changing Door Symbol for 2D/Plan View door

buzzsaw204

Sometimes see straight door wings on schematic plans.  It's a nice look in my opinion.

Autocad Architecture has it (see below).  Might be something for Chief to consider.

Seems like it'd be easy to program, but of course that's an easy claim by a non-programmer.

Jim

image.thumb.png.a2eb9cf176db44344ab96699e85bb5ae.png

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Why would anyone want the straight line representation?  It's definitely not graphic standards.

It's a carryover from hand drafting.  Faster to draw an angled line than an arc.

In any case, having another option not the end of the world.  Looks good in schematic drawings.  Just a matter of taste.

Jim

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I was hand drafting long before you were born.  Never did I see anyone use that way to indicate a hinged door.

Ok, Joe.  I get it.  You don't like it.

Still, it's a thing.  Some people like it graphically, and the OP was interested.

Indeed, Autocad and Archicad offer the straight door swing option, so maybe Chief would consider it too.

Good night,

Jim

• Like 1

In my younger days of hand drafting we used the straight door swing because it was so much faster and easier to draw a straight line using the set square than it was to get the circle template and draw a curve.

But....I would never mix them up now so as to distinguish new and existing.

• Upvote 1

My first job was in Germany with hand drafting.  That's the way we did doors at least in schematics.

It occurs to me reading the replies maybe it's a European and Oceania thing and therefore not familiar to Americans.

Jim

Just one more voice from the old school - when I started in the early 70s, having a Berol ABC template was required. (Still have it) Electric eraser with lead pointer stuck in the end was optional. Have done projects in many countries and Jim's right it's not used much in North America. Not sure how anything's faster than filling in all the doors at the same time with the template ....ahh the good old days

BEROL ABC.pdf

10 minutes ago, richoffan said:

Just one more voice from the old school

To be honest, I only got in 2-3 years of hand drafting before the office switched to CAD (Spirit Cad).  Mid-90s.

I envy people who have more hand drafting experience than I do.  I think the beauty of hand drafting is its economy -- you learn to shown what's essential and not much more.

Kind of opposite of what I call "the Tyranny of CAD", where you are tempted to draw every last nut and bolt regardless of scale.

Jim

• Like 1