Security question.. downloading attachments from members

DrawingABlank

probably a question more for moderators. What is likelihood of a nefarious plan file or script being posted on forum?

To be clear, I have never had an issue with any file shared here. And I understand downloading any file is ultimately my responsibility.

Just thought about that recently when helping out a newer member with a question on their plan.

You could scan the downloaded file for viruses before you open it.  I think this could offer you some reassurance.

Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, etc. allow this.  Right click file (on PC).

Jim

• Upvote 1

I think it would be pretty hard to pass along a virus using a ".plan" or ".layout" file.  If someone tried to add a virus to the file, I would think that Chief wouldn't even be able to open the file.

It might be easier to add a virus to some other kind of file though.  In any case, a virus scan could always be done to be sure.

It would certainly be easy to add a link to something that might go to a web site you didn't want to go to though.

Maybe I am being a bit naïve, or just very lucky, but I have never had any problems with this forum.  Would love to hear from any other users if they ever did.

I haven’t experienced or heard of anyone experiencing any issues with malware being introduced through this forum. I’m not sure it’s worth discussing beyond that.  Someone could for example come along and share their knowledge of the inner workings and about a potential weakness they see and just give potential hackers ideas.  There are certainly people these weaknesses could be shared with like Chief’s staff, but a public forum isn’t the place in my opinion.  If you have any ideas that may not be well-known, then I would encourage you not to post them here.  

• Upvote 1