Window labels question

someguy

Go to solution Solved by tundra_dweller,

Is there a way to make the window callout have a / between the foot and inches without manually entering it?

I like to call out my windows as 5/0X3/0 SH for example. I got tired of telling people its 5 ft 0 inches not 50 inches.

Most trades people get it but I get the occasional homeowner that messes it up and it ends up costing them money.

The plans I would use to frame houses back in the early 90s would have the windows and doors identified with the foot number then a superscript inches followed by a dash and then the 2nd foot number and a superscript inches. I’ve never seen that on any software that I’ve used. I can’t even draw it here so I’m going to attach an image.

this method was used everywhere and it’s very easy to get used to seeing. 

image.png

14 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

The plans I would use to frame houses back in the early 90s would have the windows and doors identified with the foot number then a superscript inches followed by a dash and then the 2nd foot number and a superscript inches. I’ve never seen that on any software that I’ve used. I can’t even draw it here so I’m going to attach an image.

image.png

Yes that would work also. Might be hard to see on smaller prints (11x17) though.

I have an "Openings Macro Package" for X15 that labels all openings (Doors, Windows, Niches, etc) using the superscript system. But it also provides different labels for headers, jack studs, king studs, rough opening sizes, etc.

A single macro in the package %opening_multiple_label% can be inserted in the Label of the Opening and it will automatically provide all the different labels depending on the Layerset being used.  That macro can be specified in the defaults so that every opening placed in a plan will automatically be labeled.

Very simple to consistently label openings.

The price for this package  is $100 which can be paid via PayPal or Zelle to chriscoll@dslextreme.com

PM me for details and to order.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

@someguyThere are some macros in this thread that should help you out.

@para-CAD Thats what I was always used to seeing too. There's probably a way to do it in Chief.

That did it, thanks! just add a / in the right spot in the macro and it populates itself. Now to make sure I save the template in the correct space so it works on other plans.

@Joe_Carrick Thanks for the info, I plan on checking into the macro packages that you and @Alaskan_Son have to offer when I have a little extra time.

I can handle the simpler stuff but anything beyond that just takes me too much time to figure out.

I'd really like to work on streamlining my process and I think some good macros would go a long way in helping with that.

5 hours ago, para-CAD said:

image.png

I've set this kind of thing up for quite a few offices.  These are all completely automatic:

Pic.thumb.jpg.29a1860f2729a341a32d828595f67fe6.jpg

203350514_Pic2.thumb.jpg.dfe8b5aa9b4c14a632ff58872fa5df6b.jpg

833919692_pic3.thumb.jpg.457aa4efabf59c7b6c4d668b5924528a.jpg

Shoot me an email to alaskansons@gmail.com if you're interested and we can take it from there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1