Weird Auto Roof issue X15

amddrafting

X15 working with Autoroofs.  The main plate height for the whole house is 9'  I raised the front porch to be 10' which created the weird thing on the corner.  So I adjusted the height of the room behind the porch to 10' and this is what happened.  Any insight for you autoroof people?  I usually manually roof but I figured this one was easy enough.  Apparently not. ha.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 153716.png

Screenshot 2023-03-23 153800.png

1 hour ago, amddrafting said:

I raised the front porch to be 10' which created the weird thing on the corner.

It appears there is a small return wall perhaps 1"-2" long? which is set as a hip roof 

Is the floor of the porch at the correct level ? if so the Porch R.Plane and the main house R.Plane will not be the same height if that was the intention?  

M.

16 hours ago, amddrafting said:

The main plate height for the whole house is 9'  I raised the front porch to be 10'

I'm confused by this. If the "whole house" is 9', why did you raise the porch to be 10'?

Impossible to tell what you're trying to achieve as the end result, or how to help you, from what is provided.

16 hours ago, amddrafting said:

The main plate height for the whole house is 9'  I raised the front porch to be 10'

In Chief, this is the equivalent to dividing by 0 on a calculator. 

I think the first image gets you almost there, so you just have to manually draw in your porch roof. 

36 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I'm confused by this. If the "whole house" is 9', why did you raise the porch to be 10'?

Impossible to tell what you're trying to achieve as the end result, or how to help you, from what is provided.

I started with 9' plates on the whole house, wanted to raise the plates on the porch and that bedroom to make that entry more dramatic.  With autoroofs this should be a normal work flow should it not?

I eventually found that by raising the interior rooms to 10' behind the bedroom resolved the issue but it still didn't achieve it in the way that would actually be framed.  So I just ended up starting from there and finishing the roofs manually.  Attached is what I was trying to get it to do.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 094329.png

45 minutes ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

This is why we need the ability to specify individual bearing heights with walls or cad (bearing line) lines. 

I think they more or less achieved this by giving us the "retain roof" option so you can manually draw a roof plane and then turn autoroofs back on and force it to work with your roof plane.  Auto roofs always get me close enough and I manually draw to finish it up, it's what I have done for years, just never seen it act like this with such a simple change to the ceiling heights.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, amddrafting said:

I think they more or less achieved this by giving us the "retain roof" option so you can manually draw a roof plane and then turn autoroofs back on and force it to work with your roof plane.  Auto roofs always get me close enough and I manually draw to finish it up, it's what I have done for years, just never seen it act like this with such a simple change to the ceiling heights.

Usually, when doing porch additions etc, I just work backwards and raise my beams to create the proper birdsmouth. I use cad lines and the elevation marker tool which shows the absolute elevation in section or elevation views. In the case of the porch roof not framing to a 10 ft raised porch ceiling, I would then just Raise the Offending roof planes 12" and then manually reframe each roof plane. This back and forth bs by having to create and recreate different false ceiling hgts is a crap way of doing business (which you have to do when creating knee walls in attic rooms for example).