Hardie Architectural Collection panels

mtldesigns

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Trying to figure out how to do this typed of Hardie siding and wonder what the consensus is with you pro's...  First with a wall type def. I am using perfect wall setup with fur strips to place this panel as per the Hardie instruction details.  The part I am having a fit with is the actual panel.  I understand how to do this if all the panels are the same size... but my clients want the look of the attached "hardie 1", where the panels are different sizes, and line up with windows, etc..  Should this be done with a material region, and if so, how do I define this on a the wall type def., or don't I?  Just take the wall def to the furring strips and MR the panels..?

I appreciate any feed back.    

hardie.jpg

hardie 1.jpg

Michael,

I'm a bit of a newbie with Chief, so thinking conceptually here, but does Chief have a tool that allows placement of a wall reveal?  Sort of like an inverse trim piece that cuts into the wall.

If yes, then I would define the wall type to include the Hardie panel and then place the reveals as needed on the elevations.

I don't think the panels need to be delineated in plan, especially at 1/4 scale.  They can be shown and dimensioned on the elevations.

Jim

25 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

newbie with Chief,

I don't think your too much of a newbie Jim, you  have caught on pretty well by previous post I've read of yours.  

I'm not sure of a reveal either, but I know I can show it with using a bump map.  And I like I mentioned in my OP, I can do a grid or offset grid, but can't do a diff size grid.. at least I'm not aware of I can. 

The reason I want to show on the wall dbx is for BOM reasons.  This builders just likes to know.. even though it would be easy to calc by looking at elevations.  I think he just uses this doc to keep his subs honest.  

• Solution

Yes, you can do that with a Wall Material Region with Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object toggled on.

This will cut an actual groove in the wall layers.

You don't define them in the wall definition, you draw them using the Wall Material Region tool.

You can draw them in either plan or a 3D view - an elevation view is probably the easiest.

Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 6.58.17 pm.jpg

• Upvote 2

If you're a glutton for punishment you can accomplish

a lot with material regions. For example I made all of

the seams in the front of this local auditorium using

material regions set to cut the finish layers.   grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye_40x40.png.70022cca4e4f9ad86a83d8f7c9747e8d.png

AD-RT-58.thumb.png.b3458c6c3f6fa6c0e814a43f6cb6da06.png 

CA would do well to get withTamlyn.com 's architect, GM, and/or media persons to have an aluminum extrusions library catalog. There are many many profiles of reveals, flashings, corners, etc. that simply can not or should not be rendered simply with a 'cut' in the cladding material surface. As-is may be close enough for creating illusion concepts of 'channel:panel' cladding to a prospective client, but doing it that way is an actual nightmare for the actual contractor, materialmen, and subcontractor(s)... 

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:35 AM, Rich_Winsor said:

If you're a glutton for punishment you can accomplish

a lot with material regions. For example I made all of

the seams in the front of this local auditorium using

material regions set to cut the finish layers.   grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye_40x40.png.70022cca4e4f9ad86a83d8f7c9747e8d.png

AD-RT-58.thumb.png.b3458c6c3f6fa6c0e814a43f6cb6da06.png 

Wow. That is a fantastic job of using that tedious tool Rich.  Beautiful front facade.  Way to think way outside the box.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 4:35 AM, Rich_Winsor said:

local auditorium

A true artist....

47 minutes ago, Gr8trim4u said:

4x8 hardi panels with a 1/8 quirk between the panels this worked great for that

it does work great, I'm glad we can copy too, from one view to the other..