Different Wall Heights Same Room

Charlenerene

Hey Guys/Gals/anyone that can help,

So I am working on a bathroom that has a new issue for me. The wall opposite the door is an exterior wall and it is shorter than the interior wall. So the ceiling comes out 16" flat from the interior wall and then slopes down to meet the exterior wall. The interior wall height is 88.5" tall and the short wall is 62.5" tall. Now I know I can lower one wall but that always seems to leave a gap into the skybox. I have attached pictures of the actual room.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Version: x6

Processor: 3.4 quad core

RAM: 16 gigs

Charlene

Design to Shine

post-1522-0-85236300-1423420371_thumb.jpg

post-1522-0-27114300-1423420382_thumb.jpg

looks like a dormer or directly under rafter situation. If you have the room situated correctly under the roof, it will take care of itself, if this a remodel drawing, and you are only dealing with the room, use a ceiling plan situated from the lower wall up to the 8' ceiling plan.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the insight.

Evergreen...I didn't attach a plan because there was nothing to see, other than a square room.

Joey....I am about to embarrass myself. These folks just wanted to upgrade a powder room to a full bath, so that is all I drew.

Doug....I have never played with roofs before, outside of adding a skylight. I will try to do this now. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Charlene

Design to Shine

Hey Guys/Gals,

Man roofs are tough to understand.

Attached is where I am on my plan. The wall opposite the door is the one that is meant to be shorter. Every time I try to change the height it auto-resets to 97 5/8. I have no clue where that number comes from since that is not the size of either wall. My mind is blown on roofs.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Charlene

Design to Shine

My approach is like this:

-Make the room a "no ceiling" under the structure tab
-Create a roof plane, set the starting height to match the 62.5"
-Create a ceiling plane or soffit plane at the 88.5" ht

-Chief wants to add an attic wall on the low side (62.5") I simply converted it to a "solid" rail and set the height to almost nothing

Attach is the plan - sorry I am in x7

x7 powder_room_roof.zip

post-3218-0-57803900-1423499657_thumb.jpg

The manual roof tool  post-82-0-61277200-1423499484.jpg. as Robert had suggested is located within the roof toolbar.

A better approach, IMO, is to know how this room fits into the rest of the house...It will, of course, require you to take some additional measurements...take some pictures of the house and then you can better design what you are after.

As Mike mentioned, the key is how the powder room fits with the rest of the house - the plan file confuses me because the roof makes me want to believe the room is a dormer with an exterior door that opens into space. I suspect that IRL the roof is rotated 180 degrees and the underside of the rafters is creating the sloped ceiling.

OP said all required to draw was this powder room, there is no house context in this

Not really, she simply said she's working on a bathroom. Either way, I suspect the powder room is attached to something, probably a house, and the best solution to her question depends on this relationship.

Not really, she simply said she's working on a bathroom. Either way, I suspect the powder room is attached to something, probably a house, and the best solution to her question depends on this relationship.

"Joey....I am about to embarrass myself. These folks just wanted to upgrade a powder room to a full bath, so that is all I drew."

Thank you guys so much for the help I really appreciate it.

To put into context the powder room is part of a much larger house. All I was hired to re-design was the powder room itself. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal, sloped roof how hard could that be right? Right? Yeah 4 hours later, watched the tutorial video and roofs still was evading me. Thank you very much for the help.

Rlackore....your irl suspicion is very close to the actual reason it is how it is.

Once this project is done I am going to spend a few more hours building roofs, just to play with them.

Again I very much appreciate the help guys.

Charlene

Design to Shine