A Bit Unclear On Annosets/dimensions

Nicinus

Beginner problem no doubt, but I have a plan with all automatic and some manual dimensions created at 1/8" and I would now like to change everything to 3/32" instead.

If I select dimension and change it to my 3/32" annoset it changes and maintain that size, but how can I get all the other dimensions to respect my new default? Active annotation set is the 3/32" Scale annotion I've created, and I've checked that dimensions is correctly set in that one to 3/32".

Activate the Manual Dimension tool, hold down the shift key, draw a selection window around all the dimensions to select them, click the Open Object icon to open the Dimension Line Specification dbx, then change the Dimension Default to whatever dimension style you want. This should change all selected dimensions in one operation.

Activate the Manual Dimension tool, hold down the shift key, draw a selection window around all the dimensions to select them, click the Open Object icon to open the Dimension Line Specification dbx, then change the Dimension Default to whatever dimension style you want. This should change all selected dimensions in one operation.

Yes, I get that, but I thought the whole point with anno sets was to control all my annotations with a global setting?

Yes, I get that, but I thought the whole point with anno sets was to control all my annotations with a global setting?

I believe the annosets only control what you create after the annoset has been assigned - anything created before will retain the settings they were created under.

In my view that is very illogical, annosets gives the impression that they are a live setting but if this is the case they are really more of a template?

Incorrect,  they are a live setting and can change depending on the layer set you are using assuming the text size is controlled by the layer.

I can flip back and forth between two layer sets and the dimension text size will change.....  however,  I do not believe the size of the arrow will change size.

I stand corrected; the inconvenience with this method is that you need a separate layerset for every annoset scale.

Yes but once set up it good to go. I use a lot of layersets but usually its just a copy of another layerset with a few changes.

I stand corrected; the inconvenience with this method is that you need a separate layerset for every annoset scale.

I do not believe this to be true.  You do need a separate LAYER SET,  this is what controls the size of text,  but you do not need a separate annoset.  

However,  the way I work,  I do need a separate annoset for the layer set.  I have talked about this ad nauseum.  The reason for this is ANNO SETS are king.  If layer sets were king this would not be necessary.

My 2 cents,  probably will not change anything,  but not a big deal to me anymore.

I must say I'm also a bit frustrated I can't seem to change the name of an existing layer set. I would like to name some of my layer sets with the prefix CD (for condocs) so that I know these layer sets affect views in layout, without havingto create copies first of all of them.

Can you guys elaborate on this? I can't change the anno set for a layer set? How is the anno set connected to the layer set then?

Well,  someone could write a book explaining this,  or someone could do a video explaining this  I have not written a book on it but I did do a very long video explaining the process.  You could watch the vid.....  I think it is called anno sets for dummies.

Can you guys elaborate on this? I can't change the anno set for a layer set? How is the anno set connected to the layer set then?

You set it all up in the anno-set DBX, there you can tell it what layerset you want plus many other things . copy another layerset and re-name

You set it all up in the anno-set DBX, there you can tell it what layerset you want plus many other things . copy another layerset and re-name

I'll watch the video, but when I look in the annoset dbx for my chosen annoset it says to use the active layer set, which to me would indicate that I could just swap annosets while still using the same active layer set, and the only thing that is changing should be what is affected by the annoset. In a way it works like this, but like Robert said it only affects what is created going forward and not the existing dimensions. This to me doesn't indicate a live setting and seems illogical. 

I'll watch the video, but when I look in the annoset dbx for my chosen annoset it says to use the active layer set, which to me would indicate that I could just swap annosets while still using the same active layer set, and the only thing that is changing should be what is affected by the annoset. In a way it works like this, but like Robert said it only affects what is created going forward and not the existing dimensions. This to me doesn't indicate a live setting and seems illogical. 

The vid I did probably does not follow CA's protocol.  It probably does not follow too may protocols except for mine.  Give it a go,  I think P. and I use the same system,  and I think it works for both of us......  I am not complaining and I do not think P. is complaining.

I do not believe this to be true.  You do need a separate LAYER SET,  this is what controls the size of text,  but you do not need a separate annoset.  

I'm no expert on annosets/layersets. I use annosets to control the scale at which my annotations are drawn, and layersets to control display; eg my 1/4" Floor Plan and 1/8" Floor Plan annosets are both assigned the Floor Plan layerset. I agree that if layersets were King I could "flip" this method and use layersets to drive my annotation scales with the layer text settings - but this never occurred to me at the time I set things up.

I agree that if layersets were King I could "flip" this method and use layersets to drive my annotation scales with the layer text settings - but this never occurred to me at the time I set things up.

If I set the annoset dbx for my anno style in the default settings to 'Use Active Layer Set', doesn't that in effect make the layer set king?

I must say I'm a bit perplexed by this, and that no one seems to agree that this is a bit confusing.

Imagine being a new user and you want to change the visible layers. You then alter the layer set and it immediately updates the plan. Now imagine you want to change all your annotations from one set to another, you then change the anno-set but nothing happens? 

I think the problems with anno sets and layer sets that can come up is dependent on how you work on your models and your con docs.  If you start jumping around in your plan absent an active layout for your model (e.g., working on the main level (floor 1) and then going to floor 0 to work on floor framing) and you forget to change to a different anno set, and then you add some annotation or dimensions to your plan, then I think you can start running into all sorts of combobulation problems with the those things getting on the wrong layer set if you aren't careful. 

I think my problems arise because I don't have my layout working (in the beginning) such that much of my "combobulating" is done within the model (absent a layout).  If I had my layout active early on, then "I think" double clicking a layout view to go back to the model (which means you're locked into the proper anno set and layer set for that view) to do a little more work with that particular anno set will guarantee that the correct anno set and assigned layer set are being used. 

I think it is possible to work on your model without a layout active but you really have to watch your P's and Q's (layer sets and/or anno sets) to get all your models information correct (text style, text height, line weights, colors, etc.), but I believe working correctly with anno sets (and an active layout) makes it much easier and less risky for errors.

Maybe that's right - maybe not ... maybe I am still all screwed up ... but that's my 2 cents based on my present level of understanding.  I still need to do more experimentation to improve on my work habits.  I would prefer to keep the number of anno sets I use down to a minimum and maybe have more layer sets as needed ... still a work in progress for me. 

I think I need to go watch Scott's anno sets for dummies videos again.  I know I could certainly use a refresher.  I would suggest Scott hold another anno set/layer set webinar if I knew he wouldn't blow his main fuse, but knowing he'd rather be out on the links with Joe beating a little round thing around the country side, I won't.