Porch beam not right on porch ends.

mscpbd

Go to solution Solved by Chrisb222,

I've deleted the end rails and dragged the front porch rails around, I still get this weird event. I can't find anything that changes this... it's been a long week.  See the new images below.

Debra

2023-04-07_16-47-34.jpg.65a94b9a02e66e35262c3e9fe3055d5f.jpg

2023-04-07_16-39-46.jpg.9153dafcad495eaffa0a6be0a7dfab1e.jpg

Edited by mscpbd

2 hours ago, mscpbd said:

I've deleted the end rails and dragged the front porch rails around, I still get this weird event. I can't find anything that changes this... it's been a long week. 

Debra

2023-04-07_16-39-46.jpg

2023-04-07_16-47-34.jpg

Sorry unclear what is the problem.  What are you trying to do and why did you remove the end railings?  If you don’t want to see them make them invisible instead and maintain your room definition.

3 hours ago, mscpbd said:

I still get this weird event

I've had this happen too, the main beam is fine, but back to the wall its higher.. I couldn't figure it out either.  So a while ago I decided I was going to design my own post and beams.  I created as a block and reuse all the time.  The Chief generate beam isn't a solid, and it does things like what you show.  Another thing you can't do right out of the box is to dimension post.. at least I could never figure it out, unless you break your wall at every post.  I'd rather just make my post with the moldings and put where I want.  

48 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

Hi Debra, I think I have seen this before. Have you tried adjusting the ceiling height of the porch? Maybe lower it a couple of inches?

Yessir. If your roof plane is cutting the front railing wall and stopping it from achieving the ceiling height; and the side walls are continuing up to ceiling height.

• Solution
16 hours ago, mscpbd said:

I've deleted the end rails and dragged the front porch rails around, I still get this weird event. I can't find anything that changes this... it's been a long week.  See the new images below.

Debra

2023-04-07_16-47-34.jpg.65a94b9a02e66e35262c3e9fe3055d5f.jpg

2023-04-07_16-39-46.jpg.9153dafcad495eaffa0a6be0a7dfab1e.jpg

I run into this a lot myself. As others mentioned, lowering the porch ceiling can correct this. Also, if you want the porch ceiling to remain where it is, try reducing the size of the gable sub fascia depth in the structure panel of that roof plane's d-box. I know, it shouldn't cause this but it does somehow.

Thanks guys!  I marked the answer from Chris above as the solution, it looks right, even if I did have to force it. I'm not sure why that happens sometimes and both of the items you mentioned above make it look like it should. I'm not big fan of it not being correct but at least we can get this project done without putting in individual columns and beams.   I think this must be a bit of a bug with Chief but it doesn't happen a lot, thankfully!

Debra