Porch Slab Foundation Wall Conflict Display Issues

Archnot-Boltz

This issue relates to all things wrong with the ongoing porch slab, porch room, porch railing, porch roof beams, porch foundation walls issue. My attached example is only illustrating the one issue of the porch slab being created inside the foundation walls instead of flush with the outside edge of the foundation wall. I will now have to 1)Draw a 4" Thick Slab at (-)7" that overhangs the Foundation Walls by 1 to 1.5" and if I want  to stop the Z-fighting, will have to set the slab 1/16" higher than the Porch Room Floor height.

Or please tell me what I'm doing wrong because if there's a right, it ain't Intuitive. Thanks-bb

Porch Slab- Foundation Wall.png

Porch Slab- Wall Below.png

Porch Slab- Wall Invisible  w Slab.png

Porch Slab- Wall Z-Fighting.png

Porch Slab-Walls Conflict.png

YES PLEASE!! I face this on every house I draw. Porch slabs around here almost always overhang the foundation walls by 1.5", and are poured on TOP of the porch walls AND are sloped. When there are large stone pillars for porch posts, then I oversize the foundation walls below to make a larger slab up above, but still the porch cap itself overhangs the walls approx 1.5". 

Thank you Chief for watching these suggestions.

Russ

PS  The porch step railing has been talked about - I believe. Wish I could offset the railing as well as the post.

Porch Chief.png

Porch Corrected.png

Porch No Slab.png

Porch Corrected 2.png

Porch Steps.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3D_Russ said:

YES PLEASE!! I face this on every house I draw. Porch slabs around here almost always overhang the foundation walls by 1.5", and are poured on TOP of the porch walls AND are sloped. When there are large stone pillars for porch posts, then I oversize the foundation walls below to make a larger slab up above, but still the porch cap itself overhangs the walls approx 1.5". 

Thank you Chief for watching these suggestions.

Russ

PS  The porch step railing has been talked about - I believe. Wish I could offset the railing as well as the post.

Sorry Brad, I think I hijacked your original post about the conflicts. My post was a bit different. I am with you on those exact conflicts as well.

Russ

I can get this far with auto.

The only thing I haven't done is the slab overhang.

I will keep playing with that one.

Have a look at Railing Specification>Rail Style>Specify Railing>Horizontal Offset.

This offsets all the railing parts like railings, posts, beams.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.42.38 am.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, glennw said:

Have a look at Railing Specification>Rail Style>Specify Railing>Horizontal Offset.

This offsets all the railing parts like railings, posts, beams.

Your drawings are cool - that's what I wanted.

But I guess I'm too dense. I cannot find the setting in X14 for the railing offset.

image.png

Brad,

The height of the foundation wall you show in your last picture is controlled by the Stem Wall height in the foundation room db - this will move all of the rooms footings.

Or...you can do a Cross Section/Elevation view looking at the wall, select the wall and change the temp dim to the height you want - this will do a single wall.

Thanks for the heads up on the foundation offset Michael.

Brad & Russ, is this getting close to what you want?

Mostly done auto with a few manual tweaks.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 9.50.55 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

This has been very helpful - yes, that's what I was looking for. Thank you

I have X15 installed but scared to start a new house plan on it before some more bugs get worked out. But I'm excited about the new features.

Russ

21 hours ago, 3D_Russ said:

I cannot find the setting in X14 for the railing offset.

You can offset the railing and beam by making the main layer of the railing wall thickness the same as the pedestal base. This will also move the foundation wall out where it should be, if you have auto rebuild foundations turned on.

I achieve the 1-1/2" overhang by using interior and exterior 1-1/2" concrete layers in the railing wall definition. This is all auto, X14 (except the columns):

1295645110_ScreenShot2023-03-22at5_21_09PM.thumb.png.8479b1427a25b0a2d96a34dd56ac8da2.png

2060574688_ScreenShot2023-03-22at5_23_13PM.thumb.png.279006bb0f888e39d8a11904edc7730f.png

The plan view will look like crap, but that's why I wish they would give us line display control over railings the same as normal walls. For that, I turn off the railing layer and use CAD. :(

I completely agree that there are a good number of ways to reach the desired results almost (if not) completely via “automated” capabilities.  You just need to learn to use the tools a little better.  That being said, I also don’t this it’s fair to suggest there’s something wrong with the software just because we have to switch to “manual” features.  That’s what they’re there for.  

On 3/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, Archnot-Boltz said:

This issue relates to all things wrong with the ongoing porch slab, porch room

Just as an alternative approach to what everyone is saying here…

The way I do these is the same approach as how one would do a flat roof with a parapet wall.

(If you’re familiar with that workflow).

if not, here it is:

-Use concrete walls to create your porch and set the rough height of the room to be the finished floor height of your porch. 
(Example around 10”)

-If you’re poring a 5-1/2” slab in the field, then set the floor finish at 5-1/2” concrete and the floor structure to be 4-1/2” air space. (10” - 5-1/2” = 4-1/2”)

-Now your floor slab is flush with the top of your 10” walls and there won’t be any z-fighting. 
-Add a moulding to create the overhang. 
-Add your columns and roof. 

This might sound convoluted but it’s very controllable and it does reflect how these things are actually built. 
Your carpenter will create a form for the floor and a little section of wall to pour your porch and connect down to the foundation walls. 

On 3/21/2023 at 5:20 PM, 3D_Russ said:

Sorry Brad, I think I hijacked your original post about the conflicts. My post was a bit different. I am with you on those exact conflicts as well.

Russ

Nothing to be sorry about, your post was pertinant and additive. I gave your comment a Heart. thanks

Porch designation always  defaults to creating a Slab floor structure, Porch Frost Walls should default to bottom of Slab and should not create this issue. Chief has all of this automated crap and why do you have to jump through hoops for such a simple construction detail ? Maybe some of their resources should be diverted from interior design and cabinets to the real reason for this program's existence- Construction!

• Downvote 1