Brick ledges

winterdd

I have been fooling with this for a little while and thought I'd ask. Which setting drops the brick ledge to show like the detail below at 11.5"?

mine                                                                                                                                  theirs

image.thumb.png.3fb012a72b168acfab6d309ccef13433.pngimage.thumb.png.88ea3909cdfc44fd98a36f6090e0bd0e.pngimage.thumb.png.5cb24ea27f8428e7a3f43fbf2621bfef.png

I like that method as well DJP

The pony wall can still be adjusted, but the cap molding is a 3D molding. 

Or ...as you suggested, make the entire masonry veneer (below the ledge cap) into a molding.

image.thumb.png.2b5c99b647616e07de69fcdca0884942.png

The above replies are addressing the "how do I make a brick ledge profile look like the attached detail" question, and not 

2 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Which setting drops the brick ledge to show like the detail below at 11.5"?

--which is literally just the Brick Ledge Depth setting you have circled.

However there are some other things that need to be done to get it to do this correctly.

To match that detail I created Ponywalls on Floor 1, Siding-6 / Brick-6, ponywall Height Off Floor at 0", then defined Brick-6 to have a 11.5" Brick Ledge Depth and reduced the default 1" Air Gap to 1/2" to back it in under the siding.

When Building Foundation, set to Monoslab and hit Edit Default Slab Footing to 18" wide, 20" deep (+4" slab = 24" total).

image.thumb.png.ad42cd450f94521abbb21fad50112c7e.png

But certainly, if you wanted bricks themselves to look like that, a custom molding profile is needed.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TeaTime said:

The above replies are addressing the "how do I make a brick ledge profile look like the attached detail" question, and not 

However there are some other things that need to be done to get it to do this correctly.

To match that detail I created Ponywalls on Floor 1, Siding-6 / Brick-6, ponywall Height Off Floor at 0", then defined Brick-6 to have a 11.5" Brick Ledge Depth and reduced the default 1" Air Gap to 1/2" to back it in under the siding.

When Building Foundation, set to Monoslab and hit Edit Default Slab Footing to 18" wide, 20" deep (+4" slab = 24" total).

But certainly, if you wanted bricks themselves to look like that, a custom molding profile is needed.

You are correct, just needed to know how to get that brick ledge depth right. Thanks!

On 4/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, TeaTime said:

Got it to work pretty decent. I will detail the footer later. How come the fdn is doing this in front of the doors you think?

image.thumb.png.b07c8c9ea8731be1cc4d69e7f178245b.pngimage.thumb.png.86531cbfcbd6f061045efec88bc06d49.pngimage.thumb.png.0a074e794f124fa60ac0c98d558c5140.png

If you used a room molding polyline (using the exterior room) to create your brick detail, the door openings will automatically cut your room moldings like base trim inside a room. I think if you use a molding line or molding polyline drawn manually, it will not cut automatically.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember this happening with a belly band under some low windows before. Even though the windows or their casing didn't quite reach the top of the band trim they still cut the molding.

8 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

If you used a room molding polyline (using the exterior room) to create your brick detail, the door openings will automatically cut your room moldings like base trim inside a room. I think if you use a molding line or molding polyline drawn manually, it will not cut automatically.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember this happening with a belly band under some low windows before. Even though the windows or their casing didn't quite reach the top of the band trim they still cut the molding.

I actually just applied a wall cap (sill 04) to the exterior 2x4 walls. I try and avoid drawing anything manually in CA.

Huh.  Would you believe that the fix is to raise the door's Floor to Bottom value to 1"?

Well, anything more than 15/16".

image.thumb.png.4aafa9c779e3d1b9e45a7ebdfa73207c.png

I had a hunch that maybe the casing or frame or threshold or .. SOMETHING was interfering with the ponywall, turns out it's just the Door in general.

Probably send that plan in so they can look at it.