NOrth Arrow Removed from CAD Lines?

Archnot-Boltz

Dear Chief,

please let me know why I shouldn't be requesting that the North Arrow (and probably the Sun Angle Arrow) be added back to the CAD Tool Pallet. See attached illustration.

I was able to add the tool to my Child Pulldown (icons) bar and place it beside the CAD Line Tool but would maybe prefer the option to have it back in the pallet. Maybe it's better where I have it now because it's more obvious but a head scratcher to find at first and I don't recall any documentation on on how best to use it other than to look for it under the regular CAD pulldown word menu.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

North Arrow X14.png

North Arrow X15.png

• Like 1

I'm ok with them moving them.  Seems to me like north pointers and sun angles are not really "lines".  At least they are not very much like the other lines so I always wondered why they were even there to begin with.

What I think would be really good is if we could customize the tool palettes and put whatever tools we want wherever we want.

I'm complaining about a lack of consistency and expectations here. From the get-go, I never understood why the North Arrow Pointer was a CAD item, but it always was and now it ain't! At the very least, because of the change it should have appeared with the Sun Arrow in a separate area of the menu by defauld. Instead, you have to search it out, find it and then drag to a random spot in your menu.

• Upvote 1

I think CA are in a bit of a rock and hard place with UI. 

I've worked in development on two large applications that grew hugely over time with developers mostly deciding the UI and then at some point the company employs a dedicated User Experience (UX) person and they analyse usage for typical tasks (and telemetry if available) and design a better UI which is much more efficient for most users and most work.  The problem is do you change it all at once and risk alienating long term users or just make tweaks items here and there and better design new features although that is always a compromise at new features need to have consistency with the older ones.

I think Chief needs a complete UI makeover with less modal dialog boxes where feasible, but I feel the pain of development teams and users alike with this problem!

The only thing I've done in the past with smaller changes like Chief make between releases is to add a User Interface Changes section to release notes so that users are aware of changes and ideally the reason.  Normally a dev task record will have a 'Documentation Changes' and 'UI Changes' type detail so this isn't hard to track for release notes.

I've been meaning to make a suggestion where there is a window on the right dedicated to the most frequently used fields which are changed for the object. for instance, door size. for walls, wall type and width, roof directives. and when you change those there is no ok to confirm, they just change.

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

These tools can easily be placed anywhere you wish in your custom toolbars. This is a real problem?? 

When you are short on scree space it is a problem.  It would be fine if "anywhere" included an existing dropdown or perhaps a user created dropdown.

16 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

When you are short on scree space it is a problem.  It would be fine if "anywhere" included an existing dropdown or perhaps a user created dropdown.

I would love to have user-created dropdowns, even made a suggestion for it some time back.

• Like 3