Add a seconf floor

rpoulin

Hello - i'm testing Chief Architect and i cannot resolve this simple task ¨adding a second floor on top of my first floor on this plan. I have put two pictures. The first one is my actual plan missing the second floor and walls and roofs  The second picture is the 'what i would like' picture . Roof is as shown on pictures 1 and 3, singles 2 sided roof over the house (open gable type) . If anyone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have been working all day resolving how to put the second floor but i do not understand how to resolve the celling, floor etc. measurements. I have included my plan ... THanks a lot. 

Demo1.jpg

Demo2.jpg

Demo3.jpg

David1A.plan

"Build (Menu) - Floor - Build New Floor" main tool bar. Then your are asked whether or not you wish to create a blank new floor above floor one or to duplicate the outline of the exterior walls of the first floor. It seems straight forward to me.

DJP

Hello - I use that menu <Duplicate> or <Create>. I do not want to duplicate the first floor except for the main room (see figure - the red area). When i do create the room does not show in 3D. Further more i can't really work on a second floor since i always have this message popping all the time "A room has a negative ceiling..."  which i do not see in any of the room and i'm unable to fix it ( Reference Support Number: KB-00724 ): There must be something wrong in the first floor configuration- What i would need is someone to fix the first floor right ;)  . Thanks  

Demo4.jpg

Here what is the problem - See picture.
I"m unable to fix the dimensions of the second floor (the bedroom plus the two attics) (bedroom and living are 20x9), kitchen and washroom are 8x8. Roof is open gable. 

PlanoDemo.jpg

You already have a second floor but the problem is that the floor and ceiling heights are all screwy.

You need to go here (Floor Defaults) and change the floor and ceiling heights to your defaults.

Especially note the Relative and Absolute heights.

You wouldn't want the second floor to have an Absolute Elevation of zero - that would set it at the same elevation as the ground floor.

You need to do this for both floors.

You can then go back to the plan and apply the default settings you just created.

The easiest way to do that is by ticking the wrench on the right of the input boxes for each room (you can group select the rooms).

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 2.21.36 pm.jpg

• Like 1

Ok thank you - i do progress !

Now i have something like this, and when i add the roof i get this result in 3D ...Ceiling height problems again?  - By the way i want gable roofs but unable to get it (i'm following the instructions)!

Demo5.jpg

Demo6.jpg

For the gable roofs, select both end walls where you want the gables.

Open their dbx and on the Roof panel>Roof Options, change it from Hip Wall to Full Gable Wall.

Auto rebuild the roof.

Can you post your latest plan.

For the gable walls, select them, open their dbx and on the Roof panel>Pitch Options, uncheck Upper Pitch. 

For the walls above the roof, select them, open their dbx, Structure panel>Default Wall Heights, check Default Wall Top Height.

It looks like you need to do that for a lot of the walls.

I which case go Edit>Reset To Defaults....

It looks like your ground floor roofs need a bit of work as well?

• Upvote 1