great. but i guess there are worse things...

Setting the part in yellow as no roof over top, then just extending the exterior wall and marking this section of invisible.

image.thumb.png.52cf179cb04c0e1f23a5ec20d1f398f3.png

I don't think a beam by itself is not going to do anything

There are a couple of ways I can think of to do this.

Have a look at Extend Slope Downwards in the Roof Options in the Wall Specification dbx - you may need to raw an invisible wall.

Have a look at Treat As Part of Bay/Box/Bow Window (with the Use Existing Roof option) at the bottom of the same panel.

Do you want the bump out to have the same ceiling height as the main house, or lower (flat or sloping)?

I tried the Downwards slope and that didn't work either.

I will play around with the bay/box/bow idea that might work.

Well i will need to have a beam going from right to left to carry my roof truss's so i will have to have a dropped beam. so not to concerned about the ceiling height.

Roofs don't build to beams, they build to walls.

One way to do this is to just move the bumpout wall so it is aligned with the other walls, build the roof, turn off auto rebuild roof, and then move the bumpout wall back out.

Another way is to just edit the roof manually to line it up with the other parts.

There are probably several other ways to do this but these two things above are probably the easiest.

1 hour ago, Regandoc said:

I tried the Downwards slope and that didn't work either.

That should work.

Did you create a new room with an invisible wall where you want the beam to go?

Did you make the 2 short return walls Full Gable?

Did you rebuild the roof?

Post the plan if you are still struggling.

5 minutes ago, Regandoc said:

I tried posting but the file is too big.. any suggestions? is there a different way to do it?

You can post a zip file for Glenn or a simplified version of your plan the exhibits the same issue.

I can't get a logical setting to work though so my solution would be to use  "Extend Slope Downwards"  and then edit the roof polyline and don't leave any extra nodes.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, glennw said:

This is all Auto using Extend Slope Downward.

Is this what you want?

Any other settings involved there Glenn ??   It does not seem to work for me.  Alcove perhaps ?

Extend Slope does not seem to limit the overhang.

image.thumb.png.f8086903e505788f87db4e393066565e.png

Chopsaw,

Ignore my last few posts, with all my playing around I had inadvertently left Treat As Part OF...toggled on.

I think that is the easiest way to go though.

Make all the walls Hip Walls and  Treat As Part Of Bay/Box/Bow Window.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok that does work.  It seemed that it should but everything else needs to fall in line.

image.png.04095143e49f3df20292cef4fba21dcd.png

it must definitely be all about the correct settings, if I try this in X15 ..... I am back to the extend slope downward Roof.....

and if 1 try to match the OH manually ie set the OH to say 6" ( 24" OH on main roof , 18" bumpout ) Chief does all sorts of weird things  (Pic 2)

which I assume is to do with the new Heel Height for Trusses....  in another try it altered the main roof OH to 6 " all the way along too :( 

Just way easier to fix manually :)  though I think extend slope downward should do better with bumpouts since that's what it's for....

image.thumb.png.8221e0dddfb0c9bee2197aeb319c13fd.png  image.thumb.png.99e2d936f13f5747832b25e6f7ce1a7f.png

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

So it does not seem to work at all in x15 ?   Maybe I should have posted some of the crazy results in x14.

Sorry 1st pic above is with Suggested Settings,  which is what extend slope gave me,  but maybe I have something else on or off or ???  like Glenn did.

M

Thanks for all the advice! i tried a bunch but the easiest was just to do it manually. Sometimes all the automation of the program does more hard then good haha,

any of you know why my deck is not generating ?

I built a deck below and it worked perfectly fine.. but i build it up above and everything goes wrong! haha

• Downvote 1