Copying Full Layout Plans

CFaasDFCo

@rgardnerand @Renerabbitt, do you guys ever have problems with a layout trying to read information from the wrong file if multiple versions using the same name are open at the same time?  I would assume not but it does seem a little weird having several files with the same name open at the same time. 

In thinking this through, that might actually be my biggest concern aside from the file bloat.  I'm not sure I would mentally be able to handle that very well.  I could easily see myself with 2 version open at the same time and accidentally making a bunch of changes to the wrong one.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You plan files are renamed for each new project since something like "Koenig_New.plan" would obviously need to be renamed "Smith_New.plan" when you start drawing for the Smith's.

I have a template folder for each client that I duplicate and rename using the appropriate template files.  In this particular case Koenig is a client's addition project so there is an AB version and a New (sometimes referred to as proposed depending on the client's preferences) file which has various reference views to the AB for demo, etc. as well as a layout file.  Those templates are renamed at the beginning of each project.  The AB version I do a save as overwriting the place holder new file when complete to produce the New/Proposed version at that point there is a layout file general relink of the AB and new file relinking from the template AB and template New versions.  

A way around any relinking at all (although that is super easy at the overall level in the layout since the different views are already linked to a template AB and New files.) would be to Edit all and copy and paste into the other setup New plan template file which may be worth doing... hmmm....  

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

@rgardnerand @Renerabbitt, do you guys ever have problems with a layout trying to read information from the wrong file if multiple versions using the same name are open at the same time?  I would assume not but it does seem a little weird having several files with the same name open at the same time. 

In thinking this through, that might actually be my biggest concern aside from the file bloat.  I'm not sure I would mentally be able to handle that very well.  I could easily see myself with 2 version open at the same time and accidentally making a bunch of changes to the wrong one.

Takes self discipline when having two versions open ( I do this when a client has redone some work and it needs more work to fix their file versus copying and pasting some changes into my file, but try not to work with two versions open when possible.)

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The system I currently use works more like this:

Smith Project

|__________Smith V1 Plan

|__________Smith V1 Layout

|__________Smith V2 Plan

|__________Smith V3 Plan

|__________Smith V4 Plan

|__________Smith MAIN Plan

|__________Smith MAIN Layout

This is similar to my method. The "same name" method being described wouldn't work for me. I often have multiple versions of a file open and need to see a unique file name. I also extensively use File > Open Recent Files to open files, where under this convention all the file names would be the same. Plus it's one more folder level to navigate when scrolling to get to a file.

In addition, I use File > Open Recent Files in other software looking for, say a PDF, and need that unique file name to appear. Attaching files to emails would entail one more folder level, with a much greater risk of sending the wrong file (for me at least).

It's not too hard to Save As a layout with "XXXXX_02," do the same with the .plan, then change the referenced plan file in layout. Plus that is done while still working in the program.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SHCanada2 said:

maybe there is a way to alias the plan file, so they dont appear to all have the same file name, but do

Oh, I see what you're saying.  We can do that in Windows but Chief still displays the actual file name.  Same with linking to layout.  We can link to an alias but the link immediately grabs onto the actual file and not the alias. 

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

File > Open Recent Files to open files, where under this convention all the file names would be the same.

Ya, this would be a problem for me as well. I actually already have this problem to a smaller extent because I do some manual syncing sometimes and end up having 2 files with the same name showing up on the list.  To deal with this, I've learned to float over the name and wait for the popup showing the file path before I open it:

Pic.thumb.jpg.2bc950c676c74522dd0b4da3ad553725.jpg

8 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

This is similar to my method. The "same name" method being described wouldn't work for me. I often have multiple versions of a file open and need to see a unique file name. I also extensively use File > Open Recent Files to open files, where under this convention all the file names would be the same. Plus it's one more folder level to navigate when scrolling to get to a file.

In addition, I use File > Open Recent Files in other software looking for, say a PDF, and need that unique file name to appear. Attaching files to emails would entail one more folder level, with a much greater risk of sending the wrong file (for me at least).

It's not too hard to Save As a layout with "XXXXX_02," do the same with the .plan, then change the referenced plan file in layout. Plus that is done while still working in the program.

Thank you for chiming in.  I think you helped nudge me that extra bit I needed.  Its clear to me that having files with the same name (whether Chief handles it fine or not) is going to cause me problems.  I just know I would have a MAJOR problem keeping track of which plan I was working on without a clear identifier right there in the name if the plan.  I have a big enough problem managing open program tabs sometimes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

plan I was working on

27 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

unique file name

Simple solution:
image.thumb.png.780058004dd506f1627d44221787e39b.png
alternatively:
image.thumb.png.70293d0564059eda3efe297fadd498fb.png
I do it all the time.
I also don't open files from Chief, I open them from the folder, just as quick and guarantees the correct file is open

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

layout trying to read information from the wrong file if multiple versions using the same name

not at all.

31 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Attaching files to emails would entail one more folder level, with a much greater risk of sending the wrong file (for me at least).

I never send a plan file, I send a dropbox link to the project folder
Potential for error when collaborating is far greater when always relying on someone to link the correct file. This was in discovery in a multi-company collaboration built through M Moser Architects and Inside Source.
User error is limited when we simply copy and rename a folder. The process is very straight forward. Copy folder, rename it, open it, then open the file within. Scalable, simple. Easier still when you consider reference files

25 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Simple solution:
image.thumb.png.780058004dd506f1627d44221787e39b.png
alternatively:
image.thumb.png.70293d0564059eda3efe297fadd498fb.png
I do it all the time.
I also don't open files from Chief, I open them from the folder, just as quick and guarantees the correct file is open

That's wouldn't be my problem.  This would be my problem:

Pic.thumb.jpg.67273bc373a4ae2a14b6aba0d9f8135b.jpg

2 files with the same name open at the same time.  This is something that would happen a lot in my workflow too.  No, I think I'll stick with my current system.  I just know I would end up making a mess of the wrong plan all the time. 

12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This would be my problem

I suppose I could've elaborated:
image.thumb.png.dd982d4b9c997cbec27c63587f174fb0.png
OR
image.thumb.png.b81c2b2b251af5bd706349255e514559.png
But hey, do what works for you. I just know this system works well for scalability, multi-seat, collaborators, training, cloud stuff etc.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

2 files with the same name open at the same time.  This is something that would happen a lot in my workflow too.  No, I think I'll stick with my current system.  I just know I would end up making a mess of the wrong plan all the time

i find this problem occurs even when not named the same because you cannot see the full file name. I cant see "john Smith preliminary 1" and "john Smith preliminary 2". you have to hover, and if you have to hover then I suppose one could look at the directory.

This is one thing I like about just copying the file as a checkpoint, it gets the ugly "Copy (x)" filename, so where i used to have the issue of editing the wrong file, it is less and less.

But it is ugly

6 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I suppose I could've elaborated:

I get it.  That wouldn't fix the problem for me though.  Not only does it not solve the problem with the identical tabs themselves, but it also only works when the text box is in view.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not only does it not solve the problem with the identical tabs themselves, but it also only works when the text box is in view.

I get it, different methods, I rarely have two files from the same project open at the same time, it would probably bother me too

I've requested the Dashboard show the full file name for all the above reasons.  I open my plans from Explorer too.  Without be able to compare multiple full file names at a glance, there's too much of a chance of getting the wrong one.

I do a lot of production plan work.  I try not to change plan names so there is no relinking.  I often have multiple plans open with the same name, which isn't great but, overall, it's easier for me.  My file management is a very stripped down version of Rene's, or more like Alan's.  I label all PDFs with the date first so they sort by date and leave all PDFs in the main folder.  Once again, I want to see things at a glance.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

That's wouldn't be my problem.  This would be my problem:

Pic.thumb.jpg.67273bc373a4ae2a14b6aba0d9f8135b.jpg

2 files with the same name open at the same time.  This is something that would happen a lot in my workflow too.  No, I think I'll stick with my current system.  I just know I would end up making a mess of the wrong plan all the time. 

I started sticking the Dashboard in between the open plan and the layout. I always move my layout to the far left, then the dashboard, then the open plan. Any camera view(s), CAD, material lists... I open on the plan always appear to the right and my layout doesn't get lost.  Same principle for two plans open at the same time. I keep the dashboard in between and then move the additional open views for the left side plan to the left side of the dashboard immediately after I open the view. The right plan views will appear on the right and can be left alone, as they belong to the right side plan. It's not fool proof, but it's helped me try and keep the confusion to a minimum the rare time I have two plans open at the same time. 

Hello

In the above image it shows two plans open at the same time ......what is the relationship of these plans  are they interconnected meaning if one plan is modified the other plan is also.

Can someone explain?

Thanks 

1 minute ago, REMDES said:

Hello

In the above image it shows two plans open at the same time ......what is the relationship of these plans  are they interconnected meaning if one plan is modified the other plan is also.

Can someone explain?

Thanks 

No.  They're completely separate plans.  We were simply discussing issues related to dealing with 2 plan files that happen to share the same name.