Cabinet "custom face inset panel"?

Larry_Sweeney

I'm making a custom paneled side on a full height cabinet. Up to now I've, when wanting a flat inset panel, just made an opening and added a p-solid inserted in the opening for the panel afterward. I then noticed in the "item type" dbx. for the full height cabinet specifications there is a selection for a "Side Panel-Inset". In selecting this, the panel is placed flush to the face of the stiles and rails with no way of adjusting the panel in or out. You would think if you would have a selection for and inset panel you would have an option to recess it in the area where you are placing it so it looks like a panel. When you are making a custom paneled end for a cabinet how do you go about making an inset panel? I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish this and I'm interested in what other options are out there. The one thing I don't want to do is to apply a paneled door to the side for the "paneled look". Thank you and I look forward to how others accomplish this.

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I'm making a custom paneled side on a full height cabinet. Up to now I've, when wanting a flat inset panel, just made an opening and added a p-solid inserted in the opening for the panel afterward. I then noticed in the "item type" dbx. for the full height cabinet specifications there is a selection for a "Side Panel-Inset". In selecting this, the panel is placed flush to the face of the stiles and rails with no way of adjusting the panel in or out. You would think if you would have a selection for and inset panel you would have an option to recess it in the area where you are placing it so it looks like a panel. When you are making a custom paneled end for a cabinet how do you go about making an inset panel? I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish this and I'm interested in what other options are out there. The one thing I don't want to do is to apply a paneled door to the side for the "paneled look". Thank you and I look forward to how others accomplish this.

A picture of the look you are trying to achieve would really help.

If you place a 3/4" thick panel, FLUSH inset into. 3/4" thick side it would naturally appear flush, right?

So then if you were to recess it some would protrude into the cabinet, right?

Ergo create a thinner panel and offset the Y origin, save to library.

I'm just doing a simple flat paneled end wall cabinet. The way I did this one was to make the paneled areas "openings" and then I just added p-solids for the panels. Now if the panels would have to be raised panels I understand there would be much more going on. It would be nice if CA  had a dbx. in the cabinet specifications under the panels "custom face" that could insert a raised or flat panel or whatever. Yes, I'm sure, it isn't as simple as it sounds, but when give an option for a "custom face" then give me options. Not only the size of stiles, rails, blanks, doors, drawers and openings. Or at least a way to "throw" in a custom panel and be able to offset/inset it.

PANELED END WALL CABINET.jpg

• Like 1

No symbols are needed for a recessed flat panel.

All you need to do is go the "accessories" page and set the "panel thickness" to something less than 3/4".  I like to use 1/4" to 3/8".  Now your "inset panel" will be thinner than your stiles and rails and it should look like what you want.

Sorry for not answering back to this thread earlier------Easter weekend had me away for a few days. :)

DBCooper................Thank you for "enlightening" me to something I didn't know existed. I've been working with Chief Architect since V10 and I'm still learning things about the program, many would probably say, I should have known about long ago. This "old dog" is still in the learning phase. Thank you again and have a great day. Also, thank to all who answered this thread. Everyone's advice is always appreciated.