Best Requirements For Ca

Vendel

Hi guys,

I've started to build the Marketplace in my hometown in Holland.

post-2771-0-03273000-1423527793_thumb.jpg

So far so good, but now I'm starting with the fourth building.

My computer can't handle it anymore. Running out of memory it says.

Just updated my harddrive to 16 GB, didn't work at all.

The guys in the computerstore are saying it's no use to increase to 32GB.

Anyway, I think my problem is obvious. Is there anything I can do keep on working ?

Are there settings in CA, wich allowes me to work, with maybe decreased settings?

Or is it just my videocard ??

What I do for large projects is to keep each building in its own plan file and then make a copy of each building, gut the interior so all that is left is exterior walls, windows and doors. Then convert each building to a symbol so that the plan file with multiple buildings contains only building symbols. This cuts down on the overall number of "3D faces" your PC-Mac has to deal with per second. There is no reason, I can think of to have a fully relationally perfect copy of each and every building in a development unless you are Lucas Film LTD or the Government.

DJP

First question.

Are you running the 64 bit version of Chief? If not you should. It will allow you to access all the memory on your computer.

Beyond that there a number of things that could be chewing up memory. It kind of depends on what you are doing though so if you were able to post your plan we could probably figure out where that is. Typically memory usage is high with the following things.

1) CAD details that are generated from the 3D model. These can be surprisingly large.

2) Importing of very high resolution images. These tend to chew up a lot more memory that most people realize.

3) Curved stuff. Moldings and other things on curved walls or round top windows tend to add up because in order to get a smooth look a lot of small surfaces need to be generated.

4) Lots of high resolution imported symbols. These can add up and in some cases can create significant memory usage.

Beyond that the suggestion of subdividing the model is a really good strategy.

The images of the model you show doesn't look horribly complex so I suspect there is something that is not so obvious going on in terms of memory usage.

If you can, post the plan and we should be able to figure out what is going on.

It is a very cool sounding project.