Pivot doors?

Larry_Sweeney

I live in north central/eastern Pennsylvania. The last three people that has contacted me about design work are talking about "pivot doors". Is this a fad all of a sudden? I wasn't at all familiar with them, but in trying to educate myself to their use and just how they work I've come to a conclusion that for an exterior door in our "local" climate it's a bad idea. I was hoping maybe some of you have worked with them and can "enlighten" me a little bit. Especially using them for exterior doors. To those who have included them in your designs, how do you represent them in plan view or show them in a rendering? My feeling is, that in our climate around here, I should do everything possible to talk these clients away from using pivot doors. Especially on the exterior. Your thoughts? I appreciate all advice on this matter.

I understand what they are now and I don't have a problem making a symbol, but how would they be shown in a CA plan view? Just draw a cad representation? The other thing is, from what I've researched, the climate is to cold around here to use them due to the fact they are hard to "weather seal". Especially the sill area because of the pivot hardware. Am I way "off base" with my thinking? Would/can you use a pivot door on the exterior in a colder climate?

It has become a new design trend. Anyway... These doors do indeed work well in the colder weather climate zones. Except that it can be somewhat helpful to have an overhang or covered entrance porch. The potential for wind driven rain or snow coming into the house is increased due to the two openings on each end as they swing. 

Your observations are also correct about climate considerations. High quality weatherstripping is important.  In the North East, the HERS ratings (and blower door tests) involve higher standards vs. other parts of the US where cold and precipitation may not present challenges. 

These doors are often found in more modern homes... Many in Southern California. Where it rains not so much. ...even though this year was different.