Room Names Eliminated in X-15 Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Archnot-Boltz

Ok Chief, thanks for the improvements in X15 (Except I'm still struggling with your Revised Library Browser and the Extra mouse clicks). But  Why In The Heck did you reduce the number of Room Names from 39 (Nice) to 31 (Not Nice, actually counter productive or retrogressive)???????????????????????????

When you changed Master Bath to Ensuite, ok you bowed to political woke correctness (but I let you have that one because you don't need the woke police up your economic butt). And the same for changing Master Bedroom to Primary Bedroom (which I changed back to Master so big whup).

But, what was the logic or benefit to users for reducing the Room Name  List and eliminating Ensuite, Primary Bedroom, Bedroom 1,2 & 3? Also, you eliminated Powder (why because powder could be construed to be a white snortable substance?!!). 

My request, suggestion is:1) Please Patch the Program and give an x14 Room Name Default Options and 2) How about adding the following to the existing, Bedroom (Existing Bedroom), Primary Bedroom (Existing Master Bedroom), Bath (Existing Bath), Powder (Existing Powder), Living (Existing Living) etc, you get it. This would save a lot of menu editing and benefit all users. Thanks for your consideration.-BB

Room Names Elimination-Why.png

Room Names X-14-39 Names.png

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Hi Brad,

I don't understand the problem. 

You can "copy, edit, rename" Room Types as much as you want.

I don't think there's any limit to how many you can have.  I haven't checked but I would think the X14 Defaults would be automatically transferred to X15.  If not, it shouldn't be too hard to modify the list to match what you had in X14.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure Chief was just doing some housecleaning and decided to do away with some of the redundant room types that were just making an already long list a little shorter and less cluttered.  If we want any of those additional room types in our template plan(s), it can seriously be done in far less time than what I'm sure it took you to write up your post. 

• Upvote 5

How dare they!  And they didn't even consult with you first!

Personally, I don't think they removed enough of them.  There are at least a half dozen more that I would have removed.  They should keep the list as small as possible and only include the names of room types that actually function different.  That way if we want to name a room something different we could either create an alias for one of the built in room types or just rename the actual room on an as needed basis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Per the ever wise Yoda, it's easy enough to call any room whatever you want.

To date, Chief doesn't have:

• wine room
  • home theatre
  • media room
  • W.C. 
  • shower
  • pantry
  • linens
  • chimney mass
  • HVAC duct
  • Elevator
  • steam room
  • sauna
  • pool bath
  • outdoor shower

Rooms which we all typically use, but they're not there on the drop down menu. 

On a side, does anyone still use the designation "Master Bed Room"?  I noted in both X14 and X15 that it isn't there anymore. Probably because CA doesn't want any issues with possibly using an insensitive term. 

We live in a politically correct part of the US and even though every house has an entourage of staff, and live in help (au pairs), the new phrase is "primary bedroom" vs. Master which is consider a no-no. Even the home improvement shows have stopped using it.   

Following the lead of other real estate brokerage communities around the country, several industry groups in New York are planning to eliminate the term “master bedroom” from floor plan descriptions and conversations between real estate agents and clients.

The Real Estate Board of New York plans to vote soon on removing the phrase from its residential listings service, the online platform that organizes listings data from brokerages around the city. While most people searching for a new place to live don’t use the site directly, the update is influential since brokerages rely on the service.

Same... right up until a recent project. It feels strange in having to use that input.

Sears and Roebuck is the where the term was "master suite" was coined from. 

Big Ass Bed Room sounds much better, but since "primary" is the new norm. ok. lol 

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development ruled in 1995 that the word “master bedroom” was not discriminatory and did not violate fair housing rules, which is one of the reasons the National Association of Realtors hasn’t formed a policy around it. The group stated in a June 202 statement that there was no reason why real estate professionals couldn’t use the phrase because there was no proof of a historical link to slavery.

The term “master bedroom” appears to have originally appeared in a Sears, Roebuck & Co. Modern Homes catalog from 1926. The flyer advertised a kit that could be used to build one’s own home. The second-story description of the most expensive property in the catalog mentioned a “master’s bedroom,” but the floor plan did not. Most floor plans used the term “chamber” when referring to bedrooms prior to this mention.

“It appears to me that the phrase is coming from a commercial mindset more than a professional one,” remarked architectural historian Thomas Mellins. Mr. Mellins speculated that Sears presented it as a means to entice aspiring suburban home purchasers looking to join the expanding middle class following World War I.

Primary Bedroom Vs. Primary Suite

The primary bedroom is simply the largest and most attractive bedroom in the house, according to most interior designers (and real estate brokers). It frequently boasts the nicest views or the best placement of any of the home’s bedrooms. This is usually where the head of the family sleeps. The large master bedroom size is generally more than enough room for a king size bed.

• Upvote 1

In my area the county doesn't like the word bonus room. They always cross it out and write media or Rec room. If its called a bonus room they must think it can be used as a bedroom or something of the sort.

I leave it in there just to make them change it. :) 

I once had a client freak out when it was called a great room, not a gathering room. I left when he started driving his car in his front yard to see the turning radius. He was a little high strung to say the least. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

And for all remodelers out there I have to put a (e) or (n) in front of all those rooms.

sure would be great if it was a checkmark instead of changing every one and having two of each.

I'd like this one myself for As-Builts and Proposed Plans....

M.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

And for all remodelers out there I have to put a (e) or (n) in front of all those rooms. sure would be great if it was a checkmark instead of changing every one and having two of each.

And your amendment or commentary to the OP is a logical improvement. Plus Two (2)

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2023 at 12:01 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Pretty sure Chief was just doing some housecleaning and decided to do away with some of the redundant room types that were just making an already long list a little shorter and less cluttered.  If we want any of those additional room types in our template plan(s), it can seriously be done in far less time than what I'm sure it took you to write up your post. 

Easier to delete than to create. Plus Chief's names have drawing intelligence built in.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:07 PM, VHampton said:

Same... right up until a recent project. It feels strange in having to use that input.

Sears and Roebuck is the where the term was "master suite" was coined from. 

Big Ass Bed Room sounds much better, but since "primary" is the new norm. ok. lol 

We already have Big Ass Fans in our library (i think).